Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:30:20 am

Author Topic: Chemistry SAC 1 Prep  (Read 4829 times)  Share 

Diversal

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Chemistry SAC 1 Prep
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:56:57 pm »
I'd like to create a discussion related to preparation for the first Chemistry Sac, my school is doing this SAC in roughly two weeks.
If anyone has any practice sacs they'd like to contribute, or vital information that is important to know to succeed in this SAC, please do share!
I'm going for a 99.85 atar this year so any help would be incredibly useful on my pursuit to getting into monash accelerated biomedicine!

Here is the information provided by my school for our sac, obviously these sacs can vary from school-to-school but have similarities

OUTCOME 1:  To compare fuels quantitatively with reference to combustion products and energy outputs

OC 1 SAC 1:  (This task contributes 25 marks to the overall SAC results for Unit 3)
* The grade for this task is only part of the internal assessment for this Unit.  Your total school assessed coursework score may change because of statistical moderation by VCAA.

Part One:   Students may work in pairs to conduct each of the following laboratory investigations:
Prac 1:  Determining the heat of combustion of fuels

Prac 2: Molar volume of hydrogen
      Complete Lab work + calculations - 2 hours

Part Two:  Experimental analysis of heat of combustion of fuels; as well as precise quantitative interpretation of experimental data

(a)  Prac 1 and Prac 2
(b)  Different fuels and energy from fuels
(c)  Stoichiometry and the combustion of fuels

Reference:  Chapters 1, 2 and 3

Date: 4 March 2019                     Writing time:  1 hour 30 minutes

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Chemistry SAC 1 Prep
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:06:32 pm »
+1
Imo your best bet would be to go through old VCAA exams and practice on questions relevant to AOS1. I also believe sharing copyrighted resources is against forum rules.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Diversal

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:08:39 pm »
Thank you for letting me know, I'm new here this is my first post  :D

I'll look into those exams

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 05:29:41 pm »
+1
Thank you for letting me know, I'm new here this is my first post  :D

I'll look into those exams
Hey Diversal,

Welcome to AN.

As Lear suggested it would be great to go over past chemistry exams and complete the questions that are relevant to your practical. As you have already stated all schools will have different sacs but it isn't too uncommon for teachers to be lazy and just copy the VCAA questions. But also they are good questions which cover the study design well. Even if you don't get those questions directly they should prepare you well if you understand the theory behind the concepts tested. It would also be great to understnad the practical you complete in detail as questions may arise that test whether you understood what happened in the prac directly and also other experimental questions such as controls, experimental variables etc

Hope this helps :)