Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 01:10:42 pm

Author Topic: Which Tutoring Centre should I go to?  (Read 2483 times)  Share 

Aearator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Which Tutoring Centre should I go to?
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:00:41 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have been attending JAC for about 3 months and the classes that I paid for there are soon going to end. I disliked JAC at first as they didn’t teach much, but then I started to get serious about the exam and started working harder and have found the extra prac exams they give out online helpful. I was wondering whether or not I should switch my tutoring centre to Spectrum as a family friend who got into MHS has told me they are helpful. So I should I stay at JAC, switch to spectrum or just get tutoring later down the road? Btw, there are approximately 4 and a half months to the exam. Any help would be greatly appreciated  :) :)
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Which Tutoring Centre should I go to?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:18:48 pm »
+1
Hi!
If i'm not mistaken, JAC selective entry classed go right up to the test date. Don't they?
I can't comment on Spectrum as I did not go there, but I do know at least 80% of the kids in my JAC class got in a school. While sometimes they go beyond in difficulty, I think it's great practice.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Aearator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:45:00 pm »
Hi!
If i'm not mistaken, JAC selective entry classed go right up to the test date. Don't they?
I can't comment on Spectrum as I did not go there, but I do know at least 80% of the kids in my JAC class got in a school. While sometimes they go beyond in difficulty, I think it's great practice.

Thanks for the reply, I probably will just get more JAC classes until the date, I was just freaking out because if I don’t get into a selective school my parents would’ve spent LOT of money on tuition for no reason  :(

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:55:04 pm »
+3
Believe it or not, selective schools aren't as special as you might think. At times I honestly believe I shouldn't have accepted my offer. Also, from what i've heard from other people in selective schools, theirs isn't too different. I'm a firm believer that people can achieve those high scores in any school.
Just out of curiosity, why do you wish to attend a selective school? What do you believe is so good about them?
Subjects

Aearator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:23 pm »
Believe it or not, selective schools aren't as special as you might think. At times I honestly believe I shouldn't have accepted my offer. Also, from what i've heard from other people in selective schools, theirs isn't too different. I'm a firm believer that people can achieve those high scores in any school.
Just out of curiosity, why do you wish to attend a selective school? What do you believe is so good about them?

Well, I want to get into a selective school since it places me in a better environment to work, and I’m surrounded by intelligent people, so it’ll help me out. Side note: I may not get more JAC classes, since they only give 10 and 20 class/lesson deals, so I might have to wait for around 2 months before joining again :(. But it’s ok, since a lot of people have just self studied and if I put in the effort and hard work I can get in. Btw, my sister told me the same thing, that I can achieve highly no matter where I am and even if I don’t get in, the studying I do right now will help me in the future. Thanks for the reply  :)

Lear

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:02:50 pm »
+1
Your sister sounds like a very wise person :) I can't agree enough. Hard work and effort go way further than schools, teachers and people who surround you.

However on your point of being surrounded by intelligent people, I'd have to agree that it certainly makes you want to work harder in a competitive environment. Me as an example, I was beginning to become very complacent in my old school as I did not have to work as hard to do well. However, going into a selective school really opens you up to what kind of kids you up against, and this has definitely made me work harder. That being said, this only works for some people. While people like me may thrive in competition, others crumble. And that's totally fine, these schools aren't for everyone.

Also on your point of not getting into JAC, it really isn't a big deal. Hard work by yourself is much better than forced work by a tutor. You still have plenty of time left, make sure to look at some other resources on this forum and ask questions if need be. There are some excellent people on this forum that will always be willing to help you.

I hope you do well and wish you luck in getting into the school of your choice. You can definitely do it :)
Subjects

Aearator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 11:30:04 pm »
Your sister sounds like a very wise person :) I can't agree enough. Hard work and effort go way further than schools, teachers and people who surround you.

However on your point of being surrounded by intelligent people, I'd have to agree that it certainly makes you want to work harder in a competitive environment. Me as an example, I was beginning to become very complacent in my old school as I did not have to work as hard to do well. However, going into a selective school really opens you up to what kind of kids you up against, and this has definitely made me work harder. That being said, this only works for some people. While people like me may thrive in competition, others crumble. And that's totally fine, these schools aren't for everyone.

Also on your point of not getting into JAC, it really isn't a big deal. Hard work by yourself is much better than forced work by a tutor. You still have plenty of time left, make sure to look at some other resources on this forum and ask questions if need be. There are some excellent people on this forum that will always be willing to help you.

I hope you do well and wish you luck in getting into the school of your choice. You can definitely do it :)

Thanks so much for the help. All I need to do now is try and find some good online resources for worksheets/tests. Again, thanks :)

Aearator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 10:39:09 pm »
+2
Side note, went to JAC today and they offered to give like 10% off if I take classes up to the test date, so I took the offer. Now I just need to work hard and put in the effort  :)