Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:27:42 pm

Author Topic: Lote for baccalaureate  (Read 1364 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Lote for baccalaureate
« on: September 14, 2019, 03:49:13 pm »
I want to qualify for the VCE baccalaureate, and at the moment I have all the prerequisites except for a Lote. Next year, in year 12, I am considering picking up Persian 3/4 (my language) and just rocking up to the exam and sleep. The problem is that my dialect is much different to the subject's, in a way where it is more 'fancy'. I also can't write well, but can read it fairly well. The requirements for a baccalaureate is to get a 30 in English, and to complete either methods or spesh, and to have 2 additional subjects. My question is, consider I get an S for all my sacs and just show up to the exams and do very minimal work (not even 'pass'), what would happen?

vehura

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +33
Re: Lote for baccalaureate
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 06:11:17 pm »
+2
The biggest benefit I would see to doing a LOTE is how much it scales up by. The Baccalaureate is only designed to convince more students to do a second language and a maths. As I see it, the Baccalaureate award only gives you a fancy certificate, and as hums said it gives you no added bonus.
I accelerated straight into 1/2 Japanese in year 10 and I ended up having to repeat it because there is so much depth that it is hard to just move straight into VCE.

If you choose to complete 3/4 Persian in year 12, I think it would be in your best interest to work hard at it. Since Persian is your language you will have a predisposition to do well, which will really positively impact your ATAR. Despite how enticing it may seem, I would never suggest picking a subject just to sleep through the exam.  :) Good luck with your decision!
class of 2021
2020: psych (50)
2021: eng (50) lit (47)

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 07:18:19 pm »
sorry I hadn't clarified earlier, I am doing 6 subjects; English, chemistry, further, methods, physics, spesh and want to pick up Persian next year along my 5 other subjects.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 08:56:43 pm »
+3
My question is, consider I get an S for all my sacs and just show up to the exams and do very minimal work (not even 'pass'), what would happen?
As far as my understanding goes, if you get an S for the SACs, you’d effectively pass the units, meaning Persian would count for an SS and thus be used in your ATAR calculations. If you go the way you’re saying in the OP, it’ll be more likely to not count as your 7th subject (assuming you give effort and do better in all your other subjects) however, you’d also have used time and effort to do a subject you’re effectively throwing away. (Reminder: Persian U3/4 has two exams: an oral and written exam, so either way you’ll spend effort - to explain why you weren’t there or talking to the examiners in the oral exam.)

As someone who has been in a similar situation (i.e. I did Chinese U1/2 but couldn’t speak Mandarin that well as I speak a different dialect and ditched it after Unit 2), but got the VCE Baccalaureate certificate (I did Japanese U1-4), I just want to ask: why do you want the VCE Baccalaureate certificate? And, does this reason justify why you should do it?

If you do have a good reason, then, as Vehura has mentioned, try your hardest - no point in wasting an opportunity to do well, even if there’s a slim chance of it counting towards your ATAR, and learn something.

If it’s not a good reason, then that effort can be placed in either your other subjects, or a subject you’re willing to study and enjoy a lot more - even if it’ll be your 7th subject, as hums_student has suggested. The 7th subject could help as back up in case one of your other subjects don’t fare as well as you had hoped, especially if you’re aiming for a high ATAR (which I assume you are, given that you’re aiming for med after Year 12, from memory). 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 12:01:32 am »
As far as my understanding goes, if you get an S for the SACs, you’d effectively pass the units, meaning Persian would count for an SS and thus be used in your ATAR calculations. If you go the way you’re saying in the OP, it’ll be more likely to not count as your 7th subject (assuming you give effort and do better in all your other subjects) however, you’d also have used time and effort to do a subject you’re effectively throwing away. (Reminder: Persian U3/4 has two exams: an oral and written exam, so either way you’ll spend effort - to explain why you weren’t there or talking to the examiners in the oral exam.)

As someone who has been in a similar situation (i.e. I did Chinese U1/2 but couldn’t speak Mandarin that well as I speak a different dialect and ditched it after Unit 2), but got the VCE Baccalaureate certificate (I did Japanese U1-4), I just want to ask: why do you want the VCE Baccalaureate certificate? And, does this reason justify why you should do it?

If you do have a good reason, then, as Vehura has mentioned, try your hardest - no point in wasting an opportunity to do well, even if there’s a slim chance of it counting towards your ATAR, and learn something.

If it’s not a good reason, then that effort can be placed in either your other subjects, or a subject you’re willing to study and enjoy a lot more - even if it’ll be your 7th subject, as hums_student has suggested. The 7th subject could help as back up in case one of your other subjects don’t fare as well as you had hoped, especially if you’re aiming for a high ATAR (which I assume you are, given that you’re aiming for med after Year 12, from memory).

Thank you so much for the advice!! Excellent response. I'd be better off not doing it. The reason I wanted to do it was because I was informed that when universities choose people, they prioritise the people who have a vce baccalaureate over others.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 03:44:16 pm »
+3

Thank you so much for the advice!! Excellent response. I'd be better off not doing it. The reason I wanted to do it was because I was informed that when universities choose people, they prioritise the people who have a vce baccalaureate over others.
Nah, can straight up say that this isn't the truth. As long as you have a VCE certificate of some description they don't care.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 03:50:12 pm »
+3
Re: prioritising VCE Baccalaureate students over normal VCE students by unis

As quoted from VCAA themselves:
Do universities give any priority to students with the VCE-Baccalaureate when selecting students into courses?

Tertiary institutions strongly support initiatives that encourage students to study a higher level mathematics and a language in the final years of schooling.

Tertiary selection practices vary across institutions. Further information should be sought from particular tertiary providers.
In essence, VCAA doesn’t give a straight yes or no to the bolded question, so it’s generally unknown if a VCE Baccalaureate really helps in giving you an offer. However, we know from VTAC that unis generally prioritise via other means (e.g. ATAR, SEAS, and, where applicable, subject bonuses and other criteria, such as other tests, interviews, performance and portfolios), so it’s unlikely that the Baccalaureate plays much of a role, if any, in selection.

As Vehura mentioned, the intent of the Baccalaureate was not necessarily connected to uni offers, but for other purposes.
The Baccalaureate is only designed to convince more students to do a second language and a maths.

Note: Basically what K888 said in a more long-winded way. Leaving this here anyway, since I think the link will be useful.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread