Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:38:50 am

Author Topic: DAD--"you'll be lucky to get a 30 atar"  (Read 700 times)  Share 

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
DAD--"you'll be lucky to get a 30 atar"
« on: December 20, 2019, 12:55:02 pm »
hi, all my life i was stressed, always getting put down by my father saying "ill be lucky to get a 30 atar" plus im a Lebanese which puts me in a disadvantage state cause my parents have no patience.. UGHHH
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: DAD--"you'll be lucky to get a 30 atar"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:19:44 pm »
+9
hi, all my life i was stressed, always getting put down by my father saying "ill be lucky to get a 30 atar" plus im a Lebanese which puts me in a disadvantage state cause my parents have no patience.. UGHHH

Hi Yussif,

Are you looking for advice on how to deal with the situation? If you need help when dealing with expectations, stress and family, we can help but only so much. You could try actively following advice from professional sites such as Beyond Blue on family conflict resolution (yes, it is written for adults, but if you're stressed about family life there are some good tips).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:55:30 pm by Poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »
+9
Hey,

it can be really difficult when people who you care a lot about and have a lot of influence over you don't seem to believe in your goals but that doesn't mean that they are right. I don't know your situation but sometimes it's also the case that statements like this aren't meant in the way they are received. I would definitely encourage you to look after your mental health and manage your stress as much as you can. There's a range of things you can do to help you cope with and reduce stress like making sure you're getting enough sleep, connecting with social networks that are supportive, and talking to a professional.

Best of luck

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 06:42:32 pm »
+4
Well I mean I've went through this as well so I know how you feel. I've have been called a failure and what not before definitely and in fact my father wasn't even pleased with my Atar soo.. Funny enough I would be working so hard to improve my marks especially for English as I did poorly in it in year 10 and every year before and my parents would always come in and doubt my efforts as if I was't working hard at all.

Just ignore it I mean yeah it can be disappointing to hear but you will develop a thick skin for it. It will be hard to have it not get to you but this is YOUR life and if your marks make you happy then that's all that matters. Your marks and achievements are not there to please others but rather for yourself and if other people want to sort of 'put you down' for it then let it be. If your happy with it then that's what matters and if your not happy with it, it's not the end of the world =)

Use their words as motivation to prove them wrong because when you do it's the most satisfying feeling ever and I can guarantee this!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:45:30 pm by DrDusk »