Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:50:55 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 759248 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #1740 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:02 pm »
Any tips and tricks on a  bound reference for sacs and end of year exam? 
Should i include all the important formulas at the front or go from chapter by chapter?
Thanks

Have you read this article? ;D

How to Make a Killer Bound Reference

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1741 on: March 29, 2017, 06:06:21 pm »
Hey! Does anyone have any old practice SACs (or just any practice questions in general) for data analysis that they could post?
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #1742 on: March 30, 2017, 06:01:06 pm »
Where can we find the free samples from engage? I cant seem to find them
Looks like it's currently under renovation. So sorry about that. I didn't know. I think it'll be up and running again soon.
On the bright side, making your own is a good opportunity for you to revise, so maybe take a hint from AN's very own Stick and their post on bound references.

Hey! Does anyone have any old practice SACs (or just any practice questions in general) for data analysis that they could post?
We can't post old practise SACs as these are the legal property of the school or person. I can, however, direct you to Checkpoints and ExamPro, which will provide great practise questions.

VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1743 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:06 pm »
We can't post old practise SACs as these are the legal property of the school or person. I can, however, direct you to Checkpoints and ExamPro, which will provide great practise questions.

Thank you for letting me know! I've done Checkpoints for data analysis but I'll give ExamPro a go
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:27:46 pm by EdwinaB19 »
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1744 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:38 pm »
What kind of things do we have to write about when describing a time series plot and a smoothed time series plot? What kind of things about the graph should we focus on?  Also do we have to write our descriptions in any specific way?

apan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1745 on: April 06, 2017, 10:02:57 pm »
+2
What kind of things do we have to write about when describing a time series plot and a smoothed time series plot? What kind of things about the graph should we focus on?  Also do we have to write our descriptions in any specific way?

Hey! When describing a time series plot you should talk about:
- Trends (positive/upward? negative/downwards? no trend?)
- Are there any irregular or random fluctuations?(short term fluctuations) or is the time series fairly predictable? I also used to point out the degree e.g "there is small amount of random fluctuations in this time series"
- Is there seasonal variation? These are usually easy to spot, look for peaks and lows (cyclical) occurring around the same time  (e.g a time series of a week and general peaks on thursdays but lows on fridays). But remember seasonal variation must be within one calendar year. For example you can say "peaks are generally during the month of January over the years" however you cannot say "Peaks during every second year e.g peaks in the year 1995, 1997, 1999" as this is more than one calendar year (hopefully this makes sense!)
- Is there any structural change? Probably the hardest to spot, but it is when something big happens and changes the pattern of the plot. E.g if there is a general upward trend, then suddenly there is a downward trend on the plot, you could say this is structural change. There is more than one trend visible on the plot! Don't confuse this with irregular fluctuations as this is LONG TERM whereas irregular fluctuations are SHORT TERM and are outliers.

The wording can be tricky but something nice, simple and straight to the point makes the examiners happy! Something like, "In this time series, we can see a steep upward trend with seasonal variation (as there are peaks every January and lows every March). There is some slight irregular fluctuations, and some outliers at the point (x, y, z).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Accounting [39] Chemistry [36] Economics[25] English [35] Further Maths [45] Methods [37] Atar - 93.15

2017: Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of science

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1746 on: April 07, 2017, 11:30:29 am »
Thank you so much! This is really helpful! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

ooft

• Adventurer
« Reply #1747 on: April 11, 2017, 08:10:53 pm »
So I have a SAC coming up next term for Data Analysis, and whilst preparing for it, I've noticed that I am repeatedly getting answers ever so slightly wrong due to rounding. I think it is because I generally round during working out, and not only my for final answer. Does it really matter if you round during the working out? or are you meant to use the un-rounded values until you give your final answer?Or does it simply not matter?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #1748 on: April 11, 2017, 08:18:19 pm »
So I have a SAC coming up next term for Data Analysis, and whilst preparing for it, I've noticed that I am repeatedly getting answers ever so slightly wrong due to rounding. I think it is because I generally round during working out, and not only my for final answer. Does it really matter if you round during the working out? or are you meant to use the un-rounded values until you give your final answer?Or does it simply not matter?

It does matter - many assessment reports have indicated that rounding should only be done at the end of your working out (e.g. your final answer). This keeps your answer as accurate as possible. The more you use rounded values during your calculations, the further out your final answer will be from the actual one.

My tip would be to always show your full working out, indicate how you arrived at your answer and most of all, read the question and its requirements (some ask for answers to a specific number of decimal places)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:20:50 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1749 on: April 11, 2017, 11:04:21 pm »
Is 64 pages for my bound refrence to small?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #1750 on: April 11, 2017, 11:14:38 pm »
Is 64 pages for my bound refrence to small?

You should create a bound reference that is right for you. There is no guideline to the amount of pages your bound reference should be.

Ideally your bound reference acts as a support in your exams, so it should not be too detailed. A good starting point is completing a few VCAA exams using only your bound reference (the sections you have been taught at least) - this will indicate whether it needs some finetuning.

Keep in mind that each exam is only 90 minutes duration, so you won't have time to sit there and go through your bound reference in detail. It goes very fast.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:19:25 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1751 on: April 11, 2017, 11:39:59 pm »
You should create a bound reference that is right for you. There is no guideline to the amount of pages your bound reference should be.

Ideally your bound reference acts as a support in your exams, so it should not be too detailed. A good starting point is completing a few VCAA exams using only your bound reference (the sections you have been taught at least) - this will indicate whether it needs some finetuning.

Keep in mind that each exam is only 90 minutes duration, so you won't have time to sit there and go through your bound reference in detail. It goes very fast.
Yeah but it dont know what is right for me and how many pages is right for me
Im really concerned i will run out of pages and have to dopy evreything to another textbook whch is extremely tedious

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #1752 on: April 12, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »
Yeah but it dont know what is right for me and how many pages is right for me
Im really concerned i will run out of pages and have to dopy evreything to another textbook whch is extremely tedious
If you are a detailed person who loves having notes with you/ started it with detailed notes and are carrying through with it, I'd say 64 pages is not enough. If you are less worried about detail/ haven't got many notes in it right now, then 64 pages will suffice. It will depend on you. 

I would attach extra pages in case. My bound reference from Further actually has about 15 blank pages at the end in case I was ever going to add more details. Although there is no precise number, it is better to have more than less for now. (Just make sure you know how much is blank.) There is no loss in binding more pages, because you can tear them out later (and recycle them). If you really want a numerical answer: whatever you end up with by the time you finish your content + another 5-10 pages for exam questions you did wrong during practise.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

BSmith

• Adventurer
« Reply #1753 on: April 13, 2017, 12:01:31 pm »
Hi, im doing some transformations stuff and am having trouble with getting an answer back out of the equation.

To put it simply, the transformation i did was 1/y vs x and it turned out to (-1.441e-5) + x(2.34e-5)
how do i get an answer out of this? it needs to be somewhere around 6 thousand to make sense in the data.

the original least squares regression line was 1151.58 - 411.8x.

any help is appreciated.

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1754 on: April 13, 2017, 12:01:47 pm »
If you are a detailed person who loves having notes with you/ started it with detailed notes and are carrying through with it, I'd say 64 pages is not enough. If you are less worried about detail/ haven't got many notes in it right now, then 64 pages will suffice. It will depend on you. 

I would attach extra pages in case. My bound reference from Further actually has about 15 blank pages at the end in case I was ever going to add more details. Although there is no precise number, it is better to have more than less for now. (Just make sure you know how much is blank.) There is no loss in binding more pages, because you can tear them out later (and recycle them). If you really want a numerical answer: whatever you end up with by the time you finish your content + another 5-10 pages for exam questions you did wrong during practise.
So how do i attach more pages to them