Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:34:44 pm

Author Topic: Writing on a text - that your school isn't studying - for the exam  (Read 888 times)  Share 

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
So I understand that there's really no right answer here, but I'd like to get some thoughts on this.

My school is studying the Reluctant Fundamentalist and On the Waterfront for Reading and Responding. I personally feel that the first is esoteric and it gives me a headache to think about, and I'm not too keen on writing about a film.

Say that I already have quite a close understanding of other VCAA texts (namely A Christmas Carol, Life of Pi and A Farewell to Arms, amongst others) and hypothetically I'm the number 1 ranked English student at my school, would you say it's suicidal to write on one of the latter texts on the exam? It's something I've been tossing up recently. I've spoken to a few teachers and they haven't really given me a clear answer.

Keep in mind that this is only for Reading and Responding, I'm perfectly happy with Context.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Drunk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Melbourne High School
Re: Writing on a text - that your school isn't studying - for the exam
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:54:35 am »
I don't think it's worth it - throughout the year you'll be studying for the texts that your school sets anyway for SACs and it's good to be able to discuss the texts with mates from school. It'll be really difficult if you're planning to practice writing about a text that your peers aren't studying because you'll have to add the study time for that text onto the study time you'll already need for the texts for school.

Then again, if you're a genius then go for your life
2013 - Bachelor of Commerce/Law @ Monash University

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
Re: Writing on a text - that your school isn't studying - for the exam
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50:03 pm »
I agree with those points, except for that the English cohort at my school is really weak, and the teachers, irritatingly, seem to allocate little class time to actually discussing the texts.

I've already finished one text for Reading and Responding at school. So maybe I'll prepare for A Christmas Carol just as practice and then if our class study of On The Waterfront isn't particularly productive, I'll go with it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:44:39 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)