Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:22:11 pm

Author Topic: English: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 25098 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
English: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:22:03 pm »

This thread is for all exam-related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for each question? Feel free to post any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress - you can register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:47:15 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: English: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 12:42:17 pm »
Tfw your section B topic is EXACTLY the same as your school SAC’s topic, quotes and all. Mind blowing.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

joe444

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »
Hopefully, someone will be able to upload a copy as per previous years?  Not every teacher gets their hands on one ...

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 12:48:09 pm »
I’m sure someone will, if no one has by the time I get home I will upload it.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Snickitty

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:33 pm »
I was really excited for the english exam (crazy, I know), as I really just wanted to know what themes they would choose for Rear Window considering it was the first time the text was on the exam. Surprisingly, nothing directly about romance or women?? hmm. Also a review as the analysis? and not comparative? Very interesting.

All that aside I don't think I did too well... was mid sentence when I had to put my pen down. Anyone think a high study score is possible when my exam essay is incomplete, yet I got A's and B's throughout the year?

userrrname

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 01:04:37 pm »
I was really excited for the english exam (crazy, I know), as I really just wanted to know what themes they would choose for Rear Window considering it was the first time the text was on the exam. Surprisingly, nothing directly about romance or women?? hmm. Also a review as the analysis? and not comparative? Very interesting.

All that aside I don't think I did too well... was mid sentence when I had to put my pen down. Anyone think a high study score is possible when my exam essay is incomplete, yet I got A's and B's throughout the year?

I’m exactly the same!! Did the exam in order and so language analysis was last and I did not get to finish it. The last word of the sentence was literally a squiggle and was wondering if there’s still a chance to do somewhat well...

Atlantis

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 01:07:11 pm »

depends on what you mean by 'high', i'd say if you completed the majority of the exam and did well you could be looking at mid to high thirties. if you did averagely, i'd say in the lower thirties. .
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
― Plutarch

nice!

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »
So I heard one of both the Medea and Stasiland/ 1984 topics and did a rough plan:

Medea: Disloyalty is the greatest crime.
1. Euripides portrays disloyalty as a great crime, evident in the emotional consequences suffered by those who fall victim to this disloyalty.
2. However, the actions of murder are far more repugnant.
3. Yet, breaking an oath the gods, rather than simply being disloyal, is the greatest crime (demonstrated through the punishment of those who break oaths).

Comparative: Compare the ways which fear dominates the characters in 1984 and Stasiland.
1. Citizens in totalitarian societies are fearful of authorities due to constant surveillance and propaganda, as well as the threat of punishment.
2. As a result of these fear-inducing mechanisms, meaningful interactions and relationships are prevented from forming (form of psychological damage).
3. However, whilst in 1984 the characters ultimately become subservient to the state due to its omnipotence, Funder demonstrates in Stasiland that courage and hope can overcome adversity (although not without some lasting effects).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:20:53 pm by nice! »
2017 ATAR: 99.00
2018: Laws (Honours) / Biomedical Science @ Monash University

TheBamboozler

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 01:26:07 pm »

Medea: Disloyalty is the greatest crime.
1. Euripides portrays disloyalty as a great crime, evident in the emotional consequences suffered by those who fall victim to this disloyalty.
2. However, the actions of murder are far more repugnant.
3. Yet, breaking an oath the gods, rather than simply being disloyal, is the greatest crime (demonstrated through the punishment of those who break oaths).

Nice! That is exactly what I did for Medea. Except I went a little different for the third paragraph. I went along the lines of the true greatest crime being the ideals that form the basis of a patriarchal society that allows men to view themselves as heroes. I whiffed section B pretty hard though.
VCE:

English [40], Math Methods [34], Psychology [39], Legal Studies [41], VCE VET Information Technology [40]

ATAR: [90.60 I'm so happy!]

Probably software engineering at RMIT

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 01:37:22 pm »
Nice! That is exactly what I did for Medea. Except I went a little different for the third paragraph. I went along the lines of the true greatest crime being the ideals that form the basis of a patriarchal society that allows men to view themselves as heroes. I whiffed section B pretty hard though.

My Medea essay was pretty similar; the first para on disloyalty, the second regarding the patriarchal society and its inequality, and then contended the murder was the greatest crime in the final one.
And much alike, I also was somewhat disappointed with section B :P Congrats on getting it done nonetheless! (:

Does anyone have a copy of the exam they could post? I stupidly forgot to bring mine with me but I wanted to check one of the prompts.

Thanks and well done to everyone!!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:38 pm »
Congrats all on finishing your English exam! I'm sure you all smashed it :D

jb45

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 01:59:48 pm »
I think I forgot to tick the box saying which prompt I was doing
Is there any way to check/fix this?

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 02:01:20 pm »
I think I forgot to tick the box saying which prompt I was doing
Is there any way to check/fix this?

Don't worry they'll be able to work it out hopefully, happens all the time

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 02:02:22 pm »
+1
Congrats all on finishing your English exam! I'm sure you all smashed it :D
In "The Lieutenant", theres something mentioned about working out the square root of two...
All my essays were totally bad, so I spent 45 minutes in the exam working out \(\sqrt{2}\) in my head. Defo smashed it.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

jb45

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 02:04:16 pm »
Don't worry they'll be able to work it out hopefully, happens all the time
okay thank you, just wanted peace of mind