Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:53:33 pm

Poll

Whats your situation? (pls vote im curious) *vote to see results*

Got an offer but declined
3 (8.1%)
Got an offer and accepted it
22 (59.5%)
Fully rejected
12 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: January 27, 2022, 09:51:21 am

Author Topic: Who else is waiting for the results?? (2021 yr 9 entrance exam)  (Read 25623 times)  Share 

Selective User

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Who else is waiting for the results?? (2021 yr 9 entrance exam)
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2021, 12:05:51 pm »
To all of you guys who didn't make it, don't lose hope. We're made to believe that selective schools are schools which guarantee a bright future when in reality, they do not. I know how it feels to fail this test and I know that some of you guys studied for ages but still failed but what can you do now? Yeah, every 2 minutes you might think about how much you studied, how you were on the day of the exam, how you hoped you would get in, how you imagined yourself going to that school, but there is truly no point in pondering about this test. It's over. Forget it. Literally forget it. It's one random exam and maybe if you did the exam three days later, you might have learnt a maths concept which you could have used in those really hard questions and that might have been the difference between you making it, and someone else getting into a school. Don't brood over this exam and focus on the future. Create a plan for year 9. Make new goals and work hard. The more you think of this, the worse you feel and trust me if you keep thinking about how you failed in this exam, you will underachieve in VCE. There is a domino effect which makes you think that you can't do well and remember doing well means your best- NOT Someone else's best. So forget this exam as it doesn't directly affect your future and work on the future. Always remember for every minute you feel sad, you lose 60 seconds of happiness.

To those of you who made it, forget the exam. It's done. You passed. Who cares? Move on if you haven't and go concentrate on setting newer goals for yourselves.

Yeah, thanks for your encouragement. For everyone who didn't make it in, hopefulyl you will succeed in something or the other

Vxp121

• Adventurer
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2021, 12:31:03 pm »
Thanks for encouragement.

As days passes by we will be alright and accept the fact that we couldn't make it .. but at the same time feel bit annoyed with 5% CAP from each school which knocks off chance in a competitive school.

I was preparing for this for 2 years and now it feels everything has come to a sudden stop.

2piguy

• Adventurer
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2021, 12:55:27 pm »
What do you guys expect from a selective school and which one did you want to get into? I'm certain private schools are much better - the standards are certainly high there (see results from MGS and Scotch scholarship boys). The longer I've been at a selective school the more I regret the decision to go, especially after enduring two years of a watered-down school experience. I've had less opportunities for VCE and early university due to my attendance at a selective school in addition to having less free time (travel and work requirements) which I spent my 7th and 8th grade reading, coding and problem-solving. Don't feel like you've lost touch for not making it in, I think after seeing only a single 3/4 in my results I have become depressed by the idea of doing 5 subjects next year knowing that I would only need to do three or four at my prior school.

• Adventurer
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2021, 01:26:45 pm »
To all of you guys who didn't make it, don't lose hope. We're made to believe that selective schools are schools which guarantee a bright future when in reality, they do not. I know how it feels to fail this test and I know that some of you guys studied for ages but still failed but what can you do now? Yeah, every 2 minutes you might think about how much you studied, how you were on the day of the exam, how you hoped you would get in, how you imagined yourself going to that school, but there is truly no point in pondering about this test. It's over. Forget it. Literally forget it. It's one random exam and maybe if you did the exam three days later, you might have learnt a maths concept which you could have used in those really hard questions and that might have been the difference between you making it, and someone else getting into a school. Don't brood over this exam and focus on the future. Create a plan for year 9. Make new goals and work hard. The more you think of this, the worse you feel and trust me if you keep thinking about how you failed in this exam, you will underachieve in VCE. There is a domino effect which makes you think that you can't do well and remember doing well means your best- NOT Someone else's best. So forget this exam as it doesn't directly affect your future and work on the future. Always remember for every minute you feel sad, you lose 60 seconds of happiness.

To those of you who made it, forget the exam. It's done. You passed. Who cares? Move on if you haven't and go concentrate on setting newer goals for yourselves.
Thank you sm for saying this

• Adventurer
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2021, 01:40:34 pm »
What do you guys expect from a selective school and which one did you want to get into? I'm certain private schools are much better - the standards are certainly high there (see results from MGS and Scotch scholarship boys). The longer I've been at a selective school the more I regret the decision to go, especially after enduring two years of a watered-down school experience. I've had less opportunities for VCE and early university due to my attendance at a selective school in addition to having less free time (travel and work requirements) which I spent my 7th and 8th grade reading, coding and problem-solving. Don't feel like you've lost touch for not making it in, I think after seeing only a single 3/4 in my results I have become depressed by the idea of doing 5 subjects next year knowing that I would only need to do three or four at my prior school.
I applied for SCHS which is close to my current school. It’s like 10 minutes away from my house. And 7 minutes ish from my current school. I live on the west side so macrob would’ve been mentally draining and tiring coming home everyday at around 5pm 5 days a week. And it would be tiring for my parents if they take me home everyday and to school. I didn’t make it in but I’m kinda glad I didn’t. Apparently some ppl just fall behind and drop out those schools when they don’t teach properly. But idk I guess those schools have better opportunities like travelling to countries. I’ve seen SCHS have been to like NYC,Greece,China and a few other countries in Asia before as like camp/ subject excursion.
It all seems fun and many schools don’t have those opportunities i guess, but that’s the 1 of the few things I might be missing out on, as well as music (piano lol) but it’s all good.

But yeah you’re right.

guest_10284628102

• Adventurer
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2021, 01:44:20 pm »
one of my friends got a third round offer for mhs !!

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2021, 01:47:46 pm »
OMG that's amazing!. After checking my E-mails constantly, I have lost hope lol.

2piguy

• Adventurer
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2021, 02:06:58 pm »
I applied for SCHS which is close to my current school. It’s like 10 minutes away from my house. And 7 minutes ish from my current school. I live on the west side so macrob would’ve been mentally draining and tiring coming home everyday at around 5pm 5 days a week. And it would be tiring for my parents if they take me home everyday and to school. I didn’t make it in but I’m kinda glad I didn’t. Apparently some ppl just fall behind and drop out those schools when they don’t teach properly. But idk I guess those schools have better opportunities like travelling to countries. I’ve seen SCHS have been to like NYC,Greece,China and a few other countries in Asia before as like camp/ subject excursion.
It all seems fun and many schools don’t have those opportunities i guess, but that’s the 1 of the few things I might be missing out on, as well as music (piano lol) but it’s all good.

But yeah you’re right.

I go to MHS so I can't say anything about the other schools. The reason I'm posting here is because I remember stressing out before the exam in 8th grade after studying so much (not sure if my hours of study were worth it, it's best to think about current life than consider hypothetical that can't be). I can say that there are certain things here that are great, such as the sports, extracurriculars, music and the environment - one of my main reasons was oddly the proximity to the city since I would only visit one every year or two before making it in.

Also I can confirm that people do "burn out" after making it in. I've found that the Year 10 entrants (where extracurriculars such as sport and music have a large priority) have sometimes greatly outperformed the Year 9 entrants which is really interesting. I remember the attitude in Year 9 MHS was incredibly "chill", as if students' major goal of making it into the school was over and the two junior years were a time to relax.

And to those who complain about the cap on students, I can attest that this is a horrible system and it surely undermines the meritocratic testing system to get into the schools. Most of my friends who didn't get in either stayed at my old school in the accelerated class or went to John Monash Science School (JMSS). I can see that there are some schools by my peers that the schools they came from are correlated to their effort in school and their results. Additionally, I know some of my friends that are with me now who I knew at my prior school only performed slightly better on the exam but may potentially not be as "deserving" (whatever that may imply) of taking the position "from" another student. They might change the 5% cap some day.

• Adventurer
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2021, 06:43:48 pm »
Thank you for sharing that!! Appreciate it fr

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2021, 07:35:57 pm »

But yeah you’re right.

If you go to a selective school, how you feel there depends on you. If you can get tired after staying in one spot on a train, then that's a you problem that only you can fix, not the school or PTV. If you can't balance your time to do certain things, that is something you can fix not the school. Every school gives work, that's a fact everyone knows. The only difference is that you were in year 8 at your previous school where the workload is tons less than years 9 and 10. The way I judge a school and the way you judge a school are very different. However, if you try to be more open, you might realise that it's not the school's fault for trying to challenge you and make you the best you can be.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2021, 07:37:07 pm »
Woops replied to the wrong person that was meant for 2piguy.

2piguy

• Adventurer
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2021, 09:42:16 pm »
If you go to a selective school, how you feel there depends on you. If you can get tired after staying in one spot on a train, then that's a you problem that only you can fix, not the school or PTV. If you can't balance your time to do certain things, that is something you can fix not the school. Every school gives work, that's a fact everyone knows. The only difference is that you were in year 8 at your previous school where the workload is tons less than years 9 and 10. The way I judge a school and the way you judge a school are very different. However, if you try to be more open, you might realise that it's not the school's fault for trying to challenge you and make you the best you can be.

I can certainly agree with that, I spent much of the time outside of school on extracurriculars (if you get into a selective school you will have many of such opportunities) that ran on every weekday and many weekends along with my holidays. Of course it was a choice of mine. Also note that you can't do MM3/4 in Year 11 without "exceptional" performance unlike other schools where it's open to at least the accelerated classes. You can only do a single 3/4 in Y11 as well. You have to weigh the positives and negatives. Anyways, I was targeting those who felt down about not making it in to a selective school - and I for-one wouldn't mind if I never went to one.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2021, 04:00:59 pm »
I can certainly agree with that, I spent much of the time outside of school on extracurriculars (if you get into a selective school you will have many of such opportunities) that ran on every weekday and many weekends along with my holidays. Of course it was a choice of mine. Also note that you can't do MM3/4 in Year 11 without "exceptional" performance unlike other schools where it's open to at least the accelerated classes. You can only do a single 3/4 in Y11 as well. You have to weigh the positives and negatives. Anyways, I was targeting those who felt down about not making it in to a selective school - and I for-one wouldn't mind if I never went to one.

all good brother

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2021, 10:14:04 am »
Hey everyone,

The actual scores/results for the exam are coming out tomorrow. As ureba said, we should post screenshots of them here if you feel comfortable doing so. Hopefully we get at least a couple of superiors and reasonably good marks.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2021, 11:27:56 am »
Yup! I'll post mine when I get them :)

Good luck to everyone !!