Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 01:03:51 pm

Author Topic: 2 vs 3 days at Uni  (Read 2292 times)  Share 

qwerty101

2 vs 3 days at Uni
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »
So just planning my timetable. I can have the possibility of going to uni twice a week (tuesday 9-3:15 with an hour break and 15 minute break.....thursday 9-4:15 with an hour break and a 15 minute break) or going three days a week (basically same but also come on wednesday and  start at 10, but finish same times on tues and thurs with wed finished at 12)

I'm not sure if i should go 2 or 3 days, literally am in the middle. The benefits of 3 days is im more motivated to study i guess having more time being around Melbourne uni (3 days) , but then im wondering if coming in 3 days would provide better opportunities (meet more people around campus etc?). I read somewhere to take wednesday afternoons off because events are usually held past 12pm, so in both timetables wed is either fully off or off after 12pm.

Bit confusing, but hopefully you see where im coming from. I will have a job soon, so i guess i will be able to work more, and the 2 days does save me on travel time (50 minutes each way, and on the myki). I guess if i wanted to come wednesday id come without having the stress of any scheduled classes?

Im not sure.

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: 2 vs 3 days at Uni
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:28:22 pm »
+1
I'd personally go the least number of days possible if your travel time is in excess of 45 minutes each way. It depends how much you value the social aspect of university and whether you think you'd be able to concentrate when doing uni tutes/lectures for longer chunks of time. I'd argue that the more time you save going in fewer days and the less time you spend dawdling around campus without a purpose, the more effective your study will be.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

qwerty101

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:47 pm »
I'd personally go the least number of days possible if your travel time is in excess of 45 minutes each way. It depends how much you value the social aspect of university and whether you think you'd be able to concentrate when doing uni tutes/lectures for longer chunks of time. I'd argue that the more time you save going in fewer days and the less time you spend dawdling around campus without a purpose, the more effective your study will be.

Uni for me is about being social. So the reason i'd want three days is because i'd bump into more people on that extra day, but then again I'm not sure if Uni is like that, and if everyone just goes to the library in their time or even want to meet new people. Who knows idk.

The two days is attractive since its more concentrated and i'm in for study and then home after the big day. Then the pro is i guess if i want to come in on wed i can with flexibility.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:01 pm »
Two days of uni a week! My timetable has a minimum of 5 days a week (8 - 9am starts to around 6pm). Lucky you...
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:22:29 pm »
+2
So just planning my timetable. I can have the possibility of going to uni twice a week (tuesday 9-3:15 with an hour break and 15 minute break.....thursday 9-4:15 with an hour break and a 15 minute break) or going three days a week (basically same but also come on wednesday and  start at 10, but finish same times on tues and thurs with wed finished at 12)

I'm not sure if i should go 2 or 3 days, literally am in the middle. The benefits of 3 days is im more motivated to study i guess having more time being around Melbourne uni (3 days) , but then im wondering if coming in 3 days would provide better opportunities (meet more people around campus etc?). I read somewhere to take wednesday afternoons off because events are usually held past 12pm, so in both timetables wed is either fully off or off after 12pm.

Bit confusing, but hopefully you see where im coming from. I will have a job soon, so i guess i will be able to work more, and the 2 days does save me on travel time (50 minutes each way, and on the myki). I guess if i wanted to come wednesday id come without having the stress of any scheduled classes?
ehh, i like being around campus especially in your first semester theres nothing wrong with being at uni more so you can get more into the lifestyle. good breaks are important too i find so you dont get too drained by the end of the day. im weird though im the only person who seems to choose to go to uni 5 days a week when i dont have to LOL despite 1.5 hours travel each way (still better than high school 2 hours each way). this is gonna be my first semester where i only go 2 days a week to see how i like it but im unproductive at home and i definitely feel like spending more time at uni hanging out with people you make better friends and also you get motivated to study or at least do something productive

i personally like the sound of the latter option but everyone is different, also if work considerations are a factor then i would put that in highest priority. if theres something you really wanna attend i guess you could go to uni on a day where you dont have class but i dont think ive ever heard of anyone actually going through with that LOL

good luck

qwerty101

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:26:33 pm »
What about societies? (lol initially wrote societities haha whoops)

I want to be a core member of some of the societies around melb uni, so will this require my presence on my off days?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:24:26 pm »
+1
If you're doing society stuff, yeah you'll need to attend meetings. They're usually either after hours at 5 or at midday, depending on what the society is. I think 4 days off is a lot and the utility of spreading your hours out over three days is pretty big, but that's just me.

96n_n

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 09:14:43 am »
My personal preference is  2 days >>>>>>>>> 3 days a week - why? because my travel time in total for a day is at least 2 hours and I study better at home.