Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:32:18 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261937 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:40 pm »
+2
I am not exactly sure what to do when questions ask for a comparison between Australia and a developing country in relation to the 7 factors.
Eg:
- How does global marketing affect the health status of Australia and developing countries?
 and
- How does peace/political stability affect the health status of Australia and developing countries?

( i find these two the hardest to grasp - with global marketing in the developing world, i find it hard to understand that they can't afford basic nutritional needs and clean water, but they market tobacco and fast food in some countries? )

Hope i made sense :D
Ugh. Global marketing.
Okay, yes they do market tobacco/fast food/alcohol in developing countries.  Think about tobacco or alcohol; if you get addicted, you'll probably buy it even if you can't afford it, right?  So, people DO buy these things (I've been in India, and more people smoke than in Aus., even though they honestly can't afford decent food).  But in Australia, if people buy cigarettes, they can generally still afford clean water, healthcare, education, and enough food, to whatever extent, so there's less of an impact.  But if people buy them in developing countries, then they're even less able to afford all the necessities so global marketing has a BIG impact.

But there are other reasons why it has a bigger impact in developing countries:
> they don't have as much health promotion so they might not get how dangerous it actually is
> they don't have the same rules, e.g. what filters cigarettes need, or no sale to under-18s
> they can't afford the healthcare to treat the resultant diseases (CVD, diabetes, liver and lung cancer etc.)
> they then have a double burden of disease, because they have heaps of communicable diseases, but this adds NCDs on top of that so it's twice as bad (in Aus we have very few CDs)

Peace: actually read the last two pages of the thread (like from here onwards), we've discussed it quite a bit.  If you don't get it then, ask again :)

Also, up until know, when a question asks about health we relate it to the Physical, Mental and Social. Is this the same in unit 4 if a question asks about health??
Yes - unless it says either 'health status' or 'global health'.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

jessdoc

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Saint Ignatius College, Geelong
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2015, 06:19:11 pm »
If someone could help me out that'd be great!!!
Our teacher has told us that for a SAC question we will have to link one of the elements of sustainability (appropriate, affordable, equity)   to an indicator of human development index (life expectancy at birth, mean years of schooling, expected years of schooling, gross national income per capita) :-\
We have never done anything like this before, can someone please help me work this out, I do not see how to link these at all! The teachers want to separate top students supposedly...

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2015, 08:14:08 pm »
+1
So with political stability, is it basically without a stable government it leads to conflict/war ( lack of peace ) and the effects on health status are the same as lack of peace??

Does the make sense?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2015, 08:31:35 pm »
+2
So with political stability, is it basically without a stable government it leads to conflict/war ( lack of peace ) and the effects on health status are the same as lack of peace??

Does the make sense?
Yes, political instability leads to conflict and political stability leads to peace.

Remember the positives too though, a stable government provides a strong foundation for good healthcare/education/social security/financial systems and economic growth etc., and democracy (people able to participate in the community and decisions affecting their lives, HD).

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2015, 09:40:32 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for your help on here Bangali_Lok. Appreciate it :D

xeon88

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2015, 03:35:47 pm »
+1
Regarding MDGs, how much would you write for a 'describe the purpose of this goal?' question.
E.g. for MDG 2: Achieve universal primary education, would this answer suffice?
'To achieve universal primary education is to provide all boys and girls in developing countries with access to primary schooling to improve literacy and numeracy skills.'

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
+1
Regarding MDGs, how much would you write for a 'describe the purpose of this goal?' question.
E.g. for MDG 2: Achieve universal primary education, would this answer suffice?
'To achieve universal primary education is to provide all boys and girls in developing countries with access to primary schooling to improve literacy and numeracy skills.'
Yes, that'd be perfect :)
Just remember with ones like 1, 5, 6, 7 and 8, there are multiple purposes, and people lose marks if they just say (for MDG 5) 'to reduce the death of women related to pregnancy and childbirth' or whatever it is, because there was something about access to reproductive health services that you needed too.

For 7 and 8 I'd judge how many of the purposes you'd write based on the number of marks, one per mark, since there are at least 5 for each (?)

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2015, 07:15:57 pm »
+1
Hey guys, my sac is tomorrow, and i'm not 100% sure on what to say in relation to income as a factor on health status in developing countries. Is it more so the income of the country, or the income of the individuals, or both?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:20:50 pm by girl1234 »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06:17 pm »
+1
Hey guys, my sac is tomorrow, and i'm not 100% sure on what to say in relation to income as a factor on health status in developing countries. Is it more so the income of the country, or the income of the individuals, or both?
Either or both, totally up to you.  Justify and explain thoroughly, and whichever it is, you'll get full marks.
All the best with your SAC :D

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2015, 09:18:40 pm »
+1
one last question!!

How can the physical environment, in particular housing and climate contribute to the poor health status in developing countries??

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2015, 09:23:28 pm »
+2
one last question!!

How can the physical environment, in particular housing and climate contribute to the poor health status in developing countries??
Remember safe water/sanitation, they're the biggest imo.
Poor housing/overcrowding = spread of infectious disease, limited ability to be hygienic, often linked to poor sanitation too (thus diseases like cholera).
Climate: stuff like drought, flood etc. destroy crops (==> food insecurity, poverty) and infrastructure (==> less access to healthcare and education and safe water and sanitation etc.), plus floods contaminate water sources and are breeding grounds for mosquitoes/malaria and disease in general. 
And anyway, in developed countries we have the resources to cope if there's a disaster of any sort; we can grow back and rebuild and we're fine.  But developing countries can't, a disaster hits REALLY hard.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »
+4
In other news, I'm sure none of you '15ers actually care, but next year it looks like the MDGs will change to SDGs! (Sustainable Development Goals)

You think 8 goals was hard?  There are 17 proposed goals.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2015, 12:27:52 am »
Mmm interesting! Hope they don't put 17 SDG's into the study design for next years students, that'd be draining to learn!
The HHD study design seems to need updating so often!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
+1
Mmm interesting! Hope they don't put 17 SDG's into the study design for next years students, that'd be draining to learn!
The HHD study design seems to need updating so often!

No way they'll make people learn all 17, especially since there are then heaps and heaps and heaps of targets for each goal!  I'm looking out for the next VCAA bulletin :)
That's actually why I love it though, it shows it's reflecting the real world and what's actually going on, so it's so relevant. :)

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2015, 05:29:09 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what are you studying this year bangali? (i assume you are studying :D )

Also, what role does my cohort play in affecting my study score. What makes a weak cohort?