Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:10:19 am

Author Topic: WHY IS MUCK-UP DAY BEING CANCELLED?!  (Read 4299 times)  Share 

Alevine

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
WHY IS MUCK-UP DAY BEING CANCELLED?!
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:40:23 am »
+3
Muck-up day is without a doubt one of the most important days of year 12. Straight up.

It's one of the only days in year 12 (or maybe even in your entire high school career) where you have the chance to dress up, be ridiculous and celebrate the end of school. It's a chance to openly rejoice having overcome the trials and hurdles of year 12.

Why then, are schools banning muck-up day?

It's an iconic year 12 moment?!

I know that schools are wary of students who are maybe going to lash out, release mice, egg and TP the place or whatever but STILL! These are legitimate concerns but removing muck-up day entirely is not the solution.

Has your school cancelled their muck-up day? What's the craziest prank that's ever been done for muck-up day at your school?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: WHY IS MUCK-UP DAY BEING CANCELLED?!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:47:10 am »
+3
My school changed it to "Celebration Day" in maybe ~2010/11. Had a whole bunch of confinements. Strict on times, where students could be etc.

To be honest, I don't blame them. Those who came before me really fucked some shit up, and I'm definitely not of the belief that students are entitled to that.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:52:42 am »
+1
My school changed it to "Celebration Day" in maybe ~2010/11. Had a whole bunch of confinements. Strict on times, where students could be etc.

To be honest, I don't blame them. Those who came before me really fucked some shit up, and I'm definitely not of the belief that students are entitled to that.
My school were oppressive as anything - we went to Gumbaya park and shot water pistols at each other.

Are you fucking kidding me??
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 11:01:39 am »
+1
My muck day last year was a 6:30am start on the ovals, in a square allocated for this, chucking food/water balloons/shaving cream/sauce/toilet paper at each other and then eating breakfast cooked by the teachers. 😂
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 11:06:33 am »
+5
First year I was at high school people came to our school on motorbikes, drove through our classrooms and egged a teacher and students, such that the teacher had to go to ED at the local hospital. Pretty sure those kind of stories are why schools are reluctant to let muck up day happen unchecked, and I could hardly blame them. 
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 11:07:57 am »
+1
My muck day last year was a 6:30am start on the ovals, in a square allocated for this, chucking food/water balloons/shaving cream/sauce/toilet paper at each other and then eating breakfast cooked by the teachers. 😂
Well now, that doesn't sound too bad at all!!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:09:46 am »
+2
Well now, that doesn't sound too bad at all!!
It wasn't, just super glad that I wore a shower cap- it was the same day as my val- should have seen me drenched in water and sauce 😂
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:26:03 am »
+4
Ours was re-named Celebration Day, and over the years restrictions have become more severe. I don't think people were ever able to do that much but a year before I started, some guys did some stuff that caused a few thousand dollars worth of damage to the school (quickset concrete in some toilets) and they had to get the police involved, iirc. Whilst the restrictions are annoying, I was glad that the school hadn't cancelled the day completely, because they were well within their right to do that - muck up day is a privilege, not a right.

We weren't allowed at the school before 7am, and once we got there we basically just did a bit of petty litter :P silly string, TP'd a few places, put cups filled with water all over the main stairs outside, put garden gnomes in random places, that sort of thing. Iirc, people gave lollies to kids getting off buses, and we also raised money for charity by collecting donations from cars coming into the carpark. The teachers also cooked us breakfast, which was cool.
After we cleaned the school up, we had our final chapel and final assembly, and then had an afternoon of fun activities on the school oval + lunch ;D

Imo, it was the stuff in the afternoon that made the day, and the people I spent it with. So yeah, I think whilst doing something to celebrate the end of year 12 is important, students should remember that it's a privilege, not a right (I sound like a teacher here, sorry :P)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 05:46:30 pm »
+1
Apart from typical food fights and  streamers tied everywhere across the stairs etc, my class put our teachers' cars and dogs up on gumtree so they were getting calls about them all through the day.

But yeah, there's good reason for some level of restriction - thousands of dollars of damage to a school is hardly acceptable.  I mean, you could be sued or fined for that.  Even little things, like the year before me they glued up everyone's locks on their lockers and they were mostly ruined for good, it's just, not tasteful? There's a difference between fun and harming other people's property.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »
+2
I remember the year before my muck up in 2012, it was watered down because someone threw an object and it smashed a window.. in addition to Year 7-8 students getting water balloons thrown at them without their permission. I get it's the end of year 12 and all, but I can also see why schools are hesitant. They have a duty of care to everyone there.

It's such a shame because majority of Year 12s know how to behave and know when the line is crossed. I don't think its necessary to cancel it altogether.. but I think there can be a balance.

Unfortunately I have now had the experience where i've been on both sides (student and teacher) so my views on this have altered slightly.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 06:03:21 pm »
+3
Has your school cancelled their muck-up day? What's the craziest prank that's ever been done for muck-up day at your school?
This was a vile act,.., that had a few acts  to it.
1. Waterbomb teachers
2. Sugar over  the  top
3. Honey over the top
4. Red coloured flour over the top of the teachers

(( shirts ruined, phone ruined and apparently car keys ruined))
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:06:17 pm by EEEEEEP »

joyg

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 02:11:09 am »
I also understand why schools ban muck up day, at my school this is the first year they banned it because last year a group of students brought a goat into the school, in the middle of the school day so....
HSC 2016:
Business Studies

HSC 2017:
Modern History, Mathematics (2u), Senior Science, Advanced English, Legal Studies

djpetrin15

• Trailblazer
  • I don't know what I'm doing here
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 08:50:42 pm »
Muck-up day is without a doubt one of the most important days of year 12. Straight up.

It's one of the only days in year 12 (or maybe even in your entire high school career) where you have the chance to dress up, be ridiculous and celebrate the end of school. It's a chance to openly rejoice having overcome the trials and hurdles of year 12.

Why then, are schools banning muck-up day?

It's an iconic year 12 moment?!

I know that schools are wary of students who are maybe going to lash out, release mice, egg and TP the place or whatever but STILL! These are legitimate concerns but removing muck-up day entirely is not the solution.

Because students don't follow the rules and think about their actions. Our school has clear rules and boundaries in place to stop this sort of thing from happening.
2017 English (Advanced) | Chemistry | SDD | Indonesian Continuers | Indonesian Extension
2016 Maths Extension 1 93 | Maths Extension 2 87
Always happy to help (especially maths) and provide moral support where needed. It's what I do!