Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:05:10 am

Author Topic: Biology Practice Exam Discussion  (Read 65475 times)  Share 

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
Re: Biology Practice Exam Discussion
« Reply #255 on: October 29, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »
For the attached:

- How do we know how many things to label on the diagram?
- You see how my arrows are mostly facing the north side of the page? Do we need to keep this organised and keep all arrows to one side of the diagram?
- Can the arrows go through the structures of the diagram? Like when i labelled DNA helicase the arrow went through the DNA, is this allowed?
- Do we need to show the nitrogenous bases or are the lines alright?

There are about 10 things that you can label to get the marks. Some things you missed are showing the double helix complementary base pairing, DNA ligase and labeling leading and lagging strand. The layout is fine

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #256 on: October 29, 2015, 06:59:53 pm »
There are about 10 things that you can label to get the marks. Some things you missed are showing the double helix complementary base pairing, DNA ligase and labeling leading and lagging strand. The layout is fine

- So do we have to include the base pairings?
- And is it 4 marks = 4 labels ALWAYS or ?

And also for the difference between binary fission and mitosis, i said that mitosis is nuclear division of eukaryotic cells, whereas binary fission is the cellular division of prokaryotes. Is this correct?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

Yacoubb

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #257 on: October 29, 2015, 07:05:38 pm »
- So do we have to include the base pairings?
- And is it 4 marks = 4 labels ALWAYS or ?

And also for the difference between binary fission and mitosis, i said that mitosis is nuclear division of eukaryotic cells, whereas binary fission is the cellular division of prokaryotes. Is this correct?

I think they only wanted 4 labels; as long as you've added the main things, you'd be getting the full marks.

I wouldn't give your second answer the mark for the reason that it's kind of just stating an obvious difference in a way. The best thing to go with is length of time (binary fission occurs a lot faster than mitosis due to the smaller amount of genetic material that needs to be replicated); binary fission has no stages - mitosis has prophase, metapjase, anaphase and telophase.
2013-2014: VCE
2015-2017: BSc. at University of Melbourne. Majoring in Microbiology & Immunology.
2018: Honours - Restoring immunocompetency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
2019-2022: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Deakin University

Completed VCE Biology in 2013 with a study score of 47. Offering tutoring in VCE Biology for 2020 in Geelong region! PM me for more details.