Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:32 am

Author Topic: JMSS 2022 Entry  (Read 110164 times)  Share 

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: JMSS 2022 Entry
« Reply #495 on: October 01, 2021, 05:25:03 pm »
don't tell me this chat is dead..........

You might have better luck PM-ing the others but I guess it is dead  :-[

notzxynab

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:25 pm »
don't tell me this chat is dead..........

damn am i too late to the party😅

idk12345

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #497 on: October 26, 2021, 05:26:17 pm »
+2
Hey everyone,

I did the entrance exam in 2021 to go to JMSS as a year 10 in 2022. I just wanted to pop onto ATAR notes and give you an overview of how it was like for me because this website helped me so much. I just want to start off by saying I was not one of those people who had a mindset that was like "I am definitely going to JMSS" so I wouldn't be able to say much about tuition etc. Also, I just wanted to point out that, yes, getting to JMSS is fairly easy (compared to Macrob and Melb High). However, this does not mean you should study any less.

I didn't pass the exam. I had one superior, one above average and one high average (people with the same score that went to more dodgy schools got in though). My friend, however, got in and she had one superior and two above averages. If you were wondering, I also did the Macrob Exam in 2020 and got three superiors and one average (didn't get selected). My friend got in with two superiors and two above averages. We only had 4 tests due to lockdown.

Back to the JMSS exam, this year, we did the test during the lockdown period so the exam was online and we did not have any essays or written tasks. People could easily cheat and it was incredibly annoying but we had no choice but to work in these conditions. We had numerical reasoning, science reasoning and mathematics for the examination. ICAS definitely helped for science reasoning. This year, we had questions that came from year 8 and 7 knowledge so make sure to revise these years. If you can read information, examine diagrams and answer questions using knowledge from the given info, then you are fine. I think all these other comments list good methods to practice so I won't repeat the info. I would also recommend doing a Henderson practice test (treat it like the real exam). James Ann is great, but for JMSS they did not give science reasoning, instead, they gave science theory which is quite useless for the JMSS test. I would say just practice basic maths that is being done at school and ICAS. Maths and numerical reasoning is not hard at all, but the numerical takes a bit of time, so get used to like recognising patterns. Mathematics is easy if you know the basics.

Another important thing is if you do not make it into the school, don't worry. I am not saying don't try, infact try as hard as you can, treat it like VCE. But, if you don't, no stress. Think of the positives. I, myself regret not trying harder for the exam but remember some people reject offers to JMSS even after getting in. When going to those schools with high standards, it gets really stressful and its harder to get opportunities. Although JMSS does have a blazer, in ways not passing the exam is a positive.

Wishing you guys all the best :)
Please do contact me for any questions

JZou276

• Trailblazer
« Reply #498 on: October 26, 2021, 08:22:26 pm »
Hey everyone,

I did the entrance exam in 2021 to go to JMSS as a year 10 in 2022. I just wanted to pop onto ATAR notes and give you an overview of how it was like for me because this website helped me so much. I just want to start off by saying I was not one of those people who had a mindset that was like "I am definitely going to JMSS" so I wouldn't be able to say much about tuition etc. Also, I just wanted to point out that, yes, getting to JMSS is fairly easy (compared to Macrob and Melb High). However, this does not mean you should study any less.

I didn't pass the exam. I had one superior, one above average and one high average (people with the same score that went to more dodgy schools got in though). My friend, however, got in and she had one superior and two above averages. If you were wondering, I also did the Macrob Exam in 2020 and got three superiors and one average (didn't get selected). My friend got in with two superiors and two above averages. We only had 4 tests due to lockdown.

Back to the JMSS exam, this year, we did the test during the lockdown period so the exam was online and we did not have any essays or written tasks. People could easily cheat and it was incredibly annoying but we had no choice but to work in these conditions. We had numerical reasoning, science reasoning and mathematics for the examination. ICAS definitely helped for science reasoning. This year, we had questions that came from year 8 and 7 knowledge so make sure to revise these years. If you can read information, examine diagrams and answer questions using knowledge from the given info, then you are fine. I think all these other comments list good methods to practice so I won't repeat the info. I would also recommend doing a Henderson practice test (treat it like the real exam). James Ann is great, but for JMSS they did not give science reasoning, instead, they gave science theory which is quite useless for the JMSS test. I would say just practice basic maths that is being done at school and ICAS. Maths and numerical reasoning is not hard at all, but the numerical takes a bit of time, so get used to like recognising patterns. Mathematics is easy if you know the basics.

Another important thing is if you do not make it into the school, don't worry. I am not saying don't try, infact try as hard as you can, treat it like VCE. But, if you don't, no stress. Think of the positives. I, myself regret not trying harder for the exam but remember some people reject offers to JMSS even after getting in. When going to those schools with high standards, it gets really stressful and its harder to get opportunities. Although JMSS does have a blazer, in ways not passing the exam is a positive.

Wishing you guys all the best :)
Please do contact me for any questions

thanks for this, I also sat the test this year and I got 3 superiors and above average (the above average was the science writing which is only taken for people that had made it into the interviews idk why they did it this way). Following up, yes Jac was completely useless for the JMSS test because the science is theory not reasoning and because the maths and nr was easy. the writing did help, because I got taught the correct structure and stuff like that in a prac report. Just find some ICAS for the science reasoning and for maths and nr you could probably to the stuff the same as the other selective schools (it is all run by edutest so tests will have same concepts).

Its not the end of the world if u don't get in there's always, I failed last year and this year I got into jmss and mhs, however I'm rejected the offer cos I chose mhs.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2021, 12:28:26 pm »
thanks for this, I also sat the test this year and I got 3 superiors and above average (the above average was the science writing which is only taken for people that had made it into the interviews idk why they did it this way). Following up, yes Jac was completely useless for the JMSS test because the science is theory not reasoning and because the maths and nr was easy. the writing did help, because I got taught the correct structure and stuff like that in a prac report. Just find some ICAS for the science reasoning and for maths and nr you could probably to the stuff the same as the other selective schools (it is all run by edutest so tests will have same concepts).

Its not the end of the world if u don't get in there's always, I failed last year and this year I got into jmss and mhs, however I'm rejected the offer cos I chose mhs.

Wow! Great Job!

ineedtogetbetter

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #500 on: January 05, 2022, 12:31:33 pm »
Hello,
Thanks for the guides in effectuating the interview, but I just wanna know if you or anyone else reading this message know the (EXACT QUESTIONS) for the interview since I'm doing it this year.
Thanks

Shanan :D

• Trailblazer
« Reply #501 on: January 05, 2022, 04:43:31 pm »
OMG THANKYOU THIS HELPED A LOT, especially since u went into so much detail

is it enough time if i start studing today? because idk when the exam is  and i havent even registered for admission cuz the websites acting up for me

anyways, thanks for the advice and tips!

have a happy new year :))

Have you had experience with the selective exam? If you have, it is apparently quite a good indicator of how you may do (although the selective exam is harder.)

6 months is quite some time to prepare, so you should be fine if you study often.

If you have a somewhat clear understanding of year 9 and maybe year 10 concepts by the exam, you should be fine!

edit: I realise how late I was lmao
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:21:58 am by Shanan :D »

ClassyRaven

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2022, 10:11:47 am »
         - Pick a word and explain what you think of when hearing that word between science/scientist and invention/discovery?
I know this is a year old but I was kinda confused by this part...
Did you mean that they ask us to pick a word (with the options being science, scientist, invention or discovery) and explain what we think when hearing the word?
sorry lol just confused