Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:52:25 pm

Author Topic: Economics 09  (Read 8834 times)  Share 

khalil

Re: Economics 09
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 10:58:10 pm »
ok thanks....got any more tips?

psychlaw

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 10:59:34 pm »
Study hard

khalil

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:57 pm »
 i dunno if that will help

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:48 am »
Khalil have you done 1/2 eco?
Or are you picking it up?
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

khalil

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:40 pm »
no ive already done it....i quite enjoy it but i never read news articles...dont have the time.
thats probably my major problem in eco...i need to overcome it...the business reports are so boring

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 10:48:02 am »
Hey guys, If any 2009ers want tutoring for economics at a great price ($20 p/h) contact me. I can start whenever you are ready.

I greatly enjoy all sides of commerce and know the tricks of the trade to ace the final exam. In addition, unlike most students, I have done economics by distance education which requires self-motivation and persistence for. If you are also doing economics by distance education I can offer you invaluable advice to excel in SACs and "seminars".

PM me if you are interested, I will work to the best of my ability to earn you those A+s. :)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:52:04 am by AppleXY »

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

psychlaw

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 12:23:02 am »
Do you need the 1/2 for eco?

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 10:13:12 am »
Do you need the 1/2 for eco?

To pick it up, no
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 12:45:48 pm »
I don't think you need any 1/2 sequence to do a 3/4 sequence. I guess it just helps. (Especially for science/maths subjects. :P)

dwy0001

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 07:26:59 pm »
To all VCE 09 Economics Students. The key to success in VCE Economics is knowing your theory and being able to relate this to the current prevailing economic climatic conditions. This was especially important for the 08 Exam as the VCAA Economics Examination board asked direct and specific questions that could only really be fully answered correctly be aware students. E.g. One asked for a 2008-2009 Budgetary Policy measure that has been employed to increase Australia's Economics growth. By stating a previous years Budgets policy action or a general theoretical (textbook) response one marks is already forfeited. Furthermore, get a copy of a first year Microeconomics textbook, it has basically the same content as the unit 3&4 course and explains concepts more succinctly than VCE texkbooks such as Downunder or Activity. Additionally, Downunder does not go into great depth regarding the most fundamental concept of economics which is Market Failure's such as Public and merit goods, negative/positive externalises and inequity in the distribution of income. This was the main focus of a question in the 2008 that wanted students to explain why climate change (carbon emissions) is a negative externality and then wanted students to propose a government action which could account for the cost imposed on society by such methods of production. If students were aware of the Carbon emissions trading scheme (excise tax) highlighted in the media a number of times in early 08 then this would have be a fairly straight forward question.

Lastly, you have got to think always like an economist - always considering the opportunity costs involved in your daily life. lol.

A good book to read to introduce you to "everyday economics" is the undercover economist by Tim ..? It is available at melbourne city library to borrow  or at most academic bookstores.

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 11:16:08 am »
To all VCE 09 Economics Students. The key to success in VCE Economics is knowing your theory and being able to relate this to the current prevailing economic climatic conditions. This was especially important for the 08 Exam as the VCAA Economics Examination board asked direct and specific questions that could only really be fully answered correctly be aware students. E.g. One asked for a 2008-2009 Budgetary Policy measure that has been employed to increase Australia's Economics growth. By stating a previous years Budgets policy action or a general theoretical (textbook) response one marks is already forfeited. Furthermore, get a copy of a first year Microeconomics textbook, it has basically the same content as the unit 3&4 course and explains concepts more succinctly than VCE texkbooks such as Downunder or Activity. Additionally, Downunder does not go into great depth regarding the most fundamental concept of economics which is Market Failure's such as Public and merit goods, negative/positive externalises and inequity in the distribution of income. This was the main focus of a question in the 2008 that wanted students to explain why climate change (carbon emissions) is a negative externality and then wanted students to propose a government action which could account for the cost imposed on society by such methods of production. If students were aware of the Carbon emissions trading scheme (excise tax) highlighted in the media a number of times in early 08 then this would have be a fairly straight forward question.

Lastly, you have got to think always like an economist - always considering the opportunity costs involved in your daily life. lol.

A good book to read to introduce you to "everyday economics" is the undercover economist by Tim ..? It is available at melbourne city library to borrow  or at most academic bookstores.

Sweet first post :)
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 05:47:38 pm »

My lecturer suggested a book called Freakonomics ...she said it was pretty easy reading and put things in an everyday context.

Sweet first post :)

Agreed!!
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 10:52:39 pm »

I approve of this message and that book.

Tim Harford is the author of that book by the way.

Also, if you want to see a less handwavy side to economics, and a more rigorous approach to economics, then I can help you as a tutor. However, if you just want help with definitions and terms from the textbook, I am not your man. I have not studied Economics at the VCE level.

I may possibly be tutoring at the Economics faculty at the University of Melbourne next year.

One thing I heard recently: economics is not a discipline about money. It is a discipline about people, and how they interact. True economists are interested in generating the best outcomes for people, not the highest monetary numbers or financial figures.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:57:43 pm by coblin »

lalala

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 12:59:39 am »
Any tips on what i should go over during the holidays? I'm really not sure on how to be studying for eco..if u get what I'm saying.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 11:24:20 am »
Start going through the macroeconomic theory. A lot of it is "handwavy" as I said, and the VCE course doesn't rigorously demonstrate how these things are true, but they make some kind of intuitive sense.

More importantly, make sure you are solid with your microeconomics. These are the fundamentals of thinking like an economist, and if you don't master all the nuances of supply and demand, it can catch up to you in macroeconomics as well.