Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:48:48 pm

Author Topic: what to learn to get into Melbourne high in year 10?  (Read 2545 times)  Share 

ahad2703

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Loading...
  • School Grad Year: 2018
what to learn to get into Melbourne high in year 10?
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:04 pm »
Hi, sadly i didn't get into any of the selective schools this year, i want to prepare for the year 10 test, could someone please tell me everything i need to learn to get into melbourne in year 10. Websites that also help would appreciated.

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: what to learn to get into Melbourne high in year 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:51:18 pm »
+2
Hey, I got in through Year 10 entry but did minimal preparation for the actual test, mainly for the JMSS one which really helped :). Make sure you don't put all your effort into test preperation, because the truth is that they are looking for all-rounded students that do extra-curricular activities outside of school, such as sport, music and drama.

For Academics however:
Maths - Make sure you understand everything in the Year 9 textbook, and do exercises correlated to examples so that you know you are on the right track. I recommend Cambridge Essentials for a textbook :)
Numerical Reasoning - Do practise papers, I'm sure you can find multiple on the web. Maybe purchase a patterns book and work your way through that, because there are plenty of questions that ask you to identify a pattern
Reading Comprehension - Read as much as possible! You have over half a year to prepare from now so make sure you can read really quickly and absorb the information at the same time.
Verbal Reasoning - Again, read as much as possible so you can pick up vocabulary
Persuasive Writing - Write practise essays, and try and get used to a certain structure (Work out what is best for you, I use Intro, 3 Body Paragraphs with a main point in each, and a Conclusion)
Creative Writing - Similar to persuasive writing, but you can't really prepare a structure. This is where learning sophisticated vocabulary can really come in handy, if you can recall upon them in the right context, you will receive glowing marks

I highly recommend joining a sporting club outside of school now, not only so you can include it in your application, but also for the health benefits and fun :). Get involved in everything you can find happening around your school, such as drama productions, leadership roles and volunteering. They are looking for all-rounded people, don't forget! Make sure you work on your speaking skills for the interview, some people are naturally good at them, but many people find themselves shy in high-stake interviews.

Good luck, and sorry for the lengthy post! :)
2018-2020: UoM Comm

Asteriskkk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:37 pm »
Not just a sporting club, if your musically inclined, then go ahead and learn an instrument, or you can be a regular volunteer and do community work.
There's tons of extra curricular activities

SKGUN11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 9+10=21
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:20:21 pm »
Hey man, I got into JMSS and have a few friends who got accepted into MHS at year 10. The best advice I have is, while you have just less than a year left, join as much co-curricular things as possible.

Sport
Poetry Comps
Writing Comps
Debating
Volunteering
Work Experience
Science/Maths/English comps
LOTE certificates

Those are just some! Good luck man, you will be fine  ;)
:D

kpoplover

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: John Monash Science School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:07:00 pm »
My friend got into Macrob for year 10 and she says to basically know your year 9 maths inside out.  Work on your speed, improve your vocab and essay structure, read passages quickly and interpret as much as you can.

InNeedForHelp

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:44:24 am »
I know a couple people who've gotten in to MHS in year 10.

You don't need to destroy the exam to get in, but you need to have a significant amount of extra curricular achievements.

They favour state/national level runners and swimmers.
Cadets and Boy Scouts.

Good luck.