Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 11:10:23 am

Author Topic: Class of 2017 Discussion Thread!  (Read 214657 times)  Share 

shezzaloves

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Class of 2017 Discussion Thread!
« Reply #735 on: March 11, 2017, 04:24:27 pm »
Thanks for the tips, and also regarding tutoring is it worth a private tutor over a group tutor for subjects like english, maths etc

I would prefer a private tutor, as its one on one, group tutor is like having a class, but the focus isn't as much on you, its on the other person too
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 09:32:41 am by shezzaloves »

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #736 on: March 13, 2017, 10:28:44 pm »
+4
Thanks for the tips, and also regarding tutoring is it worth a private tutor over a group tutor for subjects like english, maths etc

Honestly, with units 1/2 you don't need to stress too much. Im not saying don't study, ofc you should. But, don't kill yourself with the books, and dont sleep too late. IMO just try and learn the content at a steady pace.
Also dont sleep through your classes, I did that and Im paying the price for it (pretty much only in chem tho).

Just chill, the real shit starts in yr 12 ;D
Future engineer

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #737 on: March 23, 2017, 08:11:12 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

Just a quick question to the class of 2017, how does everyone currently feel about the fact that the year is like 1/3 done already? :o

On a brighter note, we've only got 2/3 of the way until our 3 months holidays :D

deStudent

• Trendsetter
« Reply #738 on: March 23, 2017, 08:22:27 pm »
Hey guys,

Just a quick question to the class of 2017, how does everyone currently feel about the fact that the year is like 1/3 done already? :o

On a brighter note, we've only got 2/3 of the way until our 3 months holidays :D
FeelsGoodMan

Shinkaze

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #739 on: March 23, 2017, 08:23:04 pm »
Hey guys,

Ahhh it feels longer than it should be tbh ... I thought I have 2 days until the holidays and I realised there's still a week ...
But yeah really looking forward to the long holidays because I can relax!

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #740 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
FeelsGoodMan

:D

Ahhh it feels longer than it should be tbh ... I thought I have 2 days until the holidays and I realised there's still a week ...
But yeah really looking forward to the long holidays because I can relax!

I reckon cause I've got so many tests and the occasional sac thrown into the mix that this term has flew by, but I know that term 2 where I am schedule to have a sac each week is going to be hectic. Like yourself, I am also looking forward to the long holiday for so much needed r&r

On another note, my school is going on retreat next term and my share of the cohort is going to 'Casa Pallotti - Retreat Centre' - Millgrove, Victoria.
I was wondering if anyone has been there or know of what the place is like, since there wasn't much that I could gather from their website.

Many thanks in advance :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #741 on: March 23, 2017, 09:08:03 pm »
Hey guys,

So good, can't wait to get a head start on term 2 mixed in with some much needed relaxation.

On another note, my school is going on retreat next term and my share of the cohort is going to 'Casa Pallotti - Retreat Centre' - Millgrove, Victoria.
I was wondering if anyone has been there or know of what the place is like, since there wasn't much that I could gather from their website.

Many thanks in advance :)

What is a retreat? Never heard of one.
UAdel MBBS

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #742 on: March 23, 2017, 09:12:15 pm »
What is a retreat? Never heard of one.

It's basically a camp that is meant to bond the cohort together and literally 'retreat'. Take a step back and just relax for a few days before the chaos of term 2 hits :) Do you have any camps or cohort activities this year?

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #743 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:45 pm »
It's basically a camp that is meant to bond the cohort together and literally 'retreat'. Take a step back and just relax for a few days before the chaos of term 2 hits :) Do you have any camps or cohort activities this year?

Wow that sounds really cool. My school only cares about academics so the last camp or cohort activity we actually did was in year 9 haha.
UAdel MBBS

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #744 on: March 23, 2017, 09:28:19 pm »
Wow that sounds really cool. My school only cares about academics so the last camp or cohort activity we actually did was in year 9 haha.

I guess so, thought the place my section is going to seems pretty remote. I guess that really what makes it 'retreat'  :P
Wow, that's a fair while ago. Maybe your cohort could get together and do something together before you guys part way at the end of year 12?

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #745 on: March 24, 2017, 02:53:25 pm »
I guess so, thought the place my section is going to seems pretty remote. I guess that really what makes it 'retreat'  :P
Wow, that's a fair while ago. Maybe your cohort could get together and do something together before you guys part way at the end of year 12?

Well I guess that's why schoolies exists
UAdel MBBS

mohfame

• Adventurer
« Reply #746 on: March 24, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »

Wow I can understand that the school might want to make sure students perform amazingly,
But bonding with your cohort can really improve confidence and motivation, so maybe you should try something together as a group

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #747 on: March 26, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »
+2
Hey fellow 17'ers,

Congrats on making it through term 1! For me, it's gone extremely quickly. I'm hoping that the rest of the year doesn't move as quick (but sadly, I think the sheer number of SACs will see the year go in the blink of an eye).

I thought this would be a good opportunity for us to talk about what went well this term and what can be improved upon for the rest of the year. I've found that spending, for example, a whole night on a subject, as opposed to cramming in 3 or 4 subjects, has been really helpful for me. I feel as though I actually get somewhere with the subject and develop quality work. In terms of improvement, I probably shouldn't spend as much time writing English essays. Rather, I should spend more time working on Methods, which is my weakest subject.

I look forward to hearing from everyone else!  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

j.wang

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #748 on: March 26, 2017, 07:32:08 pm »
+2
awesome awesome idea clarke :) term 1 reflections haha

i'll split it according to my subjects:

eng- i HAVE to get onto this, I have done nothing but 1 essay this term (before the sac) since my teacher doesn't set any hw...

methods- hmm it's okay, but i think i should remember that quality > quantity aka grinding through heaps of easy q's won't do me any good esp if i'm not struggling!! extended response time

spesh- need to brush over some ch 1 concepts and quickly get up to date with  my class (already on ch 6). So catch up on ch 4-6 woops

chem- start doing resources apart from the textbook at least 2 weeks before the sac, not the night before...

overall- just ASK if you have any q's, stop leaving them until the min before the SAC!!!!!!

what i did well- cramming. but seeing there's like 10 sacs for me next term, i don't think that'll work :P

haha sorry this turned out to be a post that i just want to look back on, so i'm just talking to myself

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #749 on: March 26, 2017, 08:36:26 pm »
+3
Hey fellow 17'ers,

Congrats on making it through term 1! For me, it's gone extremely quickly. I'm hoping that the rest of the year doesn't move as quick (but sadly, I think the sheer number of SACs will see the year go in the blink of an eye).

I thought this would be a good opportunity for us to talk about what went well this term and what can be improved upon for the rest of the year. I've found that spending, for example, a whole night on a subject, as opposed to cramming in 3 or 4 subjects, has been really helpful for me. I feel as though I actually get somewhere with the subject and develop quality work. In terms of improvement, I probably shouldn't spend as much time writing English essays. Rather, I should spend more time working on Methods, which is my weakest subject.

I look forward to hearing from everyone else!  :)

Everything seemed to go well this term for me, although I've only had one SAC so far.

For English I'm really happy I've been able to pump out 10 practice essays for the text response SAC coming up this week although I really need to improve on sticking to the topic. Still a bit nervous for it as well since it matters so much.

For Chemistry I did well in the first SAC and I'm enjoying it a lot so I think it should go well despite being my least priority.

For Latin I'm doing decently in my weekly unseens but I'm pretty stressed about the unseen SAC we have this week. I probably need to do a bit more work for Latin.

For Spesh I'm a fair way ahead of the class and I'm doing every question in the textbook so I should be on track to finish the course in time to pump out plenty of practice exams. Did well in the vectors/complex numbers test as well. Just concerned about understanding some of the more difficult parts of the course such as differential equations, vector calculus and circular functions.

Methods is pretty straight forward but I'll have to wait and see how I go in the functions test we did last week.

So far year 12 has been pretty good but I'm sure Term 2 is going to pick up the pace.
UAdel MBBS