Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:05:12 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261955 times)  Share 

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2015, 02:37:23 pm »
+1
How can access to medical technology and health care extend life expectancy? Give real examples.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 03:29:24 pm »
+4
How can access to medical technology and health care extend life expectancy? Give real examples.

Some examples:
 - medical imaging technology, such as MRIs, CAT scans, or bowel screening, can help diagnose cancer or other conditions early, so that treatment can begin earlier (before the cancer has got worse), decreasing risk of mortality from cancers etc.
 - immunisation: being immunised against measles/mumps/rubella, hep A, B and C, tetanus, polio etc. means that people won't catch these diseases, decreasing mortality rates.
 - surgery (e.g. heart bypass surgery) and chemotherapy decreases mortality from conditions like cardiovascular disease and cancers.
 - medications such as antibiotics, blood pressure lowering medications etc. reduce mortality from CVD, infections etc.

Obviously, if people don't die of these diseases, they will live longer which extends life expectancy :) .
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

purplegiraffe

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: Catholic College Bendigo
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:24 pm »
Some examples:
 - medical imaging technology, such as MRIs, CAT scans, or bowel screening, can help diagnose cancer or other conditions early, so that treatment can begin earlier (before the cancer has got worse), decreasing risk of mortality from cancers etc.
 - immunisation: being immunised against measles/mumps/rubella, hep A, B and C, tetanus, polio etc. means that people won't catch these diseases, decreasing mortality rates.
 - surgery (e.g. heart bypass surgery) and chemotherapy decreases mortality from conditions like cardiovascular disease and cancers.
 - medications such as antibiotics, blood pressure lowering medications etc. reduce mortality from CVD, infections etc.

Obviously, if people don't die of these diseases, they will live longer which extends life expectancy :) .

Oh thank you so much

scandin9

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 12:26:22 am »
+2
For cancer control as an NHPA; is it necessary to know a health promotion program for each priority cancer?

TrebleClef

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 06:10:08 pm »
+1
For cancer control as an NHPA; is it necessary to know a health promotion program for each priority cancer?
No, you only need to know a program for one priority cancer in detail. The others, it would be good know know a program, but I never needed to use these. My one memorised one was all I needed.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science @UoM

scandin9

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:17 pm »
+2
Is Stop it don't stop it still a valid health promotion program or has it concluded?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 11:00:31 pm »
+4
Is Stop it don't stop it still a valid health promotion program or has it concluded?

Swap It, Don't Stop It has concluded and is out of date, but you can still use it without losing marks.  You could consider learning Shape Up, the new and slightly different equivalent (similar principles though), but you should be fine with the other :).

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Some select entry
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:41 pm »
+3
Hey all. I have two questions...
My school uses the jacaranda textbook for HHD, and I find Health quite enjoyable while studying from it. However, we have also been provided a Cambridge textbook, and from reading the nutrition section...I am really confused why it includes so much about chemistry whilst the Jacaranda book does not.

Anyone have any idea whether the information is necessary, and if it assessable on the exam (skimmed the study design but no idea)?

Also, could anyone help me out with trends, how to identify them..how to word the answer (like integrating statistics from the graph itself)??

Thanks in advance :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:36:48 am by Losingmotivation »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:36 am »
+4
My school uses the jacaranda textbook for HHD, and I find Health quite enjoyable while studying from it. However, we have also been provided a Cambridge textbook, and from reading the nutrition section...I am really confused why it includes so much about chemistry whilst the Jacaranda book does not.

Anyone have any idea whether the information is necessary, and if it assessable on the exam (skimmed the study design but no idea)?

Cambridge goes way overboard in nutrition, you don't need it very in-depth.  For each nutrient, you need 1-2 'functions' as a determinant of health, e.g. monounsaturated fat lowers levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood; sodium regulates blood pressure and volume; vit D aids absorption and use of calcium in growth and maintenance of bones, reducing risk of osteoporosis.  You don't have to understand how or why.

Also, could anyone help me out with trends, how to identify them..how to word the answer (like integrating statistics from the graph itself)??

To discover trends, look for overall movements - do the numbers go up or down over the time?  Do different categories (e.g. males/females, rural/metropolitan, younger/older) have different levels of something overall?

The structure I used:
Structure: [What disease and group you're looking at] [trend/change/difference/increase/decrease] [from... data (year)] [to... data (year)]

Death rates from coronary heart disease for males over 70 have decreased from about 3000 per 100,000 (1979) to 1000 per 100,000 (2010).

and see Re: Trends . . .

scandin9

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »
+1
Can we use shape up Australia as a health promotion program for Cancer control as obesity is a risk factor for colorectal cancer?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »
+1
Can we use shape up Australia as a health promotion program for Cancer control as obesity is a risk factor for colorectal cancer?

I'd say, 'Yes, but...'
If you can't think of anything else, go for it, making sure you directly/clearly draw the link of how it could lower cancer risk (obesity risk factor for CC).  You may get full marks, but risk losing marks as it's not totally relevant.  I'd advise another program (e.g. Sunsmart).

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2015, 11:34:48 pm »
Cambridge goes way overboard in nutrition, you don't need it very in-depth.  For each nutrient, you need 1-2 'functions' as a determinant of health, e.g. monounsaturated fat lowers levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood; sodium regulates blood pressure and volume; vit D aids absorption and use of calcium in growth and maintenance of bones, reducing risk of osteoporosis.  You don't have to understand how or why.

To discover trends, look for overall movements - do the numbers go up or down over the time?  Do different categories (e.g. males/females, rural/metropolitan, younger/older) have different levels of something overall?

The structure I used:
Structure: [What disease and group you're looking at] [trend/change/difference/increase/decrease] [from... data (year)] [to... data (year)]

Death rates from coronary heart disease for males over 70 have decreased from about 3000 per 100,000 (1979) to 1000 per 100,000 (2010).

and see Re: Trends . . .

Thanks a lot  :)

24bauer12

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2015, 02:42:19 pm »
+1
What is a good formula for answering questions relating to health promotion programs?

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2015, 06:51:56 pm »
+1
What is a good formula for answering questions relating to health promotion programs?

Check this one out

Kinda of. I never really started my answers with definitions, but I had specific structures to a lot of my answers. My teacher also was obsessed with making specific structures to your answers so you don't lose any marks in the exam.

We usually made this 'formulas' by first answering a question freestyle. Then, we would compare the answer to a structured answer either my teacher had or an answer in the VCAA assesors reports (although I would reccomend saving vcaa stuff until the end).

And then after comparing answers, we would see what was missing in our answers, and make a formula.

For example, to answer NHPA questions, I had this structure which would get me full marks in the exams:

W - What -> What is the NHPA called (1 pt)
W - Who -> Who is it run by (1 pt)
A - Aim -> What do they aim to do (1 pt)
H - How -> How do they do it (2 pts,)

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2015, 06:56:01 pm »
For the arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions, do I have to know a bit about each type of arthritis? Or can I get away with revising about one specific one?