Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:38:59 pm

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1240677 times)  Share 

Calley123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #3480 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:49 am »
This is a very common 2U-type question and you're expected to know how to do it.

Should I be concerned that I didn't get 3200  years for part b) like the answers? Instead I got around 664 years :/
Thanks !

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3481 on: June 11, 2018, 10:59:46 am »
My bad, it should say \(0.25M_0\) because that's the quantity remaining

vikasarkalgud

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3482 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:28 pm »
Hey, I seem to not understand the logic behind going from inverse trig to trig to find these integrals/area. And I don't believe in the test I can just do IBP so how to do using proper logic???

Question:
Have to graphh y = cos^-1(x), then find integral from -1 to 1 of cos^-1(x)

Any help appreciated

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3483 on: June 13, 2018, 03:47:54 pm »
+1
Hey, I seem to not understand the logic behind going from inverse trig to trig to find these integrals/area. And I don't believe in the test I can just do IBP so how to do using proper logic???

Question:
Have to graphh y = cos^-1(x), then find integral from -1 to 1 of cos^-1(x)

Any help appreciated

It's all about using areas bound by the y-axis, not by the x-axis, when it comes to inverse functions.

arii

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2018 Seniors
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3484 on: June 15, 2018, 12:16:55 am »
I'm thinking of doing this question through similar and congruent triangles but I'm not sure how to bring BE into the picture.
2018 HSC | 4U Mathematics | 3U Mathematics | Advanced English | Chemistry | Physics | Legal Studies

Constantly getting my 4U Mathematics life saved on this website.

Ali_Abbas

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3485 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:42 am »
+3
I'm thinking of doing this question through similar and congruent triangles but I'm not sure how to bring BE into the picture.

Firstly, it seems you have assumed things that are not given. For instance, BD is specifically defined as a chord, not a diameter. So we cannot assume any right angles subtended by this line segment. Instead, we utilize the sine rule as follows:

Remark: The result we were asked to prove can be misleadingly suggestive of requiring the use of similar triangles, as equations of this sort are typically what result from equating the ratios of corresponding sides (and that was your initial suspicion as well). However, there is certainly a lack of information to verify that any pair of triangles are proportionate, so an alternative approach was required. By considering which chords occur in the desired equation and the fact that we have two equal angles to work with, we can effectively identify that the sine rule was needed, as well as to which pairs of opposite sides and angles were to be used in its application. This then lead to knowing which angles to label with a pronumeral, and the solution then followed. So the lesson is to think strategically and use what is given as a guide, rather than make assumptions and/or guess a suitable approach.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:44:14 am by Ali_Abbas »

arii

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2018 Seniors
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3486 on: June 15, 2018, 09:51:56 pm »
How would you do this question without calculus? I know how to do it fine with calculus.
2018 HSC | 4U Mathematics | 3U Mathematics | Advanced English | Chemistry | Physics | Legal Studies

Constantly getting my 4U Mathematics life saved on this website.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3487 on: June 15, 2018, 11:30:13 pm »
+1
How would you do this question without calculus? I know how to do it fine with calculus.

Note that if we use a double angle expansion in the denominator, this simplifies to \( \frac{k}{\sin \frac\alpha2} \).

A hint for part b): You know that \( 2\theta + \alpha = \pi\). Think isosceles triangles.

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3488 on: June 16, 2018, 02:19:01 pm »
Hey guys I am doing Q17 of the old fitz projectile question and it is insane.. the working out is also very rigorous so here I go:
Q: A stone is thrown so that it will hit a bird at the top of a pole. However, at the instant the stone is thrown, the bird flies away in a horizontal straight line at a speed of 10m/s. Th stone reaches a heightdouble that of the pole and, in its descent, touches the bird. Find the horizontal component of the velocity of the stone.g=10m/s/s

2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3489 on: June 16, 2018, 03:21:49 pm »
+2
Hey guys I am doing Q17 of the old fitz projectile question and it is insane.. the working out is also very rigorous so here I go:
Q: A stone is thrown so that it will hit a bird at the top of a pole. However, at the instant the stone is thrown, the bird flies away in a horizontal straight line at a speed of 10m/s. Th stone reaches a heightdouble that of the pole and, in its descent, touches the bird. Find the horizontal component of the velocity of the stone.g=10m/s/s

I salvaged a lot of what you did. My method was mostly similar and I got the same answer

I don't think there's any real elegant way of doing this one. But this was my approach.

1. Noting that the maximum height of the stone is \(2h\), we can prove that \(\boxed{ h = \frac{V^2\sin^2\alpha}{40}} \). This gets used a lot.

2. Let \(T\) be the time of impact. The vertical equation of motion for the stone is \(y = V\sin \alpha - 5t^2\), and when \(t = T\), \( y = h\). The quadratic formula proves that \( \boxed{T = \frac{\sqrt2+1}{10\sqrt2}V\sin \alpha} \)

3. Let \(x_1\) be the x-coordinate of the pole and \(x_2\) be the x-coordinate of impact. The Cartesian equation of motion is \( y = -\frac{5x^2}{V^2}\sec^2\alpha + x\tan \alpha\). When \(y = h\), \(x = x_1\) or \(x = x_2\), so upon subbing \(y = h\), the sum and product of roots gives \( x_1 + x_2 = \frac{V^2\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{5} \) and \(x_1x_2 = \frac{V^4\sin^2\alpha\cos^2\alpha}{400}\)

4. Using the identity \( (x_2-x_1)^2 = (x_2+x_1)^2 - 4x_1x_2 \) we can prove that \( \boxed{x_2 - x_1 = \frac{V^2\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{5\sqrt2}} \)

5. I still have not considered the velocity of the bird. Since the bird's velocity is 10, its vertical equation of motion is \(x = 10t + x_1\). We know that when \(t = T\), \(x = x_2\). Subbing this in gives \( \boxed{T = \frac{x_2-x_1}{10}} \)

6. Subbing in everything, we ultimately get \( \boxed{V\cos \alpha = 5(\sqrt2+1)} \)

Edit: So perhaps the only improvement is that I didn't require \(t_1\); I just used \(x_1\). But I still needed \(t_2\); that's a bit inevitable. Details:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:29:33 pm by RuiAce »

martinarena_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3490 on: June 16, 2018, 04:09:52 pm »
Hi,
I was just wondering for part iii) how do you know that theta is zero??
Thank you in advance! :)
2019: Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (USYD)

HSC 2018
Legal Studies / Business Studies / Biology / Maths Ext 1 / Advanced English

HSC 2017 (Accelerated)
Mathematics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3491 on: June 16, 2018, 04:12:12 pm »
+2
Hi,
I was just wondering for part iii) how do you know that theta is zero??
Thank you in advance! :)

Earlier, it states that "at the highest point the ball hits the wall". Therefore the ball hits the wall at an angle of 0.

The ball will rebound at the same angle that it hit the wall with. So this angle is also 0. Edit: Actually, the ball will exhibit what's essentially similar to the law of reflection. But our final angle is still 0, because the angle of incidence was also 0.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:29:41 am by RuiAce »

terassy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3492 on: June 16, 2018, 07:48:04 pm »
I need help with solving this question:

sin^2(5x)-sin^2(3x)=sin(8x)sin(2x)

Thank you for the help!!  :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3493 on: June 16, 2018, 07:57:45 pm »
+2
I need help with solving this question:

sin^2(5x)-sin^2(3x)=sin(8x)sin(2x)

Thank you for the help!!  :)

\[ \text{So every real number is a solution to this equation.} \]

tiffany88

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3494 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:42 pm »
Hello,
Could I get some help with this question:
Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the region enclosed by y=e^(5x)+3, y=0, x=0, x=0.3 about the y-axis.