Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:32:56 pm

Author Topic: SELP or not? Just some selective entrance stuff  (Read 1100 times)  Share 

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
  • Respect: 0
SELP or not? Just some selective entrance stuff
« on: August 26, 2019, 06:51:56 pm »
Hi guys. I'm from WSC, a non-selective government school. But it does features a selective entrance learning program, where they can go for competitions and honor, do an accelerated learning program, go on cool excursions and becomes the stars of this not-so-well-known school.
The test is hold on 2nd September, a few weeks after the enrollments from selective schools come out, I wonder why that happens.
Spoiler
It is because most people got into this learning program in year 7, for people applying year 9 and 10 all the places available is to fill up the gaps caused by people leaving. Why are people leaving? well, some people got enrollment from another school! since there are almost no year 9 people got to SCHS this year, the places is extremely limited.
To make it worse, when you are applying SELP in your own school you have to do an interview!
Anyone knows more about the selected in a non-selective school? And am I suggested to apply?
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
Re: SELP or not? Just some selective entrance stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:47:05 pm »
Hi guys. I'm from WSC, a non-selective government school. But it does features a selective entrance learning program, where they can go for competitions and honor, do an accelerated learning program, go on cool excursions and becomes the stars of this not-so-well-known school.
The test is hold on 2nd September, a few weeks after the enrollments from selective schools come out, I wonder why that happens.
Spoiler
It is because most people got into this learning program in year 7, for people applying year 9 and 10 all the places available is to fill up the gaps caused by people leaving. Why are people leaving? well, some people got enrollment from another school! since there are almost no year 9 people got to SCHS this year, the places is extremely limited.
To make it worse, when you are applying SELP in your own school you have to do an interview!
Anyone knows more about the selected in a non-selective school? And am I suggested to apply?
When I did the SELP program at my current school , it was in year 6 for year 7 accelerated entrance. But I know some kids from my school who did the accelerated program, like you, at school in years 7 and 8. Basically it shouldn't be too difficult but here is like the general format when I did it in year 6:
Mathematics:
40 questions in 30 minutes. Basically yr 8 stuff was tested out, like indices, basic trigonometry, quadratic expressions (at the most difficulty)
Reading Comprehension:
Don't remember this too much, but it was like the selective schools one,just a bit more easier (probably cos we were in yr 6).
Writing:
There was a creative piece, and we had like 40 minutes to write about a topic (can't remember but something relating to artifical weather and stuff).
And there was a persuasive essay-like piece, we also had 40 minutes (it was about global warming and climate change).

Soz that is all I can think off, but from what I heard from friends, it is supposed to be easier as you move a lvl (like if u try from year 7 to year 8, that is easier than year 6 to year 7). I'm sure you will do fine with your calibre, just probably practice on reading comprehension.

(Also I know that the format is obviously not the same for all schools, but there should be a maths component and an english one. We didn't have a science one. From my school 26 people including my classmates and I got selected, from around 150 participants of the test).

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:44:16 am »
When I did the SELP program at my current school , it was in year 6 for year 7 accelerated entrance. But I know some kids from my school who did the accelerated program, like you, at school in years 7 and 8. Basically it shouldn't be too difficult but here is like the general format when I did it in year 6:
Mathematics:
40 questions in 30 minutes. Basically yr 8 stuff was tested out, like indices, basic trigonometry, quadratic expressions (at the most difficulty)
Reading Comprehension:
Don't remember this too much, but it was like the selective schools one,just a bit more easier (probably cos we were in yr 6).
Writing:
There was a creative piece, and we had like 40 minutes to write about a topic (can't remember but something relating to artifical weather and stuff).
And there was a persuasive essay-like piece, we also had 40 minutes (it was about global warming and climate change).

Soz that is all I can think off, but from what I heard from friends, it is supposed to be easier as you move a lvl (like if u try from year 7 to year 8, that is easier than year 6 to year 7). I'm sure you will do fine with your calibre, just probably practice on reading comprehension.

(Also I know that the format is obviously not the same for all schools, but there should be a maths component and an english one. We didn't have a science one. From my school 26 people including my classmates and I got selected, from around 150 participants of the test).
Thanks for typing that a lot, but I don’t think year 6 testing will be anywhere close to a year 9 test! I think it will more likely the EduTest of those selective schools

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 01:44:17 pm »
Thanks for typing that a lot, but I don’t think year 6 testing will be anywhere close to a year 9 test! I think it will more likely the EduTest of those selective schools
Yhh hehe I realised that already. But ofcourse, I didn't mean u to literally follow everything I said. I just wanted u to get a general idea of a Accelerated program. Trust me, you will be fine, it is nowhere as hard as those selective tests (and , [i am certain of this] it is not going to be conducted by the EduTest). You could also always ask your school for more info of the format though.

Anyway, try asking others at your school about how hard the test will be at your school.

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:25:14 pm »
Yhh hehe I realised that already. But ofcourse, I didn't mean u to literally follow everything I said. I just wanted u to get a general idea of a Accelerated program. Trust me, you will be fine, it is nowhere as hard as those selective tests (and , [i am certain of this] it is not going to be conducted by the EduTest). You could also always ask your school for more info of the format though.

Anyway, try asking others at your school about how hard the test will be at your school.
Well for our school, it is conducted by EduTest. The subjects in the given example tests are identical to the one in Suzanne Cory

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:29 pm »
Well for our school, it is conducted by EduTest. The subjects in the given example tests are identical to the one in Suzanne Cory
Really??? Well, don't get me wrong when I ask this, but then you should have no problem knowing about the test and the program! After all, u did the one for Suzanne Cory right?

As for the select entry program, it is basically just doing one year or two years (in my school) ahead of what is taught.Honestly, u should be fine from what I have seen, and I definitely recommend that u join :).

BTW what school do you go to (cos I really haven't heard of a school other than selective schools which use EduTest yet, so yh dunno something like this even exists  ???)