Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:57:56 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261946 times)  Share 

xeon88

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2015, 05:37:06 pm »
I have a sac coming up, and I was wondering which definition I would use for "biomedical model of health", because the one in my textbook (which is current with the new study design) is different to the one in the new study design for 2014 - 2017.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:38:59 pm by xeon88 »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2015, 05:40:36 pm »
I have a sac coming up, and I was wondering which definition I would use for "biomedical model of health", because the one in my textbook is different to the one in the study design for 2014 - 2017.

Use the one in the study design, the study design is always your first and last port of call!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

xeon88

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2015, 06:45:37 pm »
Sorry, that was for the teacher's version of the study design (I looked at the actual student version of it and there wasn't a glossary of definitions  :o). Yeah, so with that in mind are there no strict definitions that we need to go by? Considering there aren't any in the actual study design for 2014- 2017? Do I just follow my textbook?

E.g. for "biomedical model of health" my textbook says "An approach that treats people once symptoms of ill health are present. It relies heavily on doctors, hospitals, pharmaceuticals and medical technology." Which is quite different to the teacher's version

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2015, 10:33:45 pm »
That glossary is still right though (make sure you know every definition in that glossary by exam time!)  Your textbook definition still may get marks, but you're much safer going with the VCAA glossary definitions.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »
Hey guys, i have a couple of questions

1. Do we have to be specific when stating the 5 food groups from the Australian guide to healthy eating
eg: For the milk yoghurt cheese ... category can we say Dairy Products or the Lean Meats, fish, poultry, eggs....  can i just say Meats and alternatives

2. The healthy living period was updated this year and is therefore different to whats in the textbook (Cambridge) so i'm not sure which one to learn.

3. Also, i don't really understand this dot point from the study design :

Australia’s health system including:
– local, state and federal governments’ responsibilities for health and health funding   

Any help will be appreciated :D

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:27 pm »
Hey guys, i have a couple of questions

1. Do we have to be specific when stating the 5 food groups from the Australian guide to healthy eating
eg: For the milk yoghurt cheese ... category can we say Dairy Products or the Lean Meats, fish, poultry, eggs....  can i just say Meats and alternatives
No, you can't.  Be specific or you risk losing the mark.

2. The healthy living period was updated this year and is therefore different to whats in the textbook (Cambridge) so i'm not sure which one to learn.
The new one would be better, but either would be fine.  But anyway, you're not drawing the thing; essentially, they're the same, and your description wouldn't be very different.  And thanks for alerting me, I didn't know :).

3. Also, i don't really understand this dot point from the study design :

Australia’s health system including:
– local, state and federal governments’ responsibilities for health and health funding   
You'll normally just be asked 'list 2 responsibilities of [level of government] relating to health or health funding', or '2 responsibilities of [level of government] in relation to [a specific condition]'; you've just got to learn maybe 3-4 roles of each level of govt, it doesn't matter whether it's management or funding of healthcare.  It's quite simple :).

Federal
  • management and funding of Medicare, PBS and PHI
  • management and funding of national health promotion programs, e.g. Shape Up
  • management of quarantine
  • purchase of vaccines
  • management and funding of aged care/HACC services

State
  • provision and funding of public hospital services
  • provision (NOT FUNDING, individuals pay) of ambulance services
  • provision of community health services (child, youth, family, school, dental, sexual health)
  • funding health promotion programs through bodies like VicHealth

Local
  • organise local immunisation programs
  • maintain sanitary environment
  • maintain roads and public places to uphold safety and reduce injury
  • recreational and cultural facilities
  • local maternal and child services

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:37 pm »
Hey guys, just wondering, how much do we need to know about nutrition surveys, like do we need to know about any specific surveys?

and, does anybody know what  the 5 food groups are called according to VCAA?

TrebleClef

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2015, 02:04:39 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just wondering, how much do we need to know about nutrition surveys, like do we need to know about any specific surveys?VCAA?

Knowing the main reasons why we would conduct nutrition surverys, and knowing an example of one should suffice. So, things like, understanding the eating habits of inidivuals in a population, or perhaps what factors influence the way they choose their foods to aid in creating better health policies, or better health promotion strategies.

and, does anybody know what  the 5 food groups are called according to VCAA?

Five food groups:
As a genral rule, whatever is in your textbook is what you go by, they cannot mark you wrong, the only problems that may arise is how much of whats in your textbook you choose to write on your exam.
Follow the AGHE pie chart, and it would be best to know the whole description they provide on the sides of the respective sections, for eg. the "Lean meats and pultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes/beans"
For the milk, yoghurt section, I'd probably put an extra "Dairy products:" then go on to list whats in the pie chart.
As always with health, the little details can cost your a lot of marks sometimes, so better safe than sorry.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science @UoM

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
Just a heads-up (only just found it myself, time to research and update all my notes and exams! :() - the WHO agenda areas/priority areas have changed.

So your textbooks/any old notes will have the WRONG information.

You shouldn't be up to this yet, but thought I'd mention it before I forget :)... somehow I annoyingly missed this though it was released in Feb.

avocadochick

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Chairo Christian School
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2015, 04:57:53 pm »
Hi guys,
Was wondering if you could help me with a question:

"What has been the effects of excessive land use and erosion in Burundi on health of individuals and communities? Address the three dimensions of health (physical, social and mental) in your answer."

It relates to the following case study:

Burundi: Environment and biodiversity project: Case study
World Vision along with One Earth has joined forces to fight poverty and climate change. One of the projects they are working on is in Burundi a country in East Africa.
Burundi is one of the poorest and most food insecure countries in the world. The 2007
United Nations Human Development Index Report ranked Burundi 174 out of 182 countries.
In 2007, GDP per capita was US$115 (In 2008 Australia‟s GDP per capita was $51, 000 according to the Australia Bureau of Statistics). Burundi has a population of 7.8 million and has one of the highest population densities in Africa. There is an average of 280 people per square kilometre. Life expectancy at birth is estimated at 50.1 years. The infant mortality rate is 108 deaths per 1,000 live births and malnutrition, especially in children under 5 is notably high. Burundi is a country plagued (weighed down) by high poverty, civil conflict and has very little infrastructure (roads, transport). Excessive (too much) land use and erosion has led to poor quality soils and low outputs from agriculture. This is worsened by changing climate patterns such as late rains, droughts and floods. Seed shortages and plant diseases have had a negative impact on crop and livestock production. The aim of the Burundi Environment and Biodiversity Project is to boost soil fertility and protect the environment in order to improve communities‟ access To food and income. Over three years, the project will target 36, 000 households or 180, 000 people most of who are farmers and many of these women. The selection of project participants will be done through identifying those who are suffering from a reduced availability of land because it has been affected by soil erosion and deforestation. The major activities include the creation of tree nurseries and the planting of trees on agricultural land to support crop growing. Crop outputs are higher on land where trees exist, because when leaves drop from the trees they fix the soil to form a barrier or blanket (like mulch) to avoid soil erosion. So what this means is that the crops underneath are able to survive because they are shaded from the larger trees and the soil is kept damp meaning there is sufficient water for the crops to survive.
Each household is expected to plant around 50 trees and have some plants of Moringa
Olifeira at their plots as Molinga Olifeira is a dietary and medicinal plant material that will improve the health and nutrition of people in Burundi.
The trees can provide the community with fuel for cooking and building, they help prevent soil erosion, and they also provide shade for growing crops like coffee and bananas. A core part of this project is the establishment of Community Based Agro Forestry Learning Centres. Here, farmers and households can learn about techniques such as:
 Collecting rain water from the roofs of houses for household needs
 Using organic compost instead of synthetic fertilisers (those that are chemically
manufactured, not naturally grown)
 Using fuel efficient stoves that use less firewood than traditional cooking methods and
 Placing all livestock (i.e. cows, sheep etc.) on one location and bringing fodder (food) to them, rather than having them roam and graze freely. This will reduce the impact on the environment of having them roam and feed off land.
http://www.worldvision.com.au, 17/03/10

---
Not sure how to link it to mental and social health.
2014: VET subject for Cert III in Christian Ministry and Theology-

2015: English (33), HHD (47), PE (44), Psych (37), Further Maths (35) {raw scores}
ATAR: 91.20

2016: Stairway College and Youth With A Mission

2017: Uni?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2015, 05:17:56 pm »
Hi guys,
Was wondering if you could help me with a question:

"What has been the effects of excessive land use and erosion in Burundi on health of individuals and communities? Address the three dimensions of health (physical, social and mental) in your answer."

Land erosion => fewer crops => food insecurity => stress about how to get enough food to survive (poor mental health).
Food insecurity => malnutrition => weakened immune system => get sick (physical health).
Sick => can't participate in social activities and interact in community (social health) => feel left out, alone and a burden on others; can't work productively and fruitfully and contribute to their community (mental health).

Note I linked to mental health in two ways, you only need one.  Normally if you can't think of social/mental health, try the loophole that always works: poor physical health/sick => can't interact (social) => feel bad (mental).

HHD is about drawing all those [*tenuous*] links/arrows.  As long as you try to stay vaguely in the bounds of reason, once you know how to make up links appropriately, you will kill the subject :D.

avocadochick

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Chairo Christian School
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2015, 07:00:06 pm »

HHD is about drawing all those [*tenuous*] links/arrows.  As long as you try to stay vaguely in the bounds of reason, once you know how to make up links appropriately, you will kill the subject :D.

Thank you, those solutions help heaps! And yeah, I've found that having a bit of creativity is important in HHD!
2014: VET subject for Cert III in Christian Ministry and Theology-

2015: English (33), HHD (47), PE (44), Psych (37), Further Maths (35) {raw scores}
ATAR: 91.20

2016: Stairway College and Youth With A Mission

2017: Uni?

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2015, 07:51:33 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,
So, we just started Unit 4 this week (is this late?) and i feel like we're doing pointless stuff. We spent a whole double 'looking up' the health status (like life expectancy and U5MR etc) of a developing country, and i don't see the point in this as on an exam they'll give us a case study of some sort.
Basically, I'm confused as to what we're learning about and what we should be studying/focusing on.
I don't know if I'm making sense, but any input on Unit 4 will be helpful!!!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2015, 04:49:34 pm »
+1
Hey Guys,
So, we just started Unit 4 this week (is this late?) and i feel like we're doing pointless stuff. We spent a whole double 'looking up' the health status (like life expectancy and U5MR etc) of a developing country, and i don't see the point in this as on an exam they'll give us a case study of some sort.
Basically, I'm confused as to what we're learning about and what we should be studying/focusing on.
I don't know if I'm making sense, but any input on Unit 4 will be helpful!!!

Definitely, for SACs/exam that's totally pointless (though it can be interesting).

Read the key knowledge in the study design - in fact structure all your notes round these key knowledge dot points.  For this SAC (i.e. Unit 4 AOS 1, minus MDGs), learn:
> characteristics of developed/developing countries (just a brief list of maybe 5 characteristics of each, e.g. low child mortality rates, healthy economy and high GDP, established healthcare and education systems).
> mortality strata: what they are, and what level of adult/child mortality applies to each stratum A-E
> how to analyse (not learn) data and compare the HS of different countries
> sustainability: definition, plus the 3 elements of sustainability and how to pick them out in case studies
> human development and HDI definition
> the influence of 7 factors (income, gender equality, peace/political stability, education, healthcare, global marketing and physical environments) on health status, health, human development etc. <---- a big dot point with quite a bit in it.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense!

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2015, 06:19:35 pm »
Definitely, for SACs/exam that's totally pointless (though it can be interesting).

Read the key knowledge in the study design - in fact structure all your notes round these key knowledge dot points.  For this SAC (i.e. Unit 4 AOS 1, minus MDGs), learn:
> characteristics of developed/developing countries (just a brief list of maybe 5 characteristics of each, e.g. low child mortality rates, healthy economy and high GDP, established healthcare and education systems).
> mortality strata: what they are, and what level of adult/child mortality applies to each stratum A-E
> how to analyse (not learn) data and compare the HS of different countries
> sustainability: definition, plus the 3 elements of sustainability and how to pick them out in case studies
> human development and HDI definition
> the influence of 7 factors (income, gender equality, peace/political stability, education, healthcare, global marketing and physical environments) on health status, health, human development etc. <---- a big dot point with quite a bit in it.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense!

So if we're given a table comparing the health status of a developing country in comparison to a developed country. Do we literally just say something like ' The life expectancy of India is much lower than Australia with only 50years in comparison to Australia's of 80 years ' or do we have to give reasons as to why this is?  ( It reminds me of comparing the different groups in unit 3, so i thought it would be more in depth here )

Thanks so much for your help. I hope you understand what i mean :D