Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:01:58 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261952 times)  Share 

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2015, 07:16:38 pm »
Hey guys, just wanting some advice on hhd lectures. Had anyone been to any yet or went last year and can give any advice. At the moment, I'm thinking of doing the TSFX one and the Andrew Beaumont one? Bangali_lok, can you recommend any???

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2015, 08:45:30 pm »
Hey again,
I'm having trouble with how the different types of aid are used to achieve global health and sustainable human development

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2015, 07:21:28 am »
Hey guys, just wanting some advice on hhd lectures. Had anyone been to any yet or went last year and can give any advice. At the moment, I'm thinking of doing the TSFX one and the Andrew Beaumont one? Bangali_lok, can you recommend any???
Nope, I can't, as I never went to any, sorry.  All I know is that everyone's dead against TSFX in general, idk if it's well founded but I'm just innately against supporting that company, and I've heard good things about Andrew Beaumont.  Hoping someone else can help! :)

Hey again,
I'm having trouble with how the different types of aid are used to achieve global health and sustainable human development
In my last post I explained it for emergency aid; for the others, obviously their impact is going to differ depending on what they're doing, as an NGO or bilateral aid can do basically anything.  For instance, if it's purely food handouts with nothing else, it won't contribute that much to SHD, whereas if it's teaching about soil and water conservation techniques and increasing food output etc. + seeds are given and it targets women and gets the community involved, and so on, it'll contribute more.

So, be ready to analyse contribution for any example/case study they give you; otherwise, it's good to know the general strengths and weaknesses of the groups, for instance:
- multilateral aid is such a big-scale approach that it can fail to look at each community's needs and be quite inappropriate to them - a lot can be wasted or ineffective
- on the other hand, being big, it's often well-administered and can knock huge issues really hard on the head
- it can also deal with international issues (e.g. war, controlling international disease outbreak)

Try this with the others :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Smiley_

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +147
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2015, 10:39:27 am »

Hi :)
I would recommend the SWOT VCE Revision Week run by Melbourne uni.
It has previous health students running it for a very minimal cost.

http://muhi.org.au/programs/swot/swot-vce-revision-week/

(Registrations should be open soon)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:38 pm »
In regard to revision lectures, I (and everybody else I know who attended) found Andrew Beaumont's extremely beneficial. I definitely recommend it.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »

I went to Andrew Beaumont for Unit 3 revision

Not the best tbh, it's almost like he's reciting the Jacaranda text book (he wrote it lol)

EDIT: I meant Unit 4 head start :s
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:26:12 pm by tashhhaaa »

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2015, 05:45:59 pm »
In regard to revision lectures, I (and everybody else I know who attended) found Andrew Beaumont's extremely beneficial. I definitely recommend it.

oh lol maybe i'm the only one that hated it

sunshine98

« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2015, 10:19:14 am »
For this dot point
• the priorities of the Australian Government's aid initiatives and the role it plays in developing programs to promote global health and sustainable human development
What exactly do I need to know about the 6 priorities ?  And what kind of  q would come up , is it like case studies where you have to find the priority and explain them ?
Thanks  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2015, 10:46:26 am »
oh lol maybe i'm the only one that hated it

Each to their own! :) I went three years (!) ago, so you would have a more recent perspective.

How long did the Unit 3 revision lecture go for?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:02 am »
+6
Guys just had this idea.  I could do a really small interactive homey group HHD revision class sometime during the holidays for any of you that wanted to come.

If it went ahead, anyone interested would help me sort out the focus, but I imagine it would cover stuff like
- answering questions appropriately
- developing 'invention' skills
- how to study for the exam
- in general what content you need to know and the sort of questions they ask (but not going through it in depth except problem areas anyone wants me to, that's what you have textbooks for and what my notes would include)
- powering up and getting excited for the subject!! :D

Re length, location, date - tba based on interest (if any) - length totally anything from like 2-8 hrs over 1-2 days, I'm free most Mon-Wed (esp in the mornings), and location I have absolutely no clue.  Price - like if it were 4 hrs and 4 people came, I'd be looking at ~$25 each (gotta show mum that I'm 'earning' something :p).

As you can tell, the idea is barely formed, but I'm super keen to give something interactive and targeted at your personal issues and exam prep, rather than just dry content revision which you could do at home.  There's only so much you can do with written words, and I'd love to help y'all out.

If you're at all interested or have any ideas, please PM me or post in this thread (as I probably shouldn't be advertising in a Qs thread, but hopefully all my 'helpful' answers permit one post).  If there's interest, I'll create and post more specific details in that thread.

For this dot point
• the priorities of the Australian Government's aid initiatives and the role it plays in developing programs to promote global health and sustainable human development
What exactly do I need to know about the 6 priorities ?  And what kind of  q would come up , is it like case studies where you have to find the priority and explain them ?
Thanks  :)
The sorts of questions you could be asked:
- identify in case studies (thus you must know the names, and be able to pick out how specific examples show that priority)
- 'explain' a priority - this is quite vague, basically say what they're about + probably a couple of examples of how DFAT aid targets that priority
- how they impact on SHD and GH and anything/everything else (easy for most, like health, education etc., but remember to think about the impacts of effective governance and economic growth)

Pretty much, know:
- names
- general summary/examples
- impact on SHD/GH

I'd also know a full program or two that DFAT has run in developing countries - this can overlap with the last dot-point, for instance, learn a DFAT-run program that improves literacy rates.

VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2015, 11:02:59 am »
^If I were available, I'd pay the very minimal $25 just for the experience! Great initiative.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2015, 05:23:58 pm »
Yeah i think i would go if it wasn't too far away :-)

sunshine98

« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2015, 06:10:19 pm »
A really simple question but just clarifying :
If q gives data and asks you to identify the country that has made most progress towards achieving MDGs and say it was MDG 4 (reduce child mortality) - do you go for the country that is closest to the target , but decreased by a bit ? Or the one that has decreased the most , yet is still far from the target?

Thank youuuu :)

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2015, 06:36:01 pm »
The sorts of questions you could be asked:
- identify in case studies (thus you must know the names, and be able to pick out how specific examples show that priority)
- 'explain' a priority - this is quite vague, basically say what they're about + probably a couple of examples of how DFAT aid targets that priority
- how they impact on SHD and GH and anything/everything else (easy for most, like health, education etc., but remember to think about the impacts of effective governance and economic growth)

Pretty much, know:
- names
- general summary/examples
- impact on SHD/GH

I'd also know a full program or two that DFAT has run in developing countries - this can overlap with the last dot-point, for instance, learn a DFAT-run program that improves literacy rates.

This may seem really silly, but i'm confused on what DFAT is and what it does....? Do we need to know examples of what it does/has done?

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2015, 11:22:56 pm »
Each to their own! :) I went three years (!) ago, so you would have a more recent perspective.

How long did the Unit 3 revision lecture go for?

Omg sorry how did I make that mistake (considering I went to no U3 revision lectures...), I meant Unit 4 head start... *facepalm x10*
It was 3 hours if I recall correctly, but the notes were pretty good (using them at this very moment)

Guys just had this idea.  I could do a really small interactive homey group HHD revision class sometime during the holidays for any of you that wanted to come.

If it went ahead, anyone interested would help me sort out the focus, but I imagine it would cover stuff like
- answering questions appropriately
- developing 'invention' skills
- how to study for the exam
- in general what content you need to know and the sort of questions they ask (but not going through it in depth except problem areas anyone wants me to, that's what you have textbooks for and what my notes would include)
- powering up and getting excited for the subject!! :D

Re length, location, date - tba based on interest (if any) - length totally anything from like 2-8 hrs over 1-2 days, I'm free most Mon-Wed (esp in the mornings), and location I have absolutely no clue.  Price - like if it were 4 hrs and 4 people came, I'd be looking at ~$25 each (gotta show mum that I'm 'earning' something :p).

As you can tell, the idea is barely formed, but I'm super keen to give something interactive and targeted at your personal issues and exam prep, rather than just dry content revision which you could do at home.  There's only so much you can do with written words, and I'd love to help y'all out.

If you're at all interested or have any ideas, please PM me or post in this thread (as I probably shouldn't be advertising in a Qs thread, but hopefully all my 'helpful' answers permit one post).  If there's interest, I'll create and post more specific details in that thread.

um, YES. Please do this