Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:18:07 am

Author Topic: Getting the main points  (Read 463 times)  Share 

ecvkcuf

Getting the main points
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:50:49 pm »
Hey guys

How do you find the main points when writing notes.. I have the Grivas text and there seems to be a lot of irrelevant materials.. like the examples and research studies pretty much take up all the space in the book.. how do I get the main information from what I'm reading.. I tend to get paranoid and therefore write more then I need.

ellaa81

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +24
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Getting the main points
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:20 pm »
+1
Depends from person to person how much information you would like to know, I guess. Personally, I tend to also overdo it and I've found that going through a few summarising steps helps me. I start with highlighting key concepts (this can occasionally be most of the page), then I underline what I think is really really important (reading it for a second time you can kind of start to see what's not that important), then by the third time of reading it and looking at what's both highlighted and underlined I can get a picture of what I need to know and copy it all down in my exercise book. Then I copy it into my summary book after doing a few activities on it so I have a better idea of what's being focused on :)
Extensive I know, but works for me. Hope it helps
2012 ATAR: 96.40 - Psychology [50] Health and Human Development [45] ~ 2013: B.A - University of Melbourne

CONNECT EDUCATION

Tutoring VCE Psychology at State Library/Eastern suburbs :) Please feel free to PM!