Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 02:10:42 am

Author Topic: recent changes to the legal system.  (Read 5988 times)  Share 

hard

recent changes to the legal system.
« on: August 29, 2008, 03:58:44 pm »
okay, well there's a dot point on the study guide for legal studies and it says that you should study one recent change to the "legal system" followed by another dot point saying that you should make recommendation for the enhancement of the operation of the legal system. 

however, while we have finished the book as of today, our teacher said we aren't really going to focus too much on those two areas but rather just touch up on them later on. I've looked over past exams and there seems to be a question about recent changes in all exams.  can someone give me an example of a recent change and if whether we should learn it?

the problems in criminal and civil procedures and purpose of possible solution. whats this really mean?

thanks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:01:04 pm by hard »

ElephantStew

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: recent changes to the legal system.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:43:25 pm »
An example of a recent change is the Juries Act 2000. I asked my legal teacher today if this was classified as recent.and he said yes, so im gonna go with that. I think you should learn it because its been on past exams, so yeah better safe than sorry :D

In regards to the problems of criminal and civil procedures and possible solution you could talk about the right to silence and say whilst it protects individuals from incriminating themselves it can hinder a police investigation. A solution to this is the Major Crimes (investigative Powers) Act 2004 which has removed the right to silence for those people being questioned in relation to organized crime . In terms of civil cases you could talk about the cost of legal proceedings. As for a solution to this you could mention that on January 1 2005, the MC's civil jurisdiction was increased from $40,000 to $100,000 to make the court more accessible. Those are the only one's i can think of at the moment
2007:
International Studies (37)

2008:
Eng Lang
Latin
Legal
Methods
Revolutions
Monash Enhancement Study - History

2009:
BA (Bachelor of Awesomeness) @ The University of Melbourne

hard

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 04:47:59 pm »
An example of a recent change is the Juries Act 2000. I asked my legal teacher today if this was classified as recent.and he said yes, so im gonna go with that. I think you should learn it because its been on past exams, so yeah better safe than sorry :D

In regards to the problems of criminal and civil procedures and possible solution you could talk about the right to silence and say whilst it protects individuals from incriminating themselves it can hinder a police investigation. A solution to this is the Major Crimes (investigative Powers) Act 2004 which has removed the right to silence for those people being questioned in relation to organized crime . In terms of civil cases you could talk about the cost of legal proceedings. As for a solution to this you could mention that on January 1 2005, the MC's civil jurisdiction was increased from $40,000 to $100,000 to make the court more accessible. Those are the only one's i can think of at the moment

was all of this in your text book or did you get a leaflet, reasearch...?

ElephantStew

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:56:14 pm »
I got these handouts from my teacher, and some of them are in my textbook. I'm using Legal Studies 2 Study On or something like that...it has a picture of two cops in 'riot' gear (they are wearing motorcross gear) at a detention centre somewhere...hope that helps
2007:
International Studies (37)

2008:
Eng Lang
Latin
Legal
Methods
Revolutions
Monash Enhancement Study - History

2009:
BA (Bachelor of Awesomeness) @ The University of Melbourne

hard

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:29 pm »
I got these handouts from my teacher, and some of them are in my textbook. I'm using Legal Studies 2 Study On or something like that...it has a picture of two cops in 'riot' gear (they are wearing motorcross gear) at a detention centre somewhere...hope that helps

yes it does, thank you very much

koko

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:05 pm »
Oh hey we're on to the problems and solutions too! Glad to know we're on the same page as other schools.. =D

Just wondering though, have you guys learned about the sanctions associated with criminal cases? Cause I've been following Michelle Humphrey's legal notes as a guide and reference, and it seems like we've skipped sanctions? Is my teacher forgetting about it or is it not part of the component no more? o_O

jcc

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:43:32 pm »
A particularly pertinent change could also be the recently introduced County Koori court, it was just recently introduced so there should be plenty of material avaliable on news websites. The Juries Act would probably be getting a bit old (my teacher last year said changes made within the last 5 years would be best). Another possible example that you could be that last year the County Court's jurisdiction was changed so that it now has unlimited civil jurisdiction (previously $200,000) which makes the resolving civil disputes significantly more affordable, and thus accessible.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:45:37 pm by jcc »

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »
the problems in criminal and civil procedures and purpose of possible solution. whats this really mean?

Lol, we just had a SAC on this, and I have already forgotten. :P

I think the major problems are associated with miscommunication with migrants, the delays, and the complexities, especially involving juries, in our legal system. Possible solutions to these could include having split court sessions and night sessions to counteract delays, less 'white collar' crimes and evidence which is more concise to deal with complexities, and providing interpreters and other significant individuals to help court cases run smoothly in relation to migrants.

Meh, I wrote an extended synopsis on these key facts on my SAC... Hope they help you :P