Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:57:17 am

Author Topic: JMSS 2015-onwards laptops and ipads  (Read 10377 times)  Share 

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
Re: JMSS 2015-onwards laptops and ipads
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »
Anyone crazy enough to consider an alienware or Razer laptop?

Personally, I'm going to go for a cheap netbook.

okay...I'm the crazy one...I have considered both those laptops but my parents are not letting me get it because they said I would just end up playing games all day...

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 02:38:03 pm »
okay...I'm the crazy one...I have considered both those laptops but my parents are not letting me get it because they said I would just end up playing games all day...

Just tell your parents that game programming is part of the school's special program for talented students, and you are just "testing" the games ...

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 04:30:00 pm »
Just tell your parents that game programming is part of the school's special program for talented students, and you are just "testing" the games ...

I really hope that's gonna work but I don't think my parents will think that I will program stuff LOL

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 10:43:02 am »
I am rather disappointed with the BYOD program.  I already have an old laptop and a smart phone with 5MP camera.  I will probably have to use these as my primary and secondary device for 2015.  I was so looking forward to getting a new Ipad  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 06:01:05 pm »
I am rather disappointed with the BYOD program.  I already have an old laptop and a smart phone with 5MP camera.  I will probably have to use these as my primary and secondary device for 2015.  I was so looking forward to getting a new Ipad  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ahh that's pretty sad :( Why not tell them because smart phone are too small?

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 07:57:10 pm »
ikr. I was looking forward to not carrying any textbooks because they would all be on the ipad :( Idk, at least im getting a good laptop :)
:D

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 09:21:04 am »
ikr. I was looking forward to not carrying any textbooks because they would all be on the ipad :( Idk, at least im getting a good laptop :)

If all the textbooks are going to be on the secondary device ( Ipad etc ) then those people with the smart phones ( like me ) are going to in trouble.  I don't fancy trying to read an ebook on a 3-4 inch screen.  At least I won't be stuck with a Chromebook, that would be the pits, I reckon.  You would not be able to play games on it or install any software.

Shinkaze - good idea, I might have to ask again and see what I can get instead.  It will probably have to be something cheap for the secondary device seeing we are not flushed with funds.  Any suggestions?

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »
maybe I can use the textbooks on my primary device because it is going to be a laptop/tablet convertible! Its quite light too so hopefully alls good! First world problems  ;)

GodlyBuddha

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:57 am »

Don't worry
I'm gonna be using old tech and lots of other people are gonna do the same.
A new technology is not needed, but it is nice too have a new laptop.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 03:38:25 pm »
maybe I can use the textbooks on my primary device because it is going to be a laptop/tablet convertible! Its quite light too so hopefully alls good! First world problems  ;)

Yeah I love First World problems! Coz it means I have nothing else to worry about!

The subject selections are annoying me.  I don't know what to pick.  I wish I could skip some of the core subjects and just do the electives coz they sound way more interesting!

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »
Don't worry
I'm gonna be using old tech and lots of other people are gonna do the same.
A new technology is not needed, but it is nice too have a new laptop.

I hope you are right.  The worst thing would be to be disadvantaged due to not having the "right" technology and end up not being able to certain things required by the syllabus and getting bad grades for it. 

So how old are your "old tech"?  Mine is about 4 years old now although it was state of the art at the time when I first got it.

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:40 pm »
Do you guys think that 13.3" (inches) is too big for a laptop to take to school? Considering the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

Rilin

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »
Do you guys think that 13.3" (inches) is too big for a laptop to take to school? Considering the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.

I think that 13.3 inches would be a good size. You don't want something that's too small or too large, and 13.3" fits right in that gap.

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »
I think that 13.3 inches would be a good size. You don't want something that's too small or too large, and 13.3" fits right in that gap.
haha thanks :) Which laptop are you planning to get? PM if you want  :)

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »
I have decided to use a macbook pro that was purchased by my mum during may. Would this be considered as prior purchase right ?

Technically it is a prior purchase but since there have been no new MacBook released and it has only been a few months since May you could also argue that it is a NEW purchase.  Not that it matters whether you call it prior or new purchase, it is still a damn nice laptop to have.

So is it being used by your mum at the moment so she will get a new laptop now that you are taking that off her?