Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:36:39 pm

Author Topic: How to get into John Monash Science School?  (Read 8358 times)  Share 

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • Respect: 0
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
How to get into John Monash Science School?
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:59 pm »
I applied for John Monash Science School this year and I really want to know what kind of questions I will face. I am pretty keen on Science and I enjoy but I dont know how to express it. On the Maths exam, is it basic year 9 syllabus or year 10? I purchased the practise exams when applying and they seem pretty easy. Are they similar?

Is the science reasoning exam with scientific graphs or general scientific knowledge? Or both? I do hendersons currently but are they similar to the real exam? How do I practise timing? What should I study for the essays? What kind of questions will they ask and what do they expect me to answer? Where do I practise for the essays? Where can I get free practise exams?

I really want to get in because JMSS can lead me onto the correct career path and it is absolutely awesome! It would be a dream to get in so any specific help will be appreciated greatly!

Im also trying out for Nossal High School year 10.

Please answer all my questions with detail and any help will be appreciated!

Thanks! :)
:D

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
Re: How to get into John Monash Science School?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:54:05 pm »
+1
You should take a look at some of the threads in Other

boxcat

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:22:35 am »
+1
or this.

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:20 am »
I applied for John Monash Science School this year and I really want to know what kind of questions I will face. I am pretty keen on Science and I enjoy but I dont know how to express it. On the Maths exam, is it basic year 9 syllabus or year 10? I purchased the practise exams when applying and they seem pretty easy. Are they similar?

Is the science reasoning exam with scientific graphs or general scientific knowledge? Or both? I do hendersons currently but are they similar to the real exam? How do I practise timing? What should I study for the essays? What kind of questions will they ask and what do they expect me to answer? Where do I practise for the essays? Where can I get free practise exams?

I really want to get in because JMSS can lead me onto the correct career path and it is absolutely awesome! It would be a dream to get in so any specific help will be appreciated greatly!

Im also trying out for Nossal High School year 10.

Please answer all my questions with detail and any help will be appreciated!

Thanks! :)
Hey!
I'm trying out for JMSS as well, hopefully we'll see each other next year :).
For the maths I have been told that it is Year 9 stuff, but I'm touching on Year 10 basics, just in case. Where did you get those practice exams from? I believe it will be a little harder than that... I'm barely scoring 50% here in our JAC course but that's enough to put me in the top 9%, which is interesting haha :).

For Science Reasoning, I was told that it is a mixture of both. I'm going over most of the core sections of Biology/Chemistry/Physics anyway, in case there are some general knowledge questions thrown in. For the essay, don't practice timing. Personally, I'm typing up a word document for each branch of science, then going indepth into that. For example, my subtopics within Chemistry are States of Matter, Atomic Structure, Elements, Chemical Reactions and pH Scale. In Biology its Cells, Evolution, Anatomy, Classification. Still haven't finish Physics, probably going to be the hardest for me ;)

I agree - JMSS is really exciting. Hopefully we both make it! I have a thread in the 'Other' section posted above as well, where we can discuss some more :).
2018-2020: UoM Comm