Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 13, 2024, 12:43:41 am

Author Topic: What is the process used by VCAT?  (Read 2502 times)  Share 

sabii

What is the process used by VCAT?
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »
I dont know how to describe the process used by VCAT?? Help!

socktwizzle

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: What is the process used by VCAT?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:41:58 pm »
What would you mean by "process"? Dispute resolution methods? VCAT uses ADRs if thats what you were asking, alternative dispute resolution methods. Mediation, Conciliation, Arbitration etc

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:52 pm »
VCAT uses all four methods of dispute resolution - mediation, conciliation, arbitration and judicial determination (although they use organizations such as Consumer Affairs for the conciliation, as they don't do it themselves). Most matters at VCAT are heard in an arbitration hearing before a VCAT presiding member, where each party presents their case and the member makes a binding order. If the hearing is before the Pres or VP of VCAT it will be classed as a judicial determination hearing.

Don't equate VCAT with mediation and courts with JD, because VCAT uses JD and all the courts use mediation.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

sabii

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »
Thank you guys, I think my title is a little misleading. I understand that VCAT uses ADR methods ( mediation, conciliation, arbitration & judicial determination) and I understand the process as well, I wanted a better structure for my upcoming SAC because mine sounds really crappy. "PROCESS" meaning the steps VCAT takes....as in first the parties will call and explain their complaint...etc.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:15 pm »
Has your teacher been really clear about you needing that for the SAC? Because it isn't on the Study Design, it changes for each list, and it won't be on the exam.

(BTW phase out the term 'ADR'! No longer used.)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!