Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:06:51 am

Author Topic: the famous chemists part  (Read 2545 times)  Share 

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
the famous chemists part
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:16:33 pm »
can someone clarify this for me.. we only have to know about 2 right? but how the hell does this work on the exam?

and also, there seem to be questons on specific ones that we are meant to know.. mendeleev im thinking but who are the other ones we are suppsoed to know? we never really clarified this in class

thanks

cara.mel

the famous chemists part
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:19:18 pm »
Ages ago (like 5+ years ago) there used to be questions that were really open ended like 'Name 2 people that have made a contribution to chem and describe what they did'. They don't like these questions these days because they take too long to mark.

Mendeleev has a dotpoint all to himself on the study design, which is why he gets specific questions.
The rest of it, I think they want you to have a general overview of the development of things. Would be a good idea to be able to match 2 people with what they did though.
I think. I've hardly studied for chem since the holidays xD

Sheikh05

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
the famous chemists part
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »
Unit 3 chemistry was way better. I hate unit 4  :(

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
the famous chemists part
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 03:31:59 pm »
thanks cara mel i hope there arnt any of those open ended questions, i would probably die. i hate memorising stuff

yeh ill focus on mendeleev and stuff tho seeing as that seems to come up a fair bit

i agree unit 3 was better :( a lot better. i love my calculation questions. most of all, i hate food chem. hate it. loath it with a passion. periodic table trends are alright, but history is not. dont like the nucleur stuff either. at least the energy stuff is ok. except i cbf memorising all those cells. moral of story. unit 3 was so much better, i wish i put more effort into that and therefore didnt have to now try and pull up my mark with stupid unit 4

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
the famous chemists part
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 04:43:43 pm »
is this the we-hate-unit-4 thread? :P

god unit 4 sucks so much. especially the first area of study. chem was actually slightly interesting in unit 3. but now its turned into wannabe physics and biol. ughh
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

cara.mel

the famous chemists part
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 05:05:44 pm »
I liked 2 areas of study last unit. I like 2 areas of study this unit. I can't complain :)
(dont like = industrial chem and food chem. I feel like stabbing ethene as much as proteins really.)

At my school they taught us some the history stuff in year 10, I actually remembered all of what we learnt back then, so there wasn't much more to add on to it ^_^

Edit: now I think about it, apart from electrolysis and those silly industrial cells, energy hasn't taught me anything I didn't know from unit 2 chem or physics. I don't think I've put any conscious effort into learning anything but food chem. Food chem was so hard with no background knowledge (I didn't actually know what the functions of proteins fats and carbs was to be honest XD)

kingmar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Non Sequitur
  • Respect: +2
the famous chemists part
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:30:41 pm »
So, does anyone think there's any chance of being asked on two chemists? Because I have absolutely NO CLUE at all about it.

Please, VCAA... 100% calculations :P
ENTER: Incomprehensibly high

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
the famous chemists part
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:35:03 pm »
ahha shit i forgot i have to learn this stuff too!

oh god its all piling up haha. yes vcaa. calculations.. please? :cry:

principe

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
the famous chemists part
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:48:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure that they will ask something about them. But you don't have to learn exact details. You only need to know brief things like their contribution to atomic theory. Here's a list of some:
    Dalton - proposed that matter was composed of indivisible particles, which he called atoms.
    Ramsay - discovered noble gases
    Curie - discovered the elements radium and polonium and studied their radioactivity
    Seaborg - discovered many trans uranium elements using a particle accelerator to bombard uranium with hydrogen nuclei
    Soddy - confirmed the existence of isotopes
    Meitner - demonstrated that barium is a product of neutron-bombarded uranium and proposed the term 'fission' for the process
    Rutherford - used the gold-foil (alpha particle experiment) to propose the nuclear model of the atom in which electrons orbit a dense nucleus
    Chadwick - identified the neutron as a particle that was neutral and contributed to the mass of the nucleus
    Mendeleev - constructed a periodic table by:
      > arranging elements with similar chemical properties into vertical groups
      > arranging the elements in order of increasing atomic mass into horizontal periods
    [/list]

ninwa

the famous chemists part
    « Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 06:51:33 pm »
    Quote from: "principe"
    I'm pretty sure that they will ask something about them. But you don't have to learn exact details. You only need to know brief things like their contribution to atomic theory. Here's a list of some:
      Dalton - proposed that matter was composed of indivisible particles, which he called atoms.
      Ramsay - discovered noble gases
      Curie - discovered the elements radium and polonium and studied their radioactivity
      Seaborg - discovered many trans uranium elements using a particle accelerator to bombard uranium with hydrogen nuclei
      Soddy - confirmed the existence of isotopes
      Meitner - demonstrated that barium is a product of neutron-bombarded uranium and proposed the term 'fission' for the process
      Rutherford - used the gold-foil (alpha particle experiment) to propose the nuclear model of the atom in which electrons orbit a dense nucleus
      Chadwick - identified the neutron as a particle that was neutral and contributed to the mass of the nucleus[/list]

DEFINITELY know Mendeleev as well. He has his own dot point in the study design! :P

principe

• Victorian
      • Forum Regular
      the famous chemists part
      « Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 07:01:01 pm »
      Quote from: "ninwa"

DEFINITELY know Mendeleev as well. He has his own dot point in the study design! :P

Yeah I thought I put him in there =p.

ninwa

the famous chemists part
      « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:10:51 pm »
      Aw, now that you've edited it I look like an idiot :( lol :P

principe

• Victorian
      • Forum Regular
      the famous chemists part
      « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:07 pm »
      Quote from: "ninwa"
      Aw, now that you've edited it I look like an idiot :( lol :P

LOL! No you don't my old post is still quoted  :D.

kingmar

• Victorian
      • Forum Obsessive
      • Non Sequitur
      • Respect: +2
      the famous chemists part
      « Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 07:14:42 pm »
      That's it?

For a four mark question, I only need give one mark answers?
      ENTER: Incomprehensibly high