Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 08:24:44 am

Author Topic: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage  (Read 40808 times)  Share 

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
Re: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2011, 11:15:48 pm »
+4
The problem with gay marriage is that some people are fucking idiots and see it as somehow harmful/threatening.
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »
+3
>.> FFS, why can't people just accept that others can be different.

So what if someone has a different sexuality to yours? Do you find that threatening? Does it affect your sleeping patterns at night?

/end rant.

‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2011, 11:54:15 pm »
You fundamental religionists will be remembered with the same bitter disdain as we think of slaveholders. Just remember that.
I didn't mention religion in my post once. You don't need to get married in a church. My argument has nothing to do with religion. Yet you come out guns blazing with the tiresome "stupid religion" crap.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:32 pm »
You fundamental religionists will be remembered with the same bitter disdain as we think of slaveholders. Just remember that.
I didn't mention religion in my post once. You don't need to get married in a church. My argument has nothing to do with religion. Yet you come out guns blazing with the tiresome "stupid religion" crap.

But that's where your bigotry comes from. To deny it would be to deny your "Christian values"

I'll ask you straight out then, is your opposition to gay marriage based on your religious convictions?

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:10 am »
But that's where your bigotry comes from. To deny it would be to deny your "Christian values"

I'll ask you straight out then, is your opposition to gay marriage based on your religious convictions?
No. Religion doesn't shape my decision here. I feel that marriage is strictly between a man and a woman.

Sure there are some ridiculous situations today where a marriage lasts a few hours. But these idiots shouldn't be a representation of the current state of marriage.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:05 am »

No. Religion doesn't shape my decision here. I feel that marriage is strictly between a man and a woman.

Sure there are some ridiculous situations today where a marriage lasts a few hours. But these idiots shouldn't be a representation of the current state of marriage.

Then why do you think that marriage should only be between a man and a woman? Enumerate the negative effects of allowing gays to marry. Enumerate the positive reasons for only allowing men and women to marry.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:58:22 am by enwiabe »

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:11 am »

I kind of agree, with you there with the bit that it shouldn't be a representation of the current state of marriage, but it shouldn't also just be limited to that of a man and a woman. Its a right, and choice in life.

Taking away people's rights in basically a form of slavery, and limitation over another human being in its own right.
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2011, 01:05:12 am »

The point of my post here was to show that straight marriage has already destroyed whatever there was left of the "institution" of marriage, so you and Paul can stop using that argument to hide your bigotry behind
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2011, 01:32:11 am »
+1
The only (plausible) argument I can see against gay marriage is this. It defies the "original" purpose of marriage to the state. Marriage between a man and a women is likely to produce children, who will in turn contribute to society through paying tax, creating jobs etc. As such, married couples get certain benefits in society which are afforded to them because they will (most likely) fulfill this societal role and procreate. Gay marriages offer nothing to society (in terms of societal benefits) so why should society as a whole be bound to honour them? Gays are afforded all the rights that straight people are given. They can marry any person of the opposite sex to whom they are not related and is above the age of consent. Marriage is not an intrinsic "right" and as such society has placed boundaries on it so that it serves its original purpose. Brothers and sisters aren't allowed to marry, why should this be any different for homosexuals?

This is why this argument is wrong: In today's times, it seems the problem is more about overpopulation than underpopulation. We as a nation are turning back immigrants for fear of over crowded areas and lack of resources. How then can we say that gays can't marry because they are unable to shack up and procreate? Also, I am pretty certain that the modern purpose of marriage is not to produce children. Many heterosexual couples enter marriage with the express desire not to have children. It appears that in today's times, the purpose of marriage is to join together two consenting adults who share love for each other.

2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:45 am »
+1
Whenever i think about homosexuality i always think about it like how some people prefer dark chocolate over normal chocolate, or like how i hate eating mango cause i don like the taste of it even though its suppose to be healthy. If someone forced me to eat mango, i would never say yes. So why should a guy have to be into women,'why cant he be into men? Theres nouing wrong with liking strawberries rather than mangoes if u get me. Haha well theres my analogy - it just all depends on what taste you have! :D
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:28 am »
+2
Whenever i think about homosexuality i always think about it like how some people prefer dark chocolate over normal chocolate, or like how i hate eating mango cause i don like the taste of it even though its suppose to be healthy. If someone forced me to eat mango, i would never say yes. So why should a guy have to be into women,'why cant he be into men? Theres nouing wrong with liking strawberries rather than mangoes if u get me. Haha well theres my analogy - it just all depends on what taste you have! :D

OMG, you don't like mangoes? But they're awesome! They're my favourite fruit (by far). How can you not like them? We should make a law that everyone has to eat mangoes because that's what I like and that's what's normal. Everyone that doesn't like mango will have to deal with it and either never eat any other fruit or eat mangoes.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2011, 01:50:17 am »
^ but Mangoes are smelly :(
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:36 am »
The only (plausible) argument I can see against gay marriage is this.
I don't even think it's a plausible argument unless you're into social engineering. If you were, we'd have a bigger problem than gay marriage

And I never understood the point 'gay people given the same rights in that they can marry a person of the opposite sex'. Why the hell would they want to do that?

Whenever i think about homosexuality i always think about it like how some people prefer dark chocolate over normal chocolate,
An analogy more suited for miscegenation teehee
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:11:03 am by JellyDonut »
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

Random_Guy

« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2011, 06:19:41 pm »
Gay marriage is gay.

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:25 pm »
Gay marriage is gay.
Really? Who knew.