Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 05:12:25 pm

Author Topic: Plastic bag ban  (Read 4633 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Plastic bag ban
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:15:52 pm »
https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/supermarkets-cop-spray-from-customers-furious-at-plastic-bag-ban/news-story/7111630884dba0ccdd3ed8537f69447e

https://au.news.yahoo.com/couldnt-use-paper-bags-seven-questions-answered-plastic-bag-ban-082736714.html

So Woolworths has stopped using plastic bags for packaging groceries at the checkouts and so will other retailers from July 1 of this year.

Is this just fake corporate social responsibility? If YOU really wanted to do good for the environment, you’d stop packaging fruits and nuts in plastic bags. It totally goes against the grain of what they’re saying about “doing good”? 

What about the hundreds of mini plastic bags that people use to get fruits and nuts?  What about the thick packaging that they use for cakes and bread? Shouldn't they phase those out too!?!!

What are your thoughts on the plastic bag ban?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Plastic bag ban
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:17:14 pm »
+11
Meh, i'm OK with it. Just buy the reuseable bags and bring them along with you to your shop. It isn't that difficult. Personally I find the whole tantrum chucking from some on social media to be absolutely embarassing, like the world's going to end.

Small price to pay. Something is better than nothing and the charge at least will get people to think before they do so, I think that's one of the main goals here. No charge = no thought.

Can you not just appreciate that they are doing something to move forward? It is a positive. Look at it as one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:20:34 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:25:34 pm »
+1
I mean, Aldi doesn't use plastic bags in the first place (unless you play that extra money for a bag) so I'm a bit unsure what the fuss is all about.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 05:29:35 pm »
I mean, Aldi doesn't use plastic bags in the first place (unless you play that extra money for a bag) so I'm a bit unsure what the fuss is all about.
@Aaron, agreed

I think it's mostly a coles, Woolies and other small retailer issue =)

They dont have the same system as Aldi

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 05:50:02 pm »
+6
I think Aaron's post is a good one here. I'm very much in favour of this change - definitely see it as a positive.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:05:51 pm »
+6
Not entirely sure what the fuss is truly about, I generally carry spare carry bags that I've accumulated over the years from Cotton On etc in any bag I'm carrying. It's just a new habit to get into.

That being said people just don't like change, I guess. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
+8
I suspect that the change is economically, rather than environmentally,  motivated - but that doesn't mean it can't have positive environmental impacts. 
I'm glad for the shift and hope that it will encourage further change from both individuals and corporations. 

It might be a result of my changing environment this year,  but I'm seeing more reusable straws, less plastic produce bag use, more keep cups, more consideration of agricultural impacts etc.   

Imo, small steps in the right direction (such as removing free plastic bags) should be encouraged & hopefully they will then lead to further change.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 12:23:48 pm »
+3
Seems like the world's coping okay!

3D waffle

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
What about customer service though?
If the customer accidentally forgets to bring their bags they have to either go back home (which may be a fair distance) or scope out some extra money! This is a great inconvenience for the customer.
But, if all stores are doing the same thing it's not like you can pick a better store...!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 06:17:48 pm »
+4
What about customer service though?
If the customer accidentally forgets to bring their bags they have to either go back home (which may be a fair distance) or scope out some extra money! This is a great inconvenience for the customer.
But, if all stores are doing the same thing it's not like you can pick a better store...!

It's not much extra money. It's 15 cents for the reusable plastic bags or $1 for a canvas bag. It may be an inconvenience for the customer, but personally, I don't believe in the 'customer is always right' attitude -- sometimes they have to make a (superbly small) sacrifice.

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Brun

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 11:54:52 am »
I think it's a good start in reducing plastic waste in our environment. All states/territories have now implemented the plastic bag ban except for New South Wales disappointingly.

It seems like the next move is to ban plastic straws (McDonalds is planning to phase them out by 2020).

Most of this momentum for banning plastic bags came from the ABC show called "War on Waste". I'm not sure if any of you have watched it, but it's a good documentary about Australia's waste problem, with a bit of added comedy. It starts next week and is worth a watch on Live TV or stream on ABC iView.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:39:59 pm »
Quote from: abc.net.au
Coles will continue handing out plastic bags for free in its stores indefinitely, bowing to customer pressure and saying shoppers "need more time to make the transition to reusable bags".

Most state governments in Australia have banned thin single-use bags, and the supermarket giant pledged to phase them out from July 1.

Now, thicker reusable bags which had previously cost 15 cents each will be handed out for free.

Hmm. Full story here.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:51 pm »
+3
Hmm. Full story here.
Ugh I saw this earlier and I hate it. If people just keep getting free ones it’s not going to make them remember to bring their own. It’s probably also discouraging people from buying better reusable ones because these are free. If they’re not being reused then they’re worse for the environment than the grey shopping bags. I really hope woolies doesn’t copy them.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 05:40:17 pm »
Ah! At least someone has sense!

Good on ya's Coles!!! :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 06:00:58 pm »
+1
Ah! At least someone has sense!

Good on ya's Coles!!! :D
Do you think that people will reuse the bags if they’re given away free?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra