Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 03:42:19 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Commerce and Eco  (Read 2543 times)  Share 

mooimachicken

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Commerce and Eco
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:00 pm »
is it worth doing the extra year for the bachelor of Commerce/Economics double degree or should I just stick with bachelor of commerce?

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Bachelor of Commerce and Eco
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:48:42 pm »
depends on what majors you want to do as comm/eco allows you to do a triple major. sometimes commerce + honours might be better same amount of time as well

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »
is it worth doing the extra year for the bachelor of Commerce/Economics double degree or should I just stick with bachelor of commerce?

If you're looking to do Bachelor of Commerce, better go to UoM bro. Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) is an option only if you get the marks to do an honours year. I can also tell you that next year, they have a new Bachelor of Economics (Hons) straight away, so maybe that's an option for you.

My opinion is, if you're set on Monash (and not UoM ;)), doing a Bachelor of Commerce / Economics is a good idea. I'm doing this particular course, been fun so far. It's not too hard IMO, if you study for it. And what mystikal said, you can do triple major.
I'm doing the popular choice, accounting finance and economics  :). Free to ask more questions about this course.
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »
Economics - particularly macro-economics gets MUCH harder in 2nd year. You get to learn the mathematics behind those shifts in the graphs. Plus calculating the elasticity of movement in graphs and how they affect the other side of the particular market/s. Fun stuff (sarcasm)

Btw this is if you do a commerce degree @ melb with an economics major - since you will be forced to do 2nd AND 3rd year macro. Apparently at monash, you have an option to shy away from macro in 3rd year if you choose to (according to my friend from monash anyway).

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »
Economics - particularly macro-economics gets MUCH harder in 2nd year. You get to learn the mathematics behind those shifts in the graphs. Plus calculating the elasticity of movement in graphs and how they affect the other side of the particular market/s. Fun stuff (sarcasm)

Btw this is if you do a commerce degree @ melb with an economics major - since you will be forced to do 2nd AND 3rd year macro. Apparently at monash, you have an option to shy away from macro in 3rd year if you choose to (according to my friend from monash anyway).

Yeah, apparently so. We only had to do this compulsory unit called Intermediate Macro. But srsly, if I'm gonna compare maths in macro, i compare that to like, econometrics math and actuarial math, which is a lot harder.

Sluu, come to Monash, lol. Nah jokes.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:56 pm »
+1
Yeah, apparently so. We only had to do this compulsory unit called Intermediate Macro. But srsly, if I'm gonna compare maths in macro, i compare that to like, econometrics math and actuarial math, which is a lot harder.

And nothing compares to pure maths HAHA.

This somehow reminds me of the xkcd's levels of purity.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:45:02 pm »
What's this about a new B.Econ (Hons) at Melb?
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:33 am »
^Sigh, no, not Bachelor of Economics (Hons) at Melb...Clearly this is the MONASH UNI FORUM, so it's an undergraduate course at Monash.

Silly UoM'ers.

The good thing about Bachelor of Economics (Hons) is you go straight to hons, after u finish your bachelor of economics. Also, you get PAID. YES, PAID INTERNSHIP if you get in.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:22:30 am »
Apparently you can do a quadruple major if you do Commerce/Science

*looks at TrueTear's signature*

Might be worth looking at that actually, you can do three commerce majors and another science major!

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »
^I'd advise from not doing that. There's so much stuff you need to study to get 4 majors, basically that leaves no electives. I could do a quadruple major myself, but decided not to, since I want some elective.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »
+1
"If you're looking to do Bachelor of Commerce, better go to UoM bro. Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) is an option only if you get the marks to do an honours year. I can also tell you that next year, they have a new Bachelor of Economics (Hons) straight away, so maybe that's an option for you."

Soz brah, it sounded like you were talking about UoM in the entire paragraph ^^

Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »
I got to UoM and doing a b.commerce (majoring in eco/accounting) and even I would not place melbourne above monash for their undergrad degrees. Honours and post-grad, however is another matter. I would recommend going to the closest one to where you live, spending 2 hours going back and forth between uni and home will wear on you if you have to continuously do it for several years. Time better spent "attempting" to study. ^.^

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:55 pm »
I got to UoM and doing a b.commerce (majoring in eco/accounting) and even I would not place melbourne above monash for their undergrad degrees. Honours and post-grad, however is another matter. I would recommend going to the closest one to where you live, spending 2 hours going back and forth between uni and home will wear on you if you have to continuously do it for several years. Time better spent "attempting" to study. ^.^

Solid advice - I agree with this completely. Melbourne/Monash are both very established universities.