Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:22:50 am

Author Topic: Engineering Q+A!  (Read 20555 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Engineering Q+A!
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2017, 11:31:05 am »
+4
Hey Rui,
I REALLY have my heart set on doing Computer Science at UNSW  when i finish year 12 (2018), but as every student is, im concerned about the ATAR requirement (92), how do i get into Computer Science if i do NOT get the atar requirements?
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner - I've been on a plane ahaha

So, EEEEEEP has some pretty good ideas, but personally I'm more of an advocate for plan B, in particular choosing just the Science degree. A nuisance for many of the engineering faculty degrees is that you have to take some science faculty subjects, and in particular for computer science you need the two ordinary maths (MATH1131/41 + MATH1231/41) and discrete math (MATH1081). I believe you can also take the first computing course COMP1511 as an elective under this degree. From memory, the ATAR cutoff is around 85.00 and there are bonus points available, so where possible please consider this as your "first" plan B :)
Hi Jamon/Rui/Jacky. Thanks for answering my questions   :)
1) What do you think of a computer science/law double degree? Do you know anyone who has studied this/how common is this degree choice?
2) I've heard that the workload for both engineering and law is quite large, so do you think this combination is manageable?
3) Would you know how many hours per week I'd be likely to spend in lectures/tutorials for this double degree?
Thanks again!!
Let's see:

1) Probably uncommon (just because I don't think many computer scientists choose law) but in my opinion a really aesthetic combo; taking the role of the computer into the legal system. I'd say give it a shot

2) So, here's the thing. The degree is catered for by both faculties, so the workload you experience is going to be somewhere around half law and half computer science (but give or take a bit). If you can get the opportunity to, Jake or Isaac might be able to feed you more intel here.

I feel like computer science is relatively demanding but not excessively demanding. It depends on how quickly you can pick up the language(s) of coding and understand how to construct methods and processes (and eventually algorithms) to solve various problems. Some people just can't handle it unfortunately, whereas for others it just clicks.

Although, at UNSW, the first computing course is generally a bit more annoying than the second. Reason being blogs and stuff (lol, hated those).

Whether or not it's manageable really depends on your aim. I've found that as a rule of thumb, more things become manageable if you aim lower... not that it should be an excuse to be lazy though :P
But there's really no reason why it shouldn't be manageable. I've had friends that have done ACTUARIAL + law which is quite a killer with the workload, but still managing quite well

I'd just stick with Jamon's answer for 3 though

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2017, 11:37:47 am »
+1
Hi, is it possible to do engineering without having learnt physics before and only ext. 1 maths?  If not, do you guys have any recommendations for online bridging courses (as I'll be going overseas)?
Statistically this has generally been sufficient. MX1 is generally regarded as the bare minimum (the assumed knowledge) and HSC physics isn't really the most relevant.

Some knowledge of prelim physics may be useful though, just so you have an understanding of S.I. units and some very basic formulas. But because you have MX1 knowledge, this won't be too big of a deal.
Awesome! Thats really comforting knowing the world isnt over if i dont get that ATAR requirement  :D.
Whats Computer Science like?
Will get back to this :) I have to dash now; as a thing to learn it's pretty awesome but I'll give something more descriptive later

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2017, 02:12:28 pm »
+2
Awesome! Thats really comforting knowing the world isnt over if i dont get that ATAR requirement  :D.
Whats Computer Science like?
So, for me the content is really fun :D

Roughly speaking, computer science is about logic and problem solving. Problem solving is just fun for me by nature, and logic works well with my math-oriented brain. Usually most textbooks will only teach you what various syntax does and not really expose you to sufficient applications of them, whereas the degree actually makes you think about how it can be useful for the problem(s) at hand.

Perhaps the most fun part of the challenges would be the challenge exercises (which, I ran out of time to do after a while) and the assignments. To be fair, it's quite agonising when you sit here and your program just doesn't work (could be because of a mistake, bug, you just don't know what to do and how to do it etc.) but it always pays off at the very end.

It varies from person to person really, but I haven't seen anyone who was always genuinely interested in it complain about it thus far

necromantic

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 02:10:46 am »
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out whether to attend UNSW or USYD for engineering. I've considered Macquarie University, and although convenient for me, I don't have much faith in its engineering faculty, and additionally they don't offer the 'flexible first year' program I'm keen on.
I think I want to study software engineering, but I'm not completely set on that path, because electrical, mechatronic and biomedical also seem interesting. USYD offers all four of these disciplines as part of their 'flexible first year' program, whereas UNSW only offers mechatronic and electrical for this program. Would it make more sense to attend USYD, although their engineering reputation isn't nearly as strong as that of UNSW? (I understand that both of these universities are fantastic, I'm just nit-picking  ;D)
Because if I finished the 'flexible first year' program at UNSW and ended up not liking either electrical nor mechatronic, I would have to spend another year doing first year software, unless I switched out early in the year and did some MAD catch-up work. (biomed is only offered as a masters program at UNSW).
Also, I know many UNSW engineering students, and although they all agree UNSW is great for engineering, none of them have mentioned a single word about campus life being great. Do you guys know any USYD engineering students, and what their opinion of campus life (clubs, societies, social activities, etc) is?
Thanks! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out whether to attend UNSW or USYD for engineering. I've considered Macquarie University, and although convenient for me, I don't have much faith in its engineering faculty, and additionally they don't offer the 'flexible first year' program I'm keen on.
I think I want to study software engineering, but I'm not completely set on that path, because electrical, mechatronic and biomedical also seem interesting. USYD offers all four of these disciplines as part of their 'flexible first year' program, whereas UNSW only offers mechatronic and electrical for this program. Would it make more sense to attend USYD, although their engineering reputation isn't nearly as strong as that of UNSW? (I understand that both of these universities are fantastic, I'm just nit-picking  ;D)
Because if I finished the 'flexible first year' program at UNSW and ended up not liking either electrical nor mechatronic, I would have to spend another year doing first year software, unless I switched out early in the year and did some MAD catch-up work. (biomed is only offered as a masters program at UNSW).
Also, I know many UNSW engineering students, and although they all agree UNSW is great for engineering, none of them have mentioned a single word about campus life being great. Do you guys know any USYD engineering students, and what their opinion of campus life (clubs, societies, social activities, etc) is?
Thanks! :)

I think you messaged me on Snapchat and I think you've figured this out - But do let me know if you wanted me to add any thoughts on anything :) good luck!

skycastle

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2020, 08:52:15 am »
Which university is better for mechanical engineering or just better in general, Macquarie or WSU?