Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:23:31 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759190 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #750 on: October 25, 2014, 02:49:31 pm »
with the corner principle for graphs and relations, if they are all integers - say for a given context - is their ANY possible way to maximise the  objective function from points within. eg. if corners are 1,8    6,2    and    1,2     , is there any way it can be 4,3 for example?

It depends on the situation. If they are on the same linear function, then it might and if not, it probably won't.
My notes say, and I quote this from my wonderful Further teacher, "If there are multiple minimal costs, there will be solutions on the same line that have the same minimal cost."
BUT... you must note the situation and the points on the line before you can go around using this information.
It's hard to explain without an example, so if you could supply one, that would be greatly appreciated.  :D
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Billion

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #751 on: October 25, 2014, 02:55:54 pm »
Hey man, this is how i do it, i dont think there is another simple way

you like the colours haha? :)
Yeah, that's the same way I did.
I just thought the assessors report was hinting at another method.
Thanks, and yes, the colours are great!

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #752 on: October 25, 2014, 06:39:24 pm »
Is it just me or did anyone find 2011 exam 2 quite hard? Geo and trig, matrices and graphs

I've been getting around 98/100 then got 91/100 and lost all marks on exam 2

myanacondadont

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #753 on: October 25, 2014, 06:51:54 pm »
Is it just me or did anyone find 2011 exam 2 quite hard? Geo and trig, matrices and graphs

I've been getting around 98/100 then got 91/100 and lost all marks on exam 2

Where did you lose your marks on it for? Perhaps you can separate it out and analyze your faults - make sure they never happen again. Looking over it I remember the lighthouse similar triangle question really was a bit tough.

Looking at the grade distributions. The A+ cutoff for 2011 exam 2 was ~84.2%, compared to an A+ cutoff of 85% last year. And then compared to 88% in 2012. So I guess you can conclude it was marginally harder than 2012 however compared to last years it was relatively the same. Maybe you did it in the wrong mindset haha, some exams I do I find I need to break and just get in the right head space.

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #754 on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:30 pm »
Where did you lose your marks on it for? Perhaps you can separate it out and analyze your faults - make sure they never happen again. Looking over it I remember the lighthouse similar triangle question really was a bit tough.

Looking at the grade distributions. The A+ cutoff for 2011 exam 2 was ~84.2%, compared to an A+ cutoff of 85% last year. And then compared to 88% in 2012. So I guess you can conclude it was marginally harder than 2012 however compared to last years it was relatively the same. Maybe you did it in the wrong mindset haha, some exams I do I find I need to break and just get in the right head space.

yeah i think that may have been it, ive just been doing heaps of exams lately, and 4th exam 2 of the day as well so i was fried haha.

would you be able to explain to me last question of graphs and relations http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/mathematics/2011furmath2-w.pdf

why they subtracted the equations and made it equal 3

cheers man

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #755 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:35 pm »
where do you get the info about A+ cutoffs etc

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #756 on: October 25, 2014, 08:30:00 pm »

redcracker

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2014, 09:00:41 am »
i dont want to make another thread for this - but how many exams has everyone done ??
2014 - Further, Accounting
2015 - English, Spec, Physics, Methods

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #758 on: October 26, 2014, 09:01:39 am »
i dont want to make another thread for this - but how many exams has everyone done ??

94 exams so far, yourself?
- ill be stopping exams tomorrow night so i can read over my notes and relax before the exam

myanacondadont

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #759 on: October 26, 2014, 09:42:26 am »
yeah i think that may have been it, ive just been doing heaps of exams lately, and 4th exam 2 of the day as well so i was fried haha.

would you be able to explain to me last question of graphs and relations http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/mathematics/2011furmath2-w.pdf

why they subtracted the equations and made it equal 3

cheers man

Okay so this question. They're asking you to find WHEN they're 3km apart. To do this we can create an equation to find the distance between them. We can do this by subtracting the equation of Michael's Journey from Katie's journey. It's kinda hard to really articulate without printing this out and doing it via hand but I chucked them into CAS and found I have to use Michael's first journey equation.

We can conclude that if we subtract the distance of Michael's first journey from Katie's journey we will have an equation for the distance apart.

So dissecting this you can see we are subtracting the distance of Michael's first journey from Katie's journey and then equating it to 3 (Trying to find when the distance between is equal to 3)

BUT All we have found is when they are first 3km apart - now we need to find when they are last 3km apart. Now if you were to draw Katie's journey onto the graph given you'd see it is approximately 3km away at t=3. So we know it is approximately at t=3. To confirm we are going to have to subtract Katie's journey from the journey of Michael (This time it is rather easy as he's not moving so d=10 is the equation).

Dissecting this you can see we subtracted Katie's journey from the journey of Michael at t=3. Solving this:

So we can conclude they were first 3km away at 1.625km, They continued to get closer and closer and finally were 3km seperated again at 3km. So for 3-1.625 their radio transmitters would work.

Not gonna lie - this was a wierd question, first time I've seen something like this in a further exam. I guess it shows that only 3% of people got full marks for question 2.

In response to the post above I have done about 25 or 26 or something exams. Planning on doing another 5-10 in the time between English and Further.

redcracker

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #760 on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:30 am »
94 exams so far, yourself?
- ill be stopping exams tomorrow night so i can read over my notes and relax before the exam

as of this post 101, should be 106 when all done (the joys of being a year 11)
i don't really think it was worth it tbh
if anyone is interested i can post a full list of the exams i have done as well as the ones which i thought were actually worth doing?
seeing that you've done 94 is making feel better about my self now that i know im not the only one.

LiquidPaperz

« Reply #761 on: October 26, 2014, 10:50:29 am »
as of this post 101, should be 106 when all done (the joys of being a year 11)
i don't really think it was worth it tbh
if anyone is interested i can post a full list of the exams i have done as well as the ones which i thought were actually worth doing?
seeing that you've done 94 is making feel better about my self now that i know im not the only one.

yeah would you be able to put a list together?

i honestly reckon i should've capped it to around 50 or so, but then again year 11 advantages hahah :)

btw just a quick question, if you look at the attached. Say this question asked, what is the total revenue of the 203 hot chocolates, would i sub 203 into the second revenue one, or sub 200 in the first and 3 in the second

also questions like, mark has a  fixed cost of 1000 and $10 for the first days, and $20 for every day after, find the equation that shows cost a after 10 days, how do we do this?

cheers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:05:32 pm by LiquidPaperz »

redcracker

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #762 on: October 26, 2014, 10:58:55 am »
yeah would you be able to put a list together?

i honestly reckon i should've capped it to around 50 or so, but then again year 11 advantages hahah :)

btw just a quick question, if you look at the attached. Say this question asked, what is the total revenue of the 203 hot chocolates, would i sub 203 into the second revenue one, or sub 200 in the first and 3 in the second

also questions like, mark has a  fixed cost of 1000 and $10 for the first days, and $20 for every day after, find the equation that shows cost a after 10 days, how do we do this?

cheers
theres no attachment, try again? or pop me an email with the attachment

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pYDO-7qCchz4XUaQetMT0ga2X7kdhRJ8Tee2BaeGNeE/edit?usp=sharing
this is also the order i did them in
a little bit of information about how i went about it:
our school did networks, graphs and relations and matrices
i did number patterns in gma and quickly ditched networks after the sac
i dropped marks on 3/5 sacs (2 on bivariate, 4 on networks, 1 on matrices), but other people dropped more (networks lol), meaning i finished as number 1

i finished the course over easter, then finished it again in the winter holidays. i did 1 paper a day starting day 1 of term 3.
would i recommend doing the same? definitely not.  id only do vcaa, mav and select papers from neap if i was to do it again - personally i do not think i got any benefit from doing more than 50 papers (20 would have been suffice), and it doesnt look like i will finish with a 50 so it has been a bit of a waste)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:16:04 am by redcracker »

myanacondadont

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #763 on: October 26, 2014, 11:17:13 am »
theres no attachment, try again? or pop me an email with the attachment

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pYDO-7qCchz4XUaQetMT0ga2X7kdhRJ8Tee2BaeGNeE/edit?usp=sharing
this is also the order i did them in
a little bit of information about how i went about it:
our school did networks, graphs and relations and matrices
i did number patterns in gma and quickly ditched networks after the sac
i dropped marks on 3/5 sacs (2 on bivariate, 4 on networks, 1 on matrices), but other people dropped more (networks lol), meaning i finished as number 1

i finished the course over easter, then finished it again in the winter holidays. i did 1 paper a day starting day 1 of term 3.
would i recommend doing the same? definitely not.  id only do vcaa, mav and select papers from neap if i was to do it again.

Damnnnn. That's impressive. Both of you. If my school had offered further in year 11 I would've definitely done it. Feel so emasculated only having done like 25. I do maybe one every two or three days - I find them so damn repetitive ugh. Plus I've done all the commercial ones offered by my school - maybe excluding 1 or 2. But yeah I've done like 35 methods in total, 35 physics in total - coupled with like 15 singular essays. Oh the joys of year 12.

Also Liquid you didn't attach anything =/

redcracker

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #764 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:42 am »
Damnnnn. That's impressive. Both of you. If my school had offered further in year 11 I would've definitely done it. Feel so emasculated only having done like 25. I do maybe one every two or three days - I find them so damn repetitive ugh. Plus I've done all the commercial ones offered by my school - maybe excluding 1 or 2. But yeah I've done like 35 methods in total, 35 physics in total - coupled with like 15 singular essays. Oh the joys of year 12.

Also Liquid you didn't attach anything =/

yup, no way it would have been possible in year 12