Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:57:33 pm

Poll

Loose-leaf or notebooks?

Loose-leaf
10 (33.3%)
Notebooks
20 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Which is better for writing notes?  (Read 10615 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Which is better for writing notes?
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:13:16 am »
For taking notes is it better to write in a notebook or loose-leaf? With loose-leaf paper you can organise your notes however you like, but it's flimsy and can get messy quickly. With a notebook everything is ordered but you can't organise your notes after. Do you think this also varies per subject?

mozart

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • laugh
  • Respect: 0
Re: Which is better for writing notes?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:56:16 am »
note bookss ftw easy, loose leafs are daggy and get lost/messy easily.
2008- hoPing for
legal studies- 39+raw
2009-hoPing for
methods- 35+raw
Physics- 35+ raw
chemistry- 35+raw
english- 37+raw
viss comm & design- 44+raw

overal Enter minimum: over 83

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:22:20 am »
Agreed. I also like to number the pages in my notebooks for easy reference. In year 12 I used 240 page spiral bound books and I only ran out of room in methods (probably because there were pages of scribble), I'd reccommend those. They're a bit more expensive, but they have all the benefits of loose leaf whilst keeping all your notes in the correct place and you don't have to go through 2+ books to find the right information.

joshuamorgan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:46:17 am »
What do people think about typed notes? Yay or nay? My handwriting is shocking, so I'd benefit from having typed notes.

DrowNz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:03 am »
What do people think about typed notes? Yay or nay? My handwriting is shocking, so I'd benefit from having typed notes.
Same here mate. In addition I'm so unorganized and tend to lose everything I'm given so in this sense something like a notebook would be a better option for myself. The act of actually writing those notes down as part of committing information to memory though is quite important..

EDIT: If you meant notes that you type yourself, sorry for the misunderstanding. It's been a long day.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:08:54 am by DrowNz »
Tuition in Biology, ESL & Hebrew Available.

Contact me at [email protected]

Odette

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:09 am »
I find it better if i write the notes... you're more focused that way (in my opinion)
But you want something you can read afterwards so if you have bad handwriting then i'd say type them... I never had that problem my handwriting is kinda like this lol ^_^

Markos

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:14:03 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a laptop soon for uni. My cousin says he finds it a lot easier to take down notes and go over. I really wouldnt know if typing verse writing is the better option since I havent tried typing yet

joshuamorgan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 02:21:27 pm »
I typed notes for Business Management and ranked 1st (97% for Unit 3, 100% for Unit 4), I don't think it's as ineffective as people thinks. I suppose it also depends on the person though.

brendan

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 02:31:49 pm »
i just use a normal exercise book

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 02:38:34 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a laptop soon for uni. My cousin says he finds it a lot easier to take down notes and go over. I really wouldnt know if typing verse writing is the better option since I havent tried typing yet
I got a laptop a couple days ago (hell yeah), and i do intend to type up a lot of my notes, but do keep in mind that the thing your computer CANT do is to draw shapes like your hand can, which makes scientific notations, maths and a range of other things seriously annoying... that is, unless you have a writing pad, but even then its still not the same.

and so far i have found myself to revert back hand written notes (esp for maths), notebooks work best, as loose-leaf fly everywhere... but those stapled notebook (typical officework 10c ones) are really crap, those ring-binder are so much better...
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

joshuamorgan

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 03:28:16 pm »
I use LaTeX to typeset equations, and Grapher (OS X) to plot graphs of functions. Works fairly well albeit being more time consuming.

droodles

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:18:46 pm »
the problem with laptops is that you have to lug it around and it's prone to being stolen.

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
i would go with notebooks for copying notes off the teacher because it does get messy with loose leaf and in a notebook (with theory and exercises separated) it is pretty easy to find. I prefer typing when writing up my own notes (not for maths because i don't know how to use the computer programs to draw graphs etc lol) because it is faster for me to type than to write everything out nicely and I often have second thoughts of the way I arrange my notes - it's much easier to re-arrange notes on the computer and imo it looks much neater. i get put off when my notes look messy and will hardly touch them >.<
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 11:16:02 pm »
notebooks for sure.. loose leafs get way too messy and disorganized way too easy.
The key to good studying is knowing where everything is. With notebooks write in the date and the main topic for easy reference and you may recall other things too since most topics are similar to the previous.

Ren

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 11:19:14 pm »
I recommend spiral notebooks which have the tear line so you can rip pages out if you dont want them