Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:19:20 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261952 times)  Share 

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2015, 11:29:53 pm »
This may seem really silly, but i'm confused on what DFAT is and what it does....? Do we need to know examples of what it does/has done?

not sure if I'm correct but DFAT is in charge of Australian Aid, so when asked about DFAT just talk about that

eg. the 6 priorities of Australian Aid:
- Economic development including encouraging trade and the development of the private sector
- Health and supporting the fight against HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Education
- Empowering women and girls
- Effective governance
- Humanitarian aid

Tbh I don't even know if Australian Aid is a thing my teacher always calls it that, seems that everyone is calling it DFAT...

jihan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Al-taqwa college
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »
Me too :)
Soooooo nervous for the exam what should i do :/

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2015, 09:16:35 pm »
+3
not sure if I'm correct but DFAT is in charge of Australian Aid, so when asked about DFAT just talk about that

eg. the 6 priorities of Australian Aid:
- Economic development including encouraging trade and the development of the private sector
- Health and supporting the fight against HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Education
- Empowering women and girls
- Effective governance
- Humanitarian aid

Tbh I don't even know if Australian Aid is a thing my teacher always calls it that, seems that everyone is calling it DFAT...

My understanding is that DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trading) is the governmental branch that is responsible for Australia's international aid. I agree that when a question asks about DFAT, those are the things to discuss.

The study design was relatively recently changed, which may have caused some confusion. We used to have an agency called AusAID (Australian Agency for International Development), which was responsible for Australia's international aid; however, it was integrated into DFAT in October 2013. I (HHD 2012) studied AusAID, which had a whole bunch of different content attached to it.

All the best. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2015, 10:55:53 pm »
My understanding is that DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trading) is the governmental branch that is responsible for Australia's international aid. I agree that when a question asks about DFAT, those are the things to discuss.

The study design was relatively recently changed, which may have caused some confusion. We used to have an agency called AusAID (Australian Agency for International Development), which was responsible for Australia's international aid; however, it was integrated into DFAT in October 2013. I (HHD 2012) studied AusAID, which had a whole bunch of different content attached to it.

All the best. :)

ah ok, cheers for the clarification! +1'ed

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:04 pm »
I don't know what to say for the roles Australia's Government plays (For this dot point: 'the priorities of the Australian Government’s aid initiatives and the role it plays in developing programs to improve global health and sustainable human development')

EDIT: Is it just like for Effective Governance - Provide Advice to governments and so on?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:48:37 pm by girl1234 »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2015, 02:26:18 pm »
+1
^and to add to above, the reason I use DFAT more (but not always) is simply a reaction to AusAID.  DFAT is quicker to write, and I'd find myself shortening 'Australian aid' to 'Aus aid', which is grey area; you could lose a mark for saying that.  So I steer clear of all risks with a quicker DFAT.

I don't know what to say for the roles Australia's Government plays (For this dot point: 'the priorities of the Australian Government’s aid initiatives and the role it plays in developing programs to improve global health and sustainable human development')

EDIT: Is it just like for Effective Governance - Provide Advice to governments and so on?
They're very unlikely to give you an open-ended question like 'What are the roles the Australian Government plays in promoting SHD?'  Though you may get, what is one way the govt promotes SHD, in which case you'd pick on anything specific like 'provide advice to governments to help with blah, which helps these governments to blah blah and thus achieve SHD'.

Anyway, I'd divide this dot point into two parts:
- the priorities of the Aus govt's aid initiatives
- the role the govt plays in developing programs.

Hence, they would most likely ask you
a.  How the govt uses priorities (either a specific one, or your choice) to promote SHD - pick a few examples and say how that impacts SHD.
b.  How the govt uses one program to promote SHD - just explain a program like you would any other.

Hope that answers your question!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

sunshine98

« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2015, 03:01:33 pm »
A really simple question but just clarifying :
If q gives data and asks you to identify the country that has made most progress towards achieving MDGs and say it was MDG 4 (reduce child mortality) - do you go for the country that is closest to the target , but decreased by a bit ? Or the one that has decreased the most , yet is still far from the target?

Thank youuuu :)
anyone?

djsbrks

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: ABC
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2015, 03:12:18 pm »
Hi :) I have a question regarding the 4th key knowledge from unit 4 aos 2, 'The agenda of the WHO in promoting global health and sustainable human development'. My teacher says the WHO agenda has changed this year and so we were taught the 'WHO leadership priorities' instead. I'm a bit confused, if the WHO agenda has indeed changed, can we still talk about it in the exam this year? Or should we discuss the WHO leadership priorities?

Thank you in advance!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »
+3
A really simple question but just clarifying :
If q gives data and asks you to identify the country that has made most progress towards achieving MDGs and say it was MDG 4 (reduce child mortality) - do you go for the country that is closest to the target , but decreased by a bit ? Or the one that has decreased the most , yet is still far from the target?

Thank youuuu :)
anyone?

Oops, totally didn't see that sorry... 'Progress' means movement, so it's the ones that have decreased the most.  I agree though, I've found these tricky too for this reason.

Hi :) I have a question regarding the 4th key knowledge from unit 4 aos 2, 'The agenda of the WHO in promoting global health and sustainable human development'. My teacher says the WHO agenda has changed this year and so we were taught the 'WHO leadership priorities' instead. I'm a bit confused, if the WHO agenda has indeed changed, can we still talk about it in the exam this year? Or should we discuss the WHO leadership priorities?

Thank you in advance!

Great question, everyone read this answer.  The PEFISH 'agenda' has been out of date for a couple of years, it confused me last year because the website said something different from the textbook.  Anyway, this year VCAA officially changed, so it's now WHO's leadership areas and you will LOSE MARKS if you say one of the old ones.  So definitely discuss the leadership areas.
(Oops, my prac exam I uploaded still has agenda, because I hadn't realised when I wrote it).

Leadership Areas, UNSHIT
Perfect acronym because the WHO is so awesome.
- universal health coverage
 - non-communicable diseases
 - social, economic and environmental determinants
 - health-related MDGs
 - increasing access to medical products
 - the international health regulations
Summary: confusing.
2013: Core functions.
2014: Agenda areas.
2015: Leadership priorities.
Evil VCAA.

djsbrks

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: ABC
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2015, 03:49:51 pm »
@bangali_lok
Thanks for your quick reply! I can't figure out how to reply to your answer hence the new post..
That definitely makes a lot more sense now, I will be sure to use the acronym :')
Agreed, VCAA y u do dis -.-

idris

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Minaret College
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »
Hey guys, I was just wondering what is the difference between sustainable development and sustainable human development

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2015, 08:27:47 pm »
@bangali_lok
Thanks for your quick reply! I can't figure out how to reply to your answer hence the new post..
That definitely makes a lot more sense now, I will be sure to use the acronym :')
Agreed, VCAA y u do dis -.-
Welcome, yeah, you reply by making a new post :)

Hey guys, I was just wondering what is the difference between sustainable development and sustainable human development
Don't know of any difference at all - and I don't think VCAA would use the term sustainable development ever.  Sorry, not 100% sure, but I'd call them identical.

mnafady2006

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2015, 07:34:26 pm »
With regards to this dot point on the study design, i understand originally it was about AUSAID, but now its been changed to DFAT. So that does that mean we don't need to know anything about ausaid , except we should learn about dfat and its 6 priorities?

"the priorities of the Australian Government’s aid initiatives and the role it plays in developing
programs to improve global health and sustainable human development"
2015- English, Methods, Economics, Health

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2015, 09:59:24 pm »
why does the Australian Government provide funding for multilaterial organisations and NGOs?
Basic question, dunno how to word it

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2015, 07:38:49 am »
With regards to this dot point on the study design, i understand originally it was about AUSAID, but now its been changed to DFAT. So that does that mean we don't need to know anything about ausaid , except we should learn about dfat and its 6 priorities?

"the priorities of the Australian Government’s aid initiatives and the role it plays in developing
programs to improve global health and sustainable human development"
Yes, AusAID simply doesn't exist.  (I've discussed more about this dot-point in the last 2ish pages of the thread if you care to skim quickly.)

why does the Australian Government provide funding for multilaterial organisations and NGOs?
Basic question, dunno how to word it
Well, what are the positives/better impacts on SHD of
a) multilateral aid
b) NGO aid
that bilateral aid can't achieve?  If you don't know, think about it for a while.

Then just explain that.  'Because multilateral aid... Because NGO aid...'  Give me your attempt if you're still stuck :)