Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:21:05 pm

Author Topic: How to Smash section IV  (Read 4474 times)  Share 

cyntian231

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Smiths Hill High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
How to Smash section IV
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:46:14 pm »
Hey fellow biz students!

Anyone have tips on answering the section IV in the exam in regards to:
---  Structure of essay (use subheadings or not??)
---Integration of case study to text book content
--- Use of multiple case studies and references

Hope this thread is useful for everyone!

xx

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: How to Smash section IV
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »
Hey fellow biz students!

xx

If this is the same as Studies Of Religion II (20 mark, 4-6 page essay with references) section iv structure wise then I would also like to know! If not, ignore this post :p

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:46:05 pm »
+2
Hey fellow biz students!

xx

Hi cynthian!

So regarding section IV of the exam, it's just your typical 20 mark 5-7 page essay (maybe 4 but dependant on writing size) but business oriented. So this means you do not require subheadings above each paragraph (like in the section III report), rather allude to the contents of each paragraph in both your intro and topic sentences e.g. for examine the influences of globalisation on a business you would incorporate outsourcing, global webs, ecommerce in your introduction and use each as a different topic sentence for your (lets just say 3, but 4 works too) paragraphs.

To answer the other part of your question, yes case studies are essential to achieve higher bands (they form part of the marking criteria for section IV). Obviously linking these case studies to the question and each topic sentence is the key to achieving an easy 17-20. To use my boring globalisation influence example once more, Qantas is now able to outsource operations such as customer service and IT to India due to the increased mobility of resources and rise in communications technology.

In regards to multiple case studies - its fairly easy to make ones up on the spot from the background knowledge you have (e.g. apple makes use of relationship marketing through the genius bar) but it's really not necessary to try and saturate your essay in multiple businesses' case studies just for the sake of it - make sure they're always used as evidence for your argument. I would suggest just knowing 1 business really well for all 4 business functions (most people including myself did QANTAS) and having bits and pieces of other businesses that you can slot in where required. Probably no more than 3 case studies, 1 per paragraph will be enough to net you a band 6 response.

Hope this helps, happy to clarify if anything i've said is confusing!
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:51:38 pm »
+1
Hi cynthian!

So regarding section IV of the exam, it's just your typical 20 mark 5-7 page essay (maybe 4 but dependant on writing size) but business oriented. So this means you do not require subheadings above each paragraph (like in the section III report), rather allude to the contents of each paragraph in both your intro and topic sentences e.g. for examine the influences of globalisation on a business you would incorporate outsourcing, global webs, ecommerce in your introduction and use each as a different topic sentence for your (lets just say 3, but 4 works too) paragraphs.

To answer the other part of your question, yes case studies are essential to achieve higher bands (they form part of the marking criteria for section IV). Obviously linking these case studies to the question and each topic sentence is the key to achieving an easy 17-20. To use my boring globalisation influence example once more, Qantas is now able to outsource operations such as customer service and IT to India due to the increased mobility of resources and rise in communications technology.

In regards to multiple case studies - its fairly easy to make ones up on the spot from the background knowledge you have (e.g. apple makes use of relationship marketing through the genius bar) but it's really not necessary to try and saturate your essay in multiple businesses' case studies just for the sake of it - make sure they're always used as evidence for your argument. I would suggest just knowing 1 business really well for all 4 business functions (most people including myself did QANTAS) and having bits and pieces of other businesses that you can slot in where required. Probably no more than 3 case studies, 1 per paragraph will be enough to net you a band 6 response.

Hope this helps, happy to clarify if anything i've said is confusing!

Hey essej, don't want to make this too offtopic seeing as it is in the business studies forum, but i see you also do SOR II. Would you be able to tell me if (structure wise) it is similar to SOR Section IV? If its not feel free to pm me or put in the religion forum.
Please and thank you :D

Klexos

• Forum Regular
  • Exceeding limitations
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:06:12 am »
+3
Random tip: Expose yourself to as many variations of Section IV questions - it helps with making essay writing become second nature.

- No need for subheadings, it is an essay not a business report
- Since Business Studies does not particularly require English Advanced skills, you can easily just place your case study at the end of your paragraph (make sure it is relatable to the context and remember to reiterate your point, the case study is not merely an example but something to enhance your "argument")
- For my Business Studies essays, I used only one case study, Apple. Not only was there a lot of resources and numbers, it was an extremely easy case study because you can easily write about attributes of Apple (specifically Operations and Marketing)
2015 HSC: Business Studies

2016 HSC: English Advanced  l  Mathematics  l Mathematics Extension 1  l  Economics  l  Physics