Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:45:04 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261937 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2015, 05:57:55 pm »
+3
Just a post of appreciation for bangali_lok's excellent work throughout this thread. Huge respect.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »
+1
(i assume you are studying :D )
Bad assumption, I prefer to sleep ;D
Nah, I'm doing an aged care course (TAFE) - theoretically a gap year, got a physio offer but we'll see what I do.

Also, what role does my cohort play in affecting my study score. What makes a weak cohort?
A weak cohort is one that'll score pretty badly on the exam.  If you're very highly ranked in your cohort, it won't matter that much; but if you're middle of the cohort in a weak cohort, your SAC marks will scale down (because they're linked to exam marks), though your exam mark will be the mark you get in the exam.

Just a post of appreciation for bangali_lok's excellent work throughout this thread. Huge respect.
Aww, thanks.  HHD is such a break from all the other stuff I'm doing :)
Hope your overseas study is going well :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2015, 09:13:33 pm »
Bad assumption, I prefer to sleep ;D
Nah, I'm doing an aged care course (TAFE) - theoretically a gap year, got a physio offer but we'll see what I do.
A weak cohort is one that'll score pretty badly on the exam.  If you're very highly ranked in your cohort, it won't matter that much; but if you're middle of the cohort in a weak cohort, your SAC marks will scale down (because they're linked to exam marks), though your exam mark will be the mark you get in the exam.

Ah yeah thats cool! :)

I hope to be ranked in the top 2 so that should be fine. My cohort is really inconsistent so hopefully i'm not effected :D

And yes, we all appreciate you on this thread! Thanks heaps!

sunshine98

« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »
For the MDGs my teacher said that we need to be able assess  progress towards the goals, but she didn't say anything else. Does this relate to interpreting data, which shows the progression towards achieving the goal?
Thank you  :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2015, 06:17:21 pm »
+1
For the MDGs my teacher said that we need to be able assess  progress towards the goals, but she didn't say anything else. Does this relate to interpreting data, which shows the progression towards achieving the goal?
Thank you  :)
Yeah, it's just interpreting data (don't need to learn anything).

You basically say 'The rate of W in country X [or 'developing countries', or whatever] has increased from Y in 1990 to Z in 2012, and thus country X is likely to reach the target by 2015'.

That sort of thing, you just describe the changes like a normal trends question and then relate that to the goal and whether their progress is significant (and likely to meet the goal) or not.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:53 pm »
For the reasons why each MDG is important, should we relate it to health status or human development or just use common sense?

Would this be okay for goal 1: 'By eradicating extreme poverty and hunger, people will have improved access to healthcare, food and safe water as they can afford it, hence improving mortality and morbidity rates' ?

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2015, 08:47:35 pm »
hi there,

if we had a question like this (from my textbook):

explain the role of education in promoting health and human development and in ensuring sustainability

for the human development link, can we just throw in random phrases from the definition?

I started answering this question but it was long-winded and didn't make much sense but these were the key points:
- education --> literate --> stable job and income --> contribute to economy etc (economic sustainability) --> full potential, access to a decent standard of living, don't need to exploit natural environment (environmental sustainability) --> can afford health-promoting resources eg. nutritious food, health care (social sustainability) --> not sick so capabilities are enhanced

as you can see it's a bit messy. This is the first question of this type that I have attempted so I'm unsure of what to do tbh.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »

this ^^^^^^^^^

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2015, 08:41:27 am »
+2
For the reasons why each MDG is important, should we relate it to health status or human development or just use common sense?

Would this be okay for goal 1: 'By eradicating extreme poverty and hunger, people will have improved access to healthcare, food and safe water as they can afford it, hence improving mortality and morbidity rates' ?
Health status, human development and/or common sense is fine :)  That answer is great, but if it were a 2+ mark question I'd probably add another sentence, e.g. impact on human development or deeper explanation of this, just to be safe.
Side note, if this was an impact on health status question, I'd probably explain a bit more how it improves mortality and morbidity rates.  Don't just state 'safe water improves morbidity rates', explain how, or specifically what diseases.

explain the role of education in promoting health and human development and in ensuring sustainability

for the human development link, can we just throw in random phrases from the definition?

I started answering this question but it was long-winded and didn't make much sense but these were the key points:
- education --> literate --> stable job and income --> contribute to economy etc (economic sustainability) --> full potential, access to a decent standard of living, don't need to exploit natural environment (environmental sustainability) --> can afford health-promoting resources eg. nutritious food, health care (social sustainability) --> not sick so capabilities are enhanced

as you can see it's a bit messy. This is the first question of this type that I have attempted so I'm unsure of what to do tbh.
That looks perfectly fine, well done :D  Long-winded isn't necessarily bad, as long as you're constantly answering the question directly and not waffling irrelevantly.  Minor comments:
- remember to link to health (PMS) since the question asks for that
- 'not sick so capabilities enhanced' - explain how (though as you've already answered the question adequately, that's no problem; just a reminder to explain your links thoroughly)

this ^^^^^^^^^
Enough flattery guys. :P

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2015, 03:06:36 pm »

That looks perfectly fine, well done :D  Long-winded isn't necessarily bad, as long as you're constantly answering the question directly and not waffling irrelevantly.  Minor comments:
- remember to link to health (PMS) since the question asks for that
- 'not sick so capabilities enhanced' - explain how (though as you've already answered the question adequately, that's no problem; just a reminder to explain your links thoroughly)

thank you!
obviously by regular standards (well, my teacher's anyway) what I showed you isn't a good answer because I didn't use full sentences etc, but if I ran out of time on the exam would I be able to get away with this and still get the marks for the question?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2015, 03:16:28 pm »
thank you!
obviously by regular standards (well, my teacher's anyway) what I showed you isn't a good answer because I didn't use full sentences etc, but if I ran out of time on the exam would I be able to get away with this and still get the marks for the question?
Ah okay, I was assuming that was just a dot-point skeleton answer, which you'd flesh out and write properly in a real situation (when you do prac questions, don't bother writing out full answers as it wastes time).  In the exam, only do this when you run out of time - but I guarantee this would be better than nothing.  Solution, just don't run out of time :P

(seriously, write your hand off in the exam, don't risk running out of time because you were writing slowly)

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2015, 05:20:29 pm »
Ah okay, I was assuming that was just a dot-point skeleton answer, which you'd flesh out and write properly in a real situation (when you do prac questions, don't bother writing out full answers as it wastes time).  In the exam, only do this when you run out of time - but I guarantee this would be better than nothing.  Solution, just don't run out of time :P

(seriously, write your hand off in the exam, don't risk running out of time because you were writing slowly)

yeah I normally write answers properly for my homework but I'm realising that its really tedious :S

thanks for your help!
and sorry to be a pain but is it ok if you have a look at the essay paragraph I PM'ed you? Only if you have time of course, otherwise no stress!

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2015, 11:06:00 pm »
i have a couple of questions with MDG's

1. For the reasons why goal 3 is important. Can i just say when women have equal access to education they are literate > employable > higher income > afford food/water/healthcare > reduced infections/malnutrition > therefore better health status  (i kinda feel like i say the same thing for Goal 1 and 2 aswell, is that okay?) 
or is it better to say something that relates only to this goal?

2. For the targets should we learn the amount they aim to reduce by. e.g.. 'Reduce by 3/4 the maternal mortality rate'

3. Is the importance of goal 6 basically reducing these diseases through education and behavioural changes will improve BOD?

4. I don't really understand goal 7 at all :( ... (  i get the drinking water and sanitation bit, but i don't think thats enough )

THANK YOU!!!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2015, 11:15:25 am »
+1
i have a couple of questions with MDG's

1. For the reasons why goal 3 is important. Can i just say when women have equal access to education they are literate > employable > higher income > afford food/water/healthcare > reduced infections/malnutrition > therefore better health status  (i kinda feel like i say the same thing for Goal 1 and 2 aswell, is that okay?) 
or is it better to say something that relates only to this goal?
As long as it directly relates to the goal, that's fine - that's one of the strengths of the MDGs, that they're so interlinked; when you improve one, you're helping improve the others too. (A really great answer, too, btw).

2. For the targets should we learn the amount they aim to reduce by. e.g.. 'Reduce by 3/4 the maternal mortality rate'
I didn't in that case, and just said 'reduce number of deaths of women due to pregnancy and childbirth and increase access to reproductive health services'; but as long as you've got the number right, it'd probably be good to know. 'Purpose' doesn't 100% equal targets, it's kinda flexible.

3. Is the importance of goal 6 basically reducing these diseases through education and behavioural changes will improve BOD?
Yes, but here are a couple of examples to warn you to be careful:

2013 exam
Outline two reasons why Isabel Province is committing resources to the elimination of malaria. (2)
This is a cloaked 'reasons why important' Q.
- reduce BOD, improve health and health status
- reduce poverty - people will be able to work, earn income, access safe water, sanitation, healthcare, food etc.
- increased wealth of the province as people can work and contribute to economic ouptut
- fewer children left orphans - can go to school, be educated, earn income etc.

Just 4% of people got 2 marks for this.

So they tried again in the 2014 exam.
Outline two reasons why the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) would support the implementation of an HIV/AIDS program in a developing country to reduce the burden of disease. (2)
Again, cloaked question.  Because BOD is in the question, you can't mention it, so you must have two other reasons.  Possible answers:
- people sick with HIV/AIDS can't work --> less revenue in country --> less healthcare, education, welfare, infrastructure
- parents die of HIV/AIDS --> kids orphans --> can't have nutrition/immunisation; can't go to school --> poor income --> cycle of poverty

Again, just 4% full-marked it. It's successfully answering questions like this that set apart the 48+ers.

I GUARANTEE you'll get a question something along these lines in the exam, because they retest failure areas.

4. I don't really understand goal 7 at all :( ... (  i get the drinking water and sanitation bit, but i don't think thats enough )
Yeah, it can be confusing; I tended to remember 4 things:
- safe water/sanitation as you said
- reduce loss of environmental resources (so stuff like trees, water, good soil, fish, etc. - if we get rid of these now, in the future there'll be poverty because people will have food insecurity and malnutrition etc.)
- reduce biodiversity loss (save all the endangered species and the trees we're killing off, etc. - this one's hard to link to H&HD)
- improve lives of slum dwellers (so they can access a basic decent standard of living, have some shelter and sanitation facilities and decent food and water etc.)

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2015, 07:30:11 pm »
Thanks so much for that! really helped, especially with Goal 6 and 7 :D