Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:04:51 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 278005 times)  Share 

MarkThor

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »
Hi Elyse,
Just wondering what your recommendation or view is on preparing one depth study specifically for the extended response, and the other depth study specifically for the shorter answer responses.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 05:05:02 pm »
Hi Elyse,
Just wondering what your recommendation or view is on preparing one depth study specifically for the extended response, and the other depth study specifically for the shorter answer responses.

DO NOT DO THIS!! AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!!
(Now ive got your attention ill turn off caps ;D)
You cannot narrow your study simply because you dont know what the question is. Say you study Paul of Tarsus for Christianity, and you think that will be the essay question only to get in there and it is ethics. Screwed now arent you? Or say you arent very good at bioethics, and you have chosen to specifically study Christianity for essay and the Islam for the short answers. You have essentially studied the following:
Christianity: Paul of Tarsus, bioethics, baptism
Islam: Aisha, enviro ethics, hajj.
Now the questions for the short answer are below
Christianity: 15 marks split on Paul of Tarsus, baptism
Islam: 15 marks split on Aisha, Hajj.
Essay Questions:
Christianity: Quote- how does this influence the lives of adherents in relation to bioethics.
Islam- Quote: how does this influence the lives of adherents in relation to enviro ethics.
You do not have the necessary depth needed for a 6 page essay (what you were planning for a 1- 1 1/2 pg response). So my advice:
Know all your depth studies equally well. You CAN TRY and get away with letting it slip for one (Islam, Sufism is mine) but you cannot narrow your study that much.

Hope ive changed your mind and actually made sense! Pls feel free to ask/clarify anything written above and if i have suddenly chopped off a sentence its coz i was going to go back to it and havent lol ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »
DO NOT DO THIS!! AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!!

Ahaha, the passion is strong!!  ;D

Hi Elyse,

My answer would differ slightly from studybuddy, I went into the exam knowing I'd do Islam for the extended response. My essays were stronger in the area for all 3 of the branches, and so I knew I was writing about Islam before I'd turned the paper over.

I personally think this is okay, with the result being that I studied Christianity just a little bit less than Islam, because I knew I wouldn't need the depth. I was still prepared for any short answer question for Christianity, and any extended response for Islam, which let me focus my study a little. More on evidence/analysis for Islam. More on facts/explanations for Christianity.

My approach makes little difference to the amount you need to know, but it did help keep my study focused, because I knew what I was studying for  ;D

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »
+1
I'd have to agree with Jamon as well here! At my school Christianity is studied for longer in much more depth so a lot of people naturally lean towards doing Christianity for the extended response. I personally will feel way more comfortable going into Trials and HSC with a clear game plan about what I'm going to write on.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 11:46:38 pm »
+1
Hi Elyse,

Basically summarising all of the above points, but in case I add something fresh I'll type it:

If you feel more comfortable with all three strands of a particular religion, then why not make all of your practice essays about that religion so that you get the prep in, and really hone in on those skills for that religion? Sounds like a good idea to me! It only becomes dangerous when you walk into the territory of betting on which strand of the depth study will be asked, and then preparing a response for that. Not cool - you could fall flat on your face! It's better to become extremely well versed in your essay depth study all across the board, than it is to pick one area and fly with it. The same applies for the short answer! Better to know as much as you can widely, rather than only know specific things for one topic.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 07:03:53 am »
+1
Basically summarising all of the above points, but in case I add something fresh I'll type it:

If you feel more comfortable with all three strands of a particular religion, then why not make all of your practice essays about that religion so that you get the prep in, and really hone in on those skills for that religion? Sounds like a good idea to me! It only becomes dangerous when you walk into the territory of betting on which strand of the depth study will be asked, and then preparing a response for that. Not cool - you could fall flat on your face! It's better to become extremely well versed in your essay depth study all across the board, than it is to pick one area and fly with it. The same applies for the short answer! Better to know as much as you can widely, rather than only know specific things for one topic.

This is exactly what I was trying to say in the above post, just dont have the gift of words like elyse :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2016, 09:50:50 am »
This is exactly what I was trying to say in the above post, just dont have the gift of words like elyse :D
Studybuddy, young grass hopper *bows head*

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2016, 05:06:17 pm »
+2
Studybuddy, young grass hopper *bows head*

Young grass hopper? Lol, i would rather be a very hungry caterpillar (favourite childrens book of all time!)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 12:07:44 am »
Young grass hopper? Lol, i would rather be a very hungry caterpillar (favourite childrens book of all time!)

hahaha good call! Grasshoppers don't have that cartoon appeal.

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 09:42:08 pm »
I was wondering how would you structure a 20 mark integrated response?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2016, 11:39:52 pm »
I was wondering how would you structure a 20 mark integrated response?

Hey Mary! There are many, many ways to do this depending on the question being asked, but something I would recommend trying is structuring your paragraphs around the beliefs of the tradition! For example, a paragraph on the Islam belief of Tawhid, which links to the significant person, the practice, and the ethical area, all in one paragraph. It's tough to do, but it puts the emphasis on beliefs (where it should be) and lets you talk about everything together quite nicely!  ;D

Some more detail can be found here!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »
thank you Jamon at my school the 20 mark integrated response is usually on Christianity

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2016, 10:36:04 pm »
thank you Jamon at my school the 20 mark integrated response is usually on Christianity

The way you would approach a 20 marker for a tradition is different to the way you would approach the essay for a significant person. For example, with a tradition, you could break your essay into paragraphs that reflect the different stage son the tradition, or the different beliefs expressed, or break it into significance for the individual and the community. There are a bunch of ways to do it. Then if you look at the significant person, you might be likely to break their contribution into significance to the development of Christianity and their contribution to the expression of Christianity. Or, I studied Paul of Tarsus, and I broke his contributions into his influence as a theologian, and his influence as a missionary. So there's a bunch of different ways to approach that as well!

I suggest always talking about the principal beliefs, always incorporating the stimulus, and always making sure that you are responding to the question directly, and not getting caught up talking about the facts that you've worked hard to remember, but just aren't relevant :(

You'll do awesome!

MarkThor

• Forum Regular
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2016, 11:19:15 am »
+2
Thanks everyone, really helpful! I think I'm going to run with what Jamon said as I feel like I could write stronger essays on the topics of Christianity rather than Islam, and it will let me focus specifically on the type of questions I will be answering when I am studying for each depth study.

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
i was wondering what the guidelines is to ask for SOR 1 integrated response is like how many posts do i have to make to get it marked?