Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:44:59 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261945 times)  Share 

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2015, 09:24:17 am »
Yes, AusAID simply doesn't exist.  (I've discussed more about this dot-point in the last 2ish pages of the thread if you care to skim quickly.)
Well, what are the positives/better impacts on SHD of
a) multilateral aid
b) NGO aid
that bilateral aid can't achieve?  If you don't know, think about it for a while.

Then just explain that.  'Because multilateral aid... Because NGO aid...'  Give me your attempt if you're still stuck :)
Multilateral -> Bilateral sector may not have enough time to focus on other sectors in the world maybe ? By providing aid/support to other countries, governments are able to implement facilities such as health care facilities and education facilities (e.g. school) to allow people to have access to school -> increased knowledge -> more likely to engage in health promotion behaviours (e.g. use contraception during sex to avoid catching sexual transmitted infections such as HIV or AIDs) -> globally health increase -> higher life expectancy -> lower mortality rates ?
NGO -> Uhhh, Australia Government provides funding for non-government organisations because NGOs may not have adequate financial funding to provide assistance to other countries or local communities. Australian Government wants to provide assistance to other countries in a effective way, so they can provide funding to other countries iuuno what to write for NGOs

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2015, 05:41:29 am »
Multilateral -> Bilateral sector may not have enough time to focus on other sectors in the world maybe ? By providing aid/support to other countries, governments are able to implement facilities such as health care facilities and education facilities (e.g. school) to allow people to have access to school -> increased knowledge -> more likely to engage in health promotion behaviours (e.g. use contraception during sex to avoid catching sexual transmitted infections such as HIV or AIDs) -> globally health increase -> higher life expectancy -> lower mortality rates ?
NGO -> Uhhh, Australia Government provides funding for non-government organisations because NGOs may not have adequate financial funding to provide assistance to other countries or local communities. Australian Government wants to provide assistance to other countries in a effective way, so they can provide funding to other countries iuuno what to write for NGOs

Yep, again, the point is, what advantages can these types of aid provide that bilateral aid can't?  Bilateral does focus on different places in the world (it works with individual countries across the world).  Try this out again before checking my spoilers from my notes!  Think about it, multilateral = big + international, and some problems are big + international; NGO = small + local + focuses on communities.

Multilateral
•   able to have significant impact as they can coordinate resources in large-scale projects to address major humanitarian needs on a global scale
•   can resolve conflict and support peace on a global scale
•   can provide global support for control, treatment and eradication of diseases such as HIV, TB, malaria, and vaccine-preventable disease, and prevent global disease epidemics
NGO aid
•   can provide aid quickly and directly to those in need of assistance, often where official aid cannot reach
•   implement small-scale projects with strong community involvement and education (thus sustainable)
•   target community’s specific needs – appropriate and effective

This is a key skill for HHD, btw - that if you got a question like this and hadn't learnt it, to think and think and think until you come up with something decent.  Practise it.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2015, 08:08:46 am »
Yep, again, the point is, what advantages can these types of aid provide that bilateral aid can't?  Bilateral does focus on different places in the world (it works with individual countries across the world).  Try this out again before checking my spoilers from my notes!  Think about it, multilateral = big + international, and some problems are big + international; NGO = small + local + focuses on communities.

Multilateral
•   able to have significant impact as they can coordinate resources in large-scale projects to address major humanitarian needs on a global scale
•   can resolve conflict and support peace on a global scale
•   can provide global support for control, treatment and eradication of diseases such as HIV, TB, malaria, and vaccine-preventable disease, and prevent global disease epidemics
NGO aid
•   can provide aid quickly and directly to those in need of assistance, often where official aid cannot reach
•   implement small-scale projects with strong community involvement and education (thus sustainable)
•   target community’s specific needs – appropriate and effective

This is a key skill for HHD, btw - that if you got a question like this and hadn't learnt it, to think and think and think until you come up with something decent.  Practise it.
Yep, the teacher helped me go over this.
Thanks a lot for your help

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Some select entry
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
Hey everyone,
 I was wondering whether the following response would be suitable for identifying and briefly (not really brief..is it?) explaining an Australian NGO...

"World Vision Australia is a nongovernment organistation that aims to address the underlying causes of poverty, food insecurity and lack of water and sanitation by implementing programs such as water pumps in Nigeria. World Vision's mission is 'to be a Christian relief, development and advocacy organistation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice'.

Anything I should add/remove from this? -If possible could anyone briefly highlight they key information required when describing or outlining an NGO (not program).

THANKS
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:13:32 pm by Losingmotivation »

xeon88

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2015, 07:13:26 pm »
When discussing global health, do you relate to the dimensions of health for populations and/or health indicators? Also when you outline what roles NGOs play in global health and human development, do you discuss how they work/what they do and link them to improving global health and HD? Thanks

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »
Hey everyone,
 I was wondering whether the following response would be suitable for identifying and briefly (not really brief..is it?) explaining an Australian NGO...

"World Vision Australia is a nongovernment organistation that aims to address the underlying causes of poverty, food insecurity and lack of water and sanitation by implementing programs such as water pumps in Nigeria. World Vision's mission is 'to be a Christian relief, development and advocacy organistation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice'.

Anything I should add/remove from this? -If possible could anyone briefly highlight they key information required when describing or outlining an NGO (not program).

THANKS

I never did anything like this, tbh, since they've' never asked a question like this.  It's probably a good thing to do however to be safe, but I wouldn't stress too much about learning it.  It sounds totally fine to me as it is :)

When discussing global health, do you relate to the dimensions of health for populations and/or health indicators? Also when you outline what roles NGOs play in global health and human development, do you discuss how they work/what they do and link them to improving global health and HD? Thanks

See Re: HHD [3/4] Questions Thread :)

Well, if you don't have any examples of what they do you can't exactly show their impact, can you?  Since if they don't do anything then, well, they don't do anything.  So yes, briefly describe their work and then link.

Izzy1

• Adventurer
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2015, 08:34:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if the program "Child Friendly Schools" is an example of multilateral or NGO Aid? UNICEF works with the Pakistani Gov, and local communities to create 'child friendly schools'. I'm pretty sure it's NGO but im not 100% confident!
TIA

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2015, 08:52:49 pm »
+1
I'm really struggling to grasp this dot point:
"different types of aid, including emergency aid, bilateral and multilateral, non-government organisation aid, and how they are used to achieve global health and sustainable human development"
I think i'm ok with emergency aid, but for the rest?????

My thoughts so far...
Multilateral: Implements large scale programs
Bilateral:  ?? ? ? ??
NGO: Implements small community based programs
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Rainbow19

• Adventurer
  • School: Not To Say
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2015, 01:10:58 pm »
Hey guys, i'm kinda new to this  8) 8)

I am a bit lost with regards to the NGO's. So .....

• the role of non-government organisations based in Australia in promoting global health and sustainable human development     --> Do we need to know about specific programs ( i thought we would be given a case study??) What is an example of one?

• programs focusing on literacy, food security, HIV/AIDS and malaria, immunisation, safe water and sanitation in terms of.........:
--> are these run by DFAT or something??? I was looking at past exams and some questions were like what is a program that AusAid (now DFAT) has run with an NGO????... I was under the impression it was hypothetical, like what is a program that could be implemented???
 Hope i'm making sense coz I'm confused myself haha  :) :) :) :) :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:00 am »
+1
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if the program "Child Friendly Schools" is an example of multilateral or NGO Aid? UNICEF works with the Pakistani Gov, and local communities to create 'child friendly schools'. I'm pretty sure it's NGO but im not 100% confident!
TIA
Idk the actual program, but if it's UNICEF, that's part of the UN, which is a multilateral organisation.  Note that a program can involve different types of aid, for instance, Australian Aid can work with an NGO like CARE Australia to deliver a program, so that it's both bilateral and NGO aid.

I'm really struggling to grasp this dot point:
"different types of aid, including emergency aid, bilateral and multilateral, non-government organisation aid, and how they are used to achieve global health and sustainable human development"
I think i'm ok with emergency aid, but for the rest?????

My thoughts so far...
Multilateral: Implements large scale programs
Bilateral:  ?? ? ? ??
NGO: Implements small community based programs
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Scroll up :P Re: HHD [3/4] Questions Thread

Multilateral: as you say, huge scale, so they can really knock big issues on the head!!  But not just that; can you think of any international problems that it wouldn't be in the power of one single country to deal with?  Like, think about the things that the UN and WHO do that an individual country couldn't.

Bilateral: this one's a bit negative, actually, with limitations rather than benefits.  Often countries give to others for their own benefit, so it's not so useful - like they might send their own goods and services to improve their employment rates and trade, which may be more expensive and less efficient.  Like they might say 'we spent $5 mill!!!', but in reality, since they spent it on their own expensive products to help themselves, it only has the actual value of $3mill.  Still, there's heaps of good done.

NGO: small, community-based programs - think about how that makes them more sustainable, in terms of the elements of sustainability.

Hey guys, i'm kinda new to this  8) 8)

I am a bit lost with regards to the NGO's. So .....

• the role of non-government organisations based in Australia in promoting global health and sustainable human development     --> Do we need to know about specific programs ( i thought we would be given a case study??) What is an example of one?

• programs focusing on literacy, food security, HIV/AIDS and malaria, immunisation, safe water and sanitation in terms of.........:
--> are these run by DFAT or something??? I was looking at past exams and some questions were like what is a program that AusAid (now DFAT) has run with an NGO????... I was under the impression it was hypothetical, like what is a program that could be implemented???
 Hope i'm making sense coz I'm confused myself haha  :) :) :) :) :)

Heya, cool to have you on board!  Welcome, and let us know if you have any issues with anything :D

Yes, you'll NEED to know 1-2 programs; for instance, could search through https://www.care.org.au/what-we-do/, under each heading memory tells me there are a few programs.  You need to know the aims, a few specific details about how they run, and then how that impacts GH and SHD.

No, there are two types of questions:
- Outline a program that HAS been implemented... --> NOT hypothetical, you need to learn a real one
- Outline a program that COULD be implemented... --> hypothetical, but you can still use details you learnt from the real one, or ones you've made up.

Those programs on literacy, food security etc. can be run by anyone - NGOs, DFAT, multilateral organisations.  It's up to you to find any random (true) program.  However, if you learn 1-2 from DFAT and 1-2 of NGOs, then that overlaps with other dot-points and saves you brainspace.

Okay, that AusAID + NGO question is possibly the nastiest question they've ever sprung - it's not clear that you have to know something like that, and it terrified me during my study (what other things would they spring that I didn't know I had to know?).  If you get stuck on the spot with a scary question like that, be prepared to invent; write out a full program that you know DFAT has implemented, and link it with a random NGO.  Don't panic and give up!!

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2015, 10:48:23 am »
Multilateral: as you say, huge scale, so they can really knock big issues on the head!!  But not just that; can you think of any international problems that it wouldn't be in the power of one single country to deal with?  Like, think about the things that the UN and WHO do that an individual country couldn't.
--> Like resolving conflict?
Those programs on literacy, food security etc. can be run by anyone - NGOs, DFAT, multilateral organisations.  It's up to you to find any random (true) program.  However, if you learn 1-2 from DFAT and 1-2 of NGOs, then that overlaps with other dot-points and saves you brainspace.

I struggle to find good programs, would  you be able to suggest any to us? :D

Rainbow19

• Adventurer
  • School: Not To Say
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2015, 11:51:15 am »
Alright, so for like the questions that ask for programs that HAVE been implemented, would they be about the programs focusing on literacy, food security etc?
whereas the COULD be implemented questions can be about anything e.g: maternal mortality ??

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2015, 12:09:36 pm »
+1
--> Like resolving conflict?
Yes; and think about dealing with international outbreaks like ebola, or multinational companies like Maccas, tobacco giants, etc.

I struggle to find good programs, would  you be able to suggest any to us? :D
Firstly, your textbook should have some (should be good enough to score full marks at all times), if not, go to relevant websites
Alright, so for like the questions that ask for programs that HAVE been implemented, would they be about the programs focusing on literacy, food security etc?
whereas the COULD be implemented questions can be about anything e.g: maternal mortality ??
Precisely :)

hutchinm

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: mikaylahutchins
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2015, 08:08:56 pm »
Hey, sorry if this has already been answered but I can't find it anywhere!

I'm doing revision and am struggling with the study design point:
> Potential health outcomes of a VicHealth funded project and how it reflects social model of health

At the moment this is all I have for it in my notes:

* MOTION Program.
Funds art orgs to establish arts activities that incorporate physical activity to build social connection
* Walk to School program.
- School children and their parents are encouraged to walk to school each day in October
> ↑ social interaction (social health)
> ↑ physical activity
= ↑ fitness, assists weight management (physical health)
= ↑ feelings of wellbeing (mental health)

and I feel like I'm missing a lot, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2015, 08:56:57 pm »
Hey guys, for some of the programs focusing on water and sanitation etc, i can't find the actual program name. So like for water and sanitation is this enough, or should i try find another program?? "WaterAid Australia implemented a program that help people in developing countries access safe water by . . .. . "