Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:55:47 am

Author Topic: how to study to get into Melbourne High and Macrob?  (Read 94890 times)  Share 

iNerd

Re: how to study to get into Melbourne High and Macrob?
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »
Basu is the easiest teacher you can get. You just got2 keep your mouth shut and watch the A's and A+'s roll in
Perfect for Y9/10 but notso for Y11/12. I've heard she's actually banned from teaching Y12 due to complaints about her? Is dat true?

iNerd

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2010, 09:32:53 pm »
In recent times they've been hiring more and more young students.

The teaching ability some of them have is remarkable, but placing young female teachers into an all boys school is not the best idea I do not think.

Cianyx, who are you ? :P
Bro I think you mean teachers :P ...And the 'young female teachers', is that referring to the new psychology teacher? Not the "best idea" lol...never really got the details on the whole sexual harassment thing? Assuming Y11/12s did something idiotic.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »
who the hell judges a school by the number of frees you get?

Cianyx

« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »
Humour is obviously lost on you

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2010, 10:12:25 am »
we both know that that isn't funny

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2010, 03:12:44 pm »
Take a guess. 1 in a 360 chance. Or I'll tell you in about a months time. I've got a sneaky feeling that Ludo (or Minto) spends a few hours a day googling our school to find out if anyone shit talks it. Don't feel like skipping Speech Night

oh I can narrow it down. I'm calling Bradford/Burgin/Randell/Lee
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:39:04 pm by taiga »
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Cianyx

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:12 pm »
we both know that that isn't funny
Aside from the fact that I wasn't even accessing the school based on a number of frees, the statement was more jocular than anything. Humour doesn't always have to elicit laughter. Ya dig?

And your second statement is indeed correct. Now that narrows down the odds to about 200 to 1

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »
*358:1

ex admin/mod/partner

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Cianyx

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »
Now it's like 1:1

The Detective

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2010, 11:18:02 pm »
this has gone off topic a bit... most people go to tuition centers prior to the entrance exam

3333an

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2010, 04:52:47 pm »
There's sample papers for MacRob and Melb High available for download somewhere....

The test questions are VERY VERY similiar to the practice questions, if not the same. They just jumble some of the numbers around and insert some new numbers in.

Provided that you know your stuff, maths would probably be the easiest out of all the tests. There are some stuff related to simple trigonometry, but thats as hard as it gets.

English is a real killer if you are not a speed reader. The excerpts that give you for reading comprehension are literally a page to a page and a half in length, whilst having 3-4 question accompanying each. Tip: do not spend too much time reading. Skim past it and attempt the questions, or look at the questions first and then find it in the passage.

Numerical reasoning is plain weird. Has to do with patterns and stuff. Verbal reasoning is alright though, provided that you know a whole heap of useless vocab.

For the essay section, topics can be very very random. No real point trying to revise or study for it. Just make sure you have a good writing foundation. Don't spend too much time planning or pondering. Get straight to the writing and the ideas would flow out. You only have 15 mins to do it, and most people struggle to even finish. Do not do anything too complex, but all in the while somehow make your pieces stand out from the sea of mediocrity.

Hope this helps in some way.

3333an

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2010, 04:58:28 pm »
Could anyone tell me where i could get past papers or sample papers for the Macrob exam ? I will be sitting the test and i am really scared simply because I not confident on what exactly is going to be on the test. please help...   

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »
Could anyone tell me where i could get past papers or sample papers for the Macrob exam ? I will be sitting the test and i am really scared simply because I not confident on what exactly is going to be on the test. please help...   

There are practice questions somewhere in the registration process. It will be an essay on a recent issue, try back issues of the age education section.

Maths just learn trigonometry, and everything on the year 8 course. Comprehension try the past papers for UNSW english (comprehension)

ex admin/mod/partner

iNerd

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2010, 05:27:45 pm »

There are practice questions somewhere in the registration process. It will be an essay on a recent issue, try back issues of the age education section.

Maths just learn trigonometry, and everything on the year 8 course. Comprehension try the past papers for UNSW english (comprehension)
Found here

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2010, 05:33:17 pm »
oh wait the company has changed since i sat it :( sorry

ex admin/mod/partner