Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:27:13 pm

Author Topic: A differential equation  (Read 5035 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
A differential equation
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:29 pm »
How do you solve:

where G is a constant

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to flip both sides...

lol thanks :p
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:50:06 pm by /0 »

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
Re: A differential equation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:58:01 pm »
By inspection, try considering logarithm answers. And no, you can't flip both sides, you'd have to use techniques beyond Spesh. In fact, this ODE isn't linear, so you can't use most standard techniques. But it's pretty easy to find one family of solutions (though as to whether they'd work depends on your initial values).
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:55 am »
Hmm yeah somehow I can't seem to get them to work though.

The question came from trying to find how long it would take for two 1kg balls 10m apart to meet.

If we let

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:12:16 am »

The question came from trying to find how long it would take for two 1kg balls 10m apart to meet.

If we let

What subject is this?

I'm guessing this is a question relating to how long it would take under the influence of their gravitation?

All I can think is that if:

(r: 10 -> 0 and t: 0 -> t)

My logic now is that if the system is held by G/10 J, then its Kinetic energy when r = 0 should be G/10 J (since they have no kinetic energy at r = 10)

Now,

therefore,

implying that,

Something tells me that my maths probably isn't right (never had to do a question like this before), its a difficult question since your accelleration is changing (depends on r). Interesting question though!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:45:55 pm by QuantumJG »
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:17:01 am »
Not really anything, I just made up the problem (well physics lol)

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:00:08 pm »
It's great that you're thinking about things on your own, highly encourage it! Anyway, numerically solving if they're 10 cm apart then it takes just over 16 minutes and 1 second. For 1 meter apart around 8.44 hours. For 10 meters apart around 11.13 days. Hope I didn't make any mistakes :)

Where can we find those values? More importantly, how did they determine this?

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 03:13:53 pm »
make a simulation

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 03:36:55 pm »
It's great that you're thinking about things on your own, highly encourage it! Anyway, numerically solving if they're 10 cm apart then it takes just over 16 minutes and 1 second. For 1 meter apart around 8.44 hours. For 10 meters apart around 11.13 days. Hope I didn't make any mistakes :)
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 03:57:27 pm »
LOL sorry I forgot to say what the radiuses of the balls were! I was thinking something like 1cm
(although hmm... I guess you could have point particles after all)
Thanks for trying to work it out Quantum but I don't really understand.. your second order DE seemed to turn into a first order DE

Wow that's interesting, I never thought it would happen so fast. Did you use point particles?
(Oh and what program did you use? :P)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 04:04:10 pm by /0 »

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:12:53 pm »
Firstly, I'd like to correct myself, the values I gave were for 10 kg point particles, just to keep things reasonable. How did I do it? I used mathematica. How could you do it if you only had a hand calculator? I've attached an excel file which shows how one might do something like this. I've used a very simple algorithm which is conceptually easy but not as accurate as something like mathematica would use. Even so, it seems to give the answer for 10 kg point particles separated by 10 cm correct to at least 1 decimal place.  :)

Back in year 12 I made a program which simulates gravity and shows how planets orbit each other (chaotically at times!) which I'm happy to share if anyone is interested.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:12:07 pm »
I remember a similair, but more complicated DE comming from the same situation, except the balls both had a charge q :P
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 10:14:36 pm »
I remember a similair, but more complicated DE comming from the same situation, except the balls both had a charge q :P

Do you remember how it was solved? Or was it solved by numerical methods?

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »
actually, I made it up myself for the sake of revision, althuogh to be honest i had a slightly different situation: ball with mass m, charge q dropped from height h directly above another ball of same charge q fixed to the ground, (this is happening on Planet earth so i used constant acceleration of g). Heuristically one would imagine that initially it falls, then rises once the coloumb force gets big etc. then coloumb force gets weaker and eventually it turns back around. Using conservation of energy(remember; physics revision this was)(assuming no air resistance), you get that the equation for the values of y at which kinetic energy is zero(turning points) is a quadratic, hence two solutions only. Meaning that it is an osscilatary function with some constant amplitude!, however, trigonometric substitution didn't work for the actual differential equation. 
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »
lol nice
Coulomb vs. Gravity is like a really long spring in a changing gravitational field

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:18 pm »

If we let

What subject is this?

I'm guessing this is a question relating to how long it would take under the influence of their gravitation?

All I can think is that if:

(r: 10 -> 0 and t: 0 -> t)

My logic now is that if the system is held by G/10 J, then its Kinetic energy when r = 0 should be G/10 J (since they have no kinetic energy at r = 10)

Now,

therefore,

implying that,

Something tells me that my maths probably isn't right (never had to do a question like this before), its a difficult question since your accelleration is changing (depends on r). Interesting question though!

Before doing this mathematical mess, I should have read what humph said:

In fact, this ODE isn't linear, so you can't use most standard techniques.

i.e. My first year uni maths is pretty useless.

So basically what I did was all wrong.