Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 06:44:47 pm

Author Topic: Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread  (Read 129068 times)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
Re: Thesis statement feedback and discussion thread
« Reply #240 on: September 27, 2017, 07:27:29 am »
Thanks!

Think I'll use the second one, "ultimately" sounds definite/confidence while lowering the modality just a touch from like "Discovery is an analytical or investigative..."

It does, but make sure in the exam, you don't be too broad and answer the question which I'm sure you'll do :)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:01 am »
It does, but make sure in the exam, you don't be too broad and answer the question which I'm sure you'll do :)
does anyone do Curious Incident of the Dog in the night-time for mod b, if yes please give me ideas for a thesis, im struggling
my thesis was so bad for the trials that my essay got such a shit mark:(
ATAR Goal 90

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
does anyone do Curious Incident of the Dog in the night-time for mod b, if yes please give me ideas for a thesis, im struggling
my thesis was so bad for the trials that my essay got such a shit mark:(

This primarily depends on what the question asks you to do.

For my trial I practiced two different papers. The first question asked something about exploring the ideas about difference in the world. The second question asked something about the importance of truth in relationships.

E.g. (Q1) Novelists reveal the truth, adversities and experiences of those considered different in society.
(Q2) Dishonesty creates conflict within relationships because it undermines trust.

I think this should also be in the Standard course thread not AOS.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:00:18 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2017, 02:52:54 pm »

my bad i thought that cos its thesis statement feedback and discussion thread that you could post module thesis thingys here too lol
ATAR Goal 90

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2017, 02:56:21 pm »
my bad i thought that cos its thesis statement feedback and discussion thread that you could post module thesis thingys here too lol

No worries however I did help you out with the thesis' (see above) in case you overlooked it.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »
It's fine to post a Thesis for an Advanced or Standard module here - No stress :)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2017, 03:02:16 pm »
This primarily depends on what the question asks you to do.

For my trial I practiced two different papers. The first question asked something about exploring the ideas about difference in the world. The second question asked something about the importance of truth in relationships.

E.g. (Q1) Novelists reveal the truth, adversities and experiences of those considered different in society.
(Q2) Dishonesty creates conflict within relationships because it undermines trust.

ohhhhh yeah i think im getting the idea as to what i have to do, before i was like where do i even start ahha thanks :)
ATAR Goal 90

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:43 pm »
‘An individual’s discovery shapes the way they understand themselves and the world around them.’ How is this view represented in your prescribed text, and ONE other related text of your own choosing?
At its core, discovery is the transformative journey concerning the acquisition of greater knowledge which shapes a new perspective. Discoveries can affirm or confront, but ultimately, all discoveries are concerned with the individuals’ relationship with one’s self and their role within wider society.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
+1
‘An individual’s discovery shapes the way they understand themselves and the world around them.’ How is this view represented in your prescribed text, and ONE other related text of your own choosing?
At its core, discovery is the transformative journey concerning the acquisition of greater knowledge which shapes a new perspective. Discoveries can affirm or confront, but ultimately, all discoveries are concerned with the individuals’ relationship with one’s self and their role within wider society.

Just some small comments:
- "affirm or confront" what do discoveries affirm or confront? Beliefs? Perspectives? etc
- maybe instead of saying "greater knowledge" you can say different perspectives or something similar because it might not be better knowledge they gain but they can see new perspectives etec
- Instead of "all discoveries are concerned" I think it's recommended to use "discoveries may be concerned" because it's slightly incorrect to say ALL discoveries do something

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2017, 04:02:19 pm »
+1
Just some small comments:
- "affirm or confront" what do discoveries affirm or confront? Beliefs? Perspectives? etc
- maybe instead of saying "greater knowledge" you can say different perspectives or something similar because it might not be better knowledge they gain but they can see new perspectives etec
- Instead of "all discoveries are concerned" I think it's recommended to use "discoveries may be concerned" because it's slightly incorrect to say ALL discoveries do something

Thanks!! I completely agree with your first and last points, but I said 'greater knowledge" because that's what my core and related deal with or at leas what i'm saying happens in them ahah

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »
“Discoveries affirm or challenge society’s assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience.”
How does this quote represent your own understanding of discovery?

Whether a product of new realisations or a reconnection with the old, discoveries are ultimately the results of the intrinsic human need to understand our identity and world.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2017, 07:43:10 pm »
+1
“Discoveries affirm or challenge society’s assumptions and beliefs about aspects of human experience.”
How does this quote represent your own understanding of discovery?

Whether a product of new realisations or a reconnection with the old, discoveries are ultimately the results of the intrinsic human need to understand our identity and world.

Seems good but you haven't addressed the part about affirming or challenging society's assumptions and human experience so probably include a second sentence addressing the question.

From Emily's lecture I recommend the first sentence to answer the question then second sentence to include your own insights.

2016 HSC (Accelerated):

2017 HSC:

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:56 pm »
Seems good but you haven't addressed the part about affirming or challenging society's assumptions and human experience so probably include a second sentence addressing the question.

From Emily's lecture I recommend the first sentence to answer the question then second sentence to include your own insights.

So if I did it a generic statement first and then answered the question in the second sentence it would be considered bad?

How about this:
Developed by a subversion of societal norms, the transformative process of discovery often challenges existing perspectives and stimulates fresh beliefs of human existence. Whether a product of new realisations or a reconnection with the old, they are ultimately the result of the intrinsic human need to understand our identity and world.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2017, 01:22:22 am »
So if I did it a generic statement first and then answered the question in the second sentence it would be considered bad?

How about this:
Developed by a subversion of societal norms, the transformative process of discovery often challenges existing perspectives and stimulates fresh beliefs of human existence. Whether a product of new realisations or a reconnection with the old, they are ultimately the result of the intrinsic human need to understand our identity and world.

It wouldn't be bad but the advice from 1st in the state was the one I said. Also that thesis looks much better!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):

2017 HSC:

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2017, 07:07:02 am »
It wouldn't be bad but the advice from 1st in the state was the one I said. Also that thesis looks much better!

Will keep it in mind thank you!