Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 06:07:51 am

Author Topic: Identifying organelles from a micrograph  (Read 996 times)  Share 

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Identifying organelles from a micrograph
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:34 pm »
This wasn't something I was anticipating as an issue, but I'm finding it fairly difficult to determine which organelle has been shown. Perhaps I've become too reliant on the cartoon drawings, because I have no problems with them. Any advice to address this matter? :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
Re: Identifying organelles from a micrograph
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:28:30 pm »
+1
Have a look at a labelled electromicrograph and try to remember what the organelles look like. That's really the only way. The organelles do sort of look like their cartoon representations though  :P
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

Yacoubb

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:57:37 am »
+1
The best way of remembering electron microscopic images of cell structures and organelles is to jump on the net, print off every organelle/structure in about 3 different forms and remember a few characteristics of each organelle. For example, determining a Mitochondrion will be made easy if you note the cristae (compartments) in the surface of the outer membrane, and apply your knowledge of their characteristics and apply it to the diagram. Just devise a list and you'll be good to go Stick :)

Ooh, and also practice drawing cell organelles and structures (mostly your plasma membrane), because its good practice to reconsolidate your knowledge of their appearance and ultimately their functions also.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:44:16 am »
They won't make the micrograph purposely hard or anything, they'll make sure they get the right angle so the picture isn't taken through the sliced *middle* of an organelle either. The golgi will be long, curved strips for example.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:23:48 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll search up some images now and stick them in.

Have a look at a labelled electromicrograph and try to remember what the organelles look like. That's really the only way. The organelles do sort of look like their cartoon representations though  :P

I struggle with the high definition colouring SEM images in the Nature of Biology textbook. Sometimes the structure can look a bit ambiguous.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne