Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:38:45 am

Author Topic: Failing  (Read 1848 times)

sde508

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Failing
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:06:27 pm »
I'm a year 12 student attending the school ranked approx 180 in 2017 HSC. I've been doing pretty good till this year where the results/rankings for all my subjects in year 11 (except English... haha) was in top 10 out of about 400 students in one grade. However, I've recently got my half yearlies back and did so horrible (my marks/ranks dropped from term 4) that I want to drop out of school because I'm stressed so much of how bad I've done.....
1st and 2nd assessment results:
- Biology: 91% (1/194), 94% (7/194)
- Chemistry: 95% (4/97), 90% (rank not out yet)
- Mathematics: 100% (1st/161)
- Maths extension 1: 92% (4/54)
- English Advanced: 93% (35/191)
- Visual Arts: 99% (3/57), 92% (12/57)

As you can see, my marks are dropping and more in my half-yearly results:
- Biology: 78% (rank not told yet but assuming about 30/100)
- Chemistry: 85% (8/97)
- Mathematics: 94% (6/161)
- Maths extension 1: 91% (6/54)
- English Advanced: 88% (40/191)
- Visual Arts: 82% (4/57)

It might not seem bad at all (as what my friends have told me) but I'm just so disappointed and discouraged in gradually getting lower marks compared to my results from year 11 one and assessment results, as I did not achieve any of my goal marks. I'm losing motivation to study... My goal ATAR is 95 and want to do Advanced Science course in UNSW. I just feel like my marks are going to continue to drop and end up getting horrible results in my trials and HSC.... I'm currently having a mental breakdown and really feel like just dropping out. Is there any chance that I'll improve and that I'll even do well in HSC/ trials...?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:25:39 pm by sde508 »

Julmus00

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Re: Failing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:40:36 pm »
+6
DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Yes your results aren't as high as the first assessments but your marks are still heaps good  ;) I think the worst thing you can do is lose hope and motivation at this time of the year - just take the feedback on board from your latest assessments and work on improving in your next tasks and trials - ESPECIALLY since they usually weigh more anyway.

Keep on Keepin' on - a 95 atar is definently achievable for you!

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:45:46 pm »
+3
That’s right! Half yearlies tend to be harder because you’ve got more content to cover. It’s perfectly normal to not do as well as the first few assessment tasks.
Between now and trials is when you improve the most, if you put your mind to it! For example, after half yearlies my English teacher told me “if you work really really hard, you might be able to get a band 6.” I ended up topping my cohort in the hsc.
Don’t lose faith, we all believe in you! There are so many resources for how to improve and study smarter, and don’t forget the forums are here to answer questions and give feedback!
Good luck, and go get that atar! :)
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 04:46:57 pm »
+7
Hey! :)

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with your results and stuff at the moment. The first thing I'll say is that you have every right to be disappointed, or upset, or whatever other emotion you're feeling. Those "you still did so well!" comments usually come from a well-intended place, but like, they're ultimately not really going to make you feel much better if you're genuinely upset about your performance.

But I think some context here is needed, so a few thoughts:

* Lower marks does not necessary indicate inferior performance. This might seem counter-intuitive, but you've got to remember that standards are never consistent from assessment task to assessment task.
* Raw marks are certainly not the be all and end all. All of these raw numbers are sent to the Board, but they're then moderated. This process isn't worth worrying about too much (you can read more here if you desire), but it demonstrates that these raw marks aren't necessarily reflective of your actual level of achievement.
* You can still absolutely improve, and you can definitely still get that 95.00 ATAR goal.

It sucks that you're losing motivation. Do you have the option of taking a few days off? Maybe it'd be best to clear your head a bit in the hope of re-kindling the fire. Honestly, Year 12 can be a grind - definitely feel you there. But if you can get back on the horse, you'll still be in a great position to do well. 👌

P.S. Will just say here that I know it might seem it at the moment, but the ATAR and everything else is ultimately not make-or-break. Either way, you've got this!

EDIT: Beaten by several other posters lol.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.