Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:31:45 pm

Author Topic: Letter grade correlation to study score?  (Read 7700 times)

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
Letter grade correlation to study score?
« on: December 13, 2019, 03:56:17 pm »
Hi,

So this year for HHD, i got a 38 with a A +, A+, A(exam) but i saw another girl who got the exact same scores as me but got a 41. How is this fair like i just hate this scaling system. Like is this got to do with my school being low performing and the sacs being easy, but we pretty actually much got the same scores, so why did vcaa still only give me a 38. Im so confused??

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
Re: Letter grade correlation to study score?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:01:37 pm »
Hi,

So this year for HHD, i got a 38 with a A +, A+, A(exam) but i saw another girl who got the exact same scores as me but got a 41. How is this fair like i just hate this scaling system. Like is this got to do with my school being low performing and the sacs being easy, but we pretty actually much got the same scores, so why did vcaa still only give me a 38. Im so confused??
Do you mean the same sac scores or the same letter grades?
If you mean the same sac scores, they have to be moderated or it would be very very unfair - your teachers could just give you the easiest sacs in the world and make it so everyone got 100% if there wasn't any moderation.
If you mean the same letter grade, each letter grade covers a range of scores and getting the same letter grade does not mean you got the same score & study scores are based on the score not the letter grade associated with it and there is always a range of study scores possible with each combination of letter grades.

This also isn't related to scaling - scaling works to make scores in different subjects comparable, not scores within the same subject.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 04:06:27 pm »
I mean letter grades

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 04:08:58 pm »
I mean letter grades
Getting the same letter grades doesn't really mean much at all in terms of study score. Eg. getting all A+ could get you anything from a 40 to a 50 study score. The letter grades give you an idea of what score you got for that GA but aren't involved in calculation of the study score, exact grades are used for that.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 04:17:00 pm »
Getting the same letter grades doesn't really mean much at all in terms of study score. Eg. getting all A+ could get you anything from a 40 to a 50 study score. The letter grades give you an idea of what score you got for that GA but aren't involved in calculation of the study score, exact grades are used for that.
so do you mean that the actual percentage marks would have affected my study score i still dont get it

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:20:55 pm »
so do you mean that the actual percentage marks would have affected my study score i still dont get it
Yes basically this.
Let's assume the exam A+ cutoff was 80/100

For example let's think about two students got A+ A+ A+ but the two study scores were 40 and 47.
This can occur as the student who got a 40 probably score a "low A+" so the exam score would be something like 81/100 whlst the other student scored a mid-high A+ with something like 92/100 which gave them a much higher study score.

The letter grades actually have no inherent value - your actual scores behind those letter grades are what is important. It is possible for students to have better letter grades than someone else but have a lower study score.