Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 12:22:52 am

Author Topic: 2 Questions on FA1  (Read 2454 times)  Share 

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
2 Questions on FA1
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:10 pm »
Hey guys just 2 questions, Im just wondering what i should include in the answer i got 18/20 for my practice SAC and lost 1 mark out of 4 for each of these 2 questions.

1) Explain the principle of the separation of powers. Explain why it is important. (not sure how i lost 1 mark for this)

2) What is responsible Government? How is it achieved?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:35:53 pm by Ajsguns »

Jezza

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
Re: 2 Questions on FA1
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
Hey guys just 2 questions, Im just wondering what i should include in the answer i got 18/20 for my practice SAC and lost 1 mark out of 4 for each of these 2 questions.

1) Explain the principle of the separation of powers. Explain why it is important. (not sure how i lost 1 mark for this)
Ok for question one you must obviously explain the principle of separation of powers and the importance of it is that not one body gets complete law-making powers as they could abuse there power. Within those separation of powers list the three types which are judicial, legislative and executive. After describe why it isn't a true separation of power. It isn't a true separation of power because legislative and executive powers are combined. Use your notes and textbook to help explain this.

2) What is responsible Government? How is it achieved?
A responsible government is made of ministers who are accountable for their actions. It can be achieved in a number of different way so read your textbook to assist you with is.

Also, if the government loses the support of the lower house it must resign. Hence, government is responsible to parliament and parliament is responsible to the people
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:04:23 am by Jezza »

Iniquity

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:45:23 am »
What did you write for the separation of powers? I remember I lost a mark for it in a weekly practice question because I forgot to mention that there shouldn't be any interference between any of the powers, even though I described the overlap. Make sure you say that the judicial power is entirely separate, too.

For responsible government (along with what Jezza said), you have to say that the ministers are accountable for the actions of their department as well as their own, and any difficulties that arise within those departments are their responsibility. You'd also need to say something about how ministers have to act with propriety and integrity, or resign.

Oh, I almost forgot - ministers are questioned in parliament to ensure that they are running their departments properly.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:47:01 am by Iniquity »

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »
I had my SAC today, There was the exact same question what is responsible government and how is it achieved except instead of being out of 4 marks it was out of 6 :/ very, very confused i thought it would be a max of 2. Not sure how i went i don't think i included enough information to get 6/6, I think I'll get  5/6.
Not happy i think I'll lose a mark but i guess ill take 18+/20

As for separation of powers im very confident i got 4/4 for the question on it in the real Sac which was slightly different. As for what i lost the mark on in the practice Sac it was just a silly mistake.

Yeah i did the SAC on a Saturday :/.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:03:41 pm by Ajsguns »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:15 am »
+1
With SACs, just realise that it isn't the "be-all-and-end-all" if you do "poorly" on one or two SACs. There will be plenty of opportunities to redeem yourself throughout the year. Note that someone ranked below you in SACs can still end up with a higher score than you. You should always try to aim for rank 1; however that's not to say that being rank 1 in your cohort gets you the highest study score. As for what Ajsguns said, 6 marks is quite a lot for a question on responsible government. There is only so much info on responsible government.

paigie123

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:42 pm »
For the separation of powers it's important to include what body each power lies with this may be why you didn't receive full marks on that particular question.

What would need to be included
explain the term
why it's important
say what each seperation is in australia
 what bodies they lie with. (eg Legislative - parliament)
2011: Psychology (32)
aiming 2012: Legal (40)| Further (45)| English (35)| Physics (34)| Japanese (34)
Atar...mid 80's?

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:27 pm »
With SACs, just realise that it isn't the "be-all-and-end-all" if you do "poorly" on one or two SACs. There will be plenty of opportunities to redeem yourself throughout the year. Note that someone ranked below you in SACs can still end up with a higher score than you. You should always try to aim for rank 1; however that's not to say that being rank 1 in your cohort gets you the highest study score. As for what Ajsguns said, 6 marks is quite a lot for a question on responsible government. There is only so much info on responsible government.

I assume it will be 1 mark for the definition and 5 marks for listing each way responsible government is achieved, If thats how its assessed I'll get 5/6 as i included 5 ways its achieved although 1 was a little shaky, if its 2 marks for the definition (doubt it) and 4 marks for how its achieved ill get 6/6. I just don't understand how/why it was worth 6 marks / 20?

Liuy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:58:15 am »
Ministerial accountability, propriety+integrity, Hansard, public viewing and scrutiny of parliament in action and there are a couple more ways for responsible government. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just go into depth for a few and you'll be fine.

As for SACS, I got 184/200 for the entire year but had rank one for my class. Don't worry if you do as well as you hoped for a few sacs, but always aim to be rank 1.
'10: Chinese SLA [38]
'11: Legal Studies [50] | English [44] | Physical Education [41] | Psychology [31] + Methods
ATAR:97.85

'12: Monash University - Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:50 am »
Got 19/20 eh Ill take it i guess 5/6 for Responsible Government as i predicted.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:55 am »
Got 19/20 eh Ill take it i guess 5/6 for Responsible Government as i predicted.

6 marks for responsible government????!!!!! Won't be for more than 2 marks (*maybe* 3 marks) on the exam. Don't be too worried.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!