Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:16:43 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261948 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2015, 09:54:39 pm »
I'm doing revision and am struggling with the study design point:
> Potential health outcomes of a VicHealth funded project and how it reflects social model of health

At the moment this is all I have for it in my notes:

* MOTION Program.
Funds art orgs to establish arts activities that incorporate physical activity to build social connection
* Walk to School program.
- School children and their parents are encouraged to walk to school each day in October
> ↑ social interaction (social health)
> ↑ physical activity
= ↑ fitness, assists weight management (physical health)
= ↑ feelings of wellbeing (mental health)

and I feel like I'm missing a lot, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to this thread Hutchinm! :)

I'd learn one more in detail, as in, learning exactly what it involves and the actions VicHealth takes. (Quit is a pretty easy one because there's heaps of detail about it on the website.)

So then you have to be able to link it to:
- all dimensions of health
- a few of the principles of the social model of health (AREAS)

Both of these you should be able to do on the spot, rather than having to learn it by heart, because you're more likely to be given a case study you've never seen and be asked the impacts on health or how it reflects the social model.  So practise on a few random programs, trying to explain how they impact health and reflect the principles!

If you're totally stuck on how to answer social model questions, there's an e.g. in the spoiler.

Spoiler
CARE Australia produces and freely distributes educational magazines and radio broadcasts in Timor-Leste, which teach literacy, numeracy, small business development, health and nutrition.  Teachers use them to teach, and parents read them with their children, increasing their knowledge, literacy and skills.

Involves intersectorial collaboration: an NGO (CARE Australia), the media (radio) and the education system are working together to increase literacy levels and health.
Addresses the broader determinants of health: the magazine targets social and economic determinants of health (such as literacy, health-related knowledge, income) rather than biomedical/behavioural determinants.

And see http://wiki.engageeducation.org.au/health-and-human-development/unit-3/area-of-study-2-promoting-health-in-australia/case-study-social-model-or-ottawa-charter/.
Let me know if I didn't answer your question :)

Hey guys, for some of the programs focusing on water and sanitation etc, i can't find the actual program name. So like for water and sanitation is this enough, or should i try find another program?? "WaterAid Australia implemented a program that help people in developing countries access safe water by . . .. . "

OK yeah, I often struggled to find names; you can often say WaterAid's Clean Water Program or something, put it in capitals and it looks like a name.  The name really isn't important if you have a good program, don't stress :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

hutchinm

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: mikaylahutchins
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2015, 03:58:36 pm »
Wow thanks so much for your help!
Just to be annoying and double check, would you say these new notes are adequate enough then?

MOTION Program
- Funds art orgs to establish arts activities that incorporate physical activity to build social connection
> ↑ physical activity (physical health)
> regular physical activity protects against illness, improves mental health and alertness, and increases resilience against stress, anxiety and depression (mental health)
> builds social connection (social health)

Link to social model:
1. Addresses the broader determinants of health
Addresses the broader determinants of health such as social inclusion and connectedness.
3. Acts to reduce social inequities.
MOTION is an initiative for everyone
5. Empower individuals and communities
About improving people’s health by giving them opportunities to get creative, physically active and involved in their local community through the arts.

Walk to School program.
- School children and their parents are encouraged to walk to school each day in October
> ↑ social interaction (social health)
> ↑ physical activity
= ↑ fitness, assists weight management (physical health)
= ↑ feelings of wellbeing (mental health)

Link to social model:
2. Involve inter-sectoral collaboration
This program was initiated by collaboration between VicHealth, schools, teachers and parents, local councils, media and non-government organisations.
- By engaging in regular physical activity, individuals become empowered and are more likely to participate in physical activity in the future.

Quit
- Anti-smoking campaign that provides:
> support to those attempting to quit
> education programs that aim to reduce the number of individuals taking up the habit
= ↓ smoking rates
= ↓ risk of cancer, respiratory diseases and cardiovascular diseases
= ↑ life expectancy (physical health)

Link to social model:
2. Involve inter-sectoral collaboration
VicHealth (funding), media (campaigns), education system (smoking prevention programs in schools)
This empowers individuals by providing them with skills/knowledge that can lead to educated decisions about tobacco smoking

banaidil

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: lyndhurst secondary college
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:39 pm »
i don't really understand when a question asks how does this( whatever they are talking about)  improve global health. i mean when the whole case study is talking about an individual or a community how can you talk about their improvement of health in a global context?
thank you :)

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2015, 09:01:57 pm »
hey :)

for this on the study design:
- the role of nutrition in addressing the following conditions recognised in the NHPAs: cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, colorectal cancer, obesity and osteoporosis, taking into account, where relevant, the function (as a determinant of health) and major food sources of protein, carbohydrate (including fibre), fats (mono, poly, saturated and trans), water, calcium, phosphorus, sodium and vitamin D.

does 'addressing' mean 'as a protective factor'?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2015, 01:35:15 pm »
+1
hey :)

for this on the study design:
- the role of nutrition in addressing the following conditions recognised in the NHPAs: cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, colorectal cancer, obesity and osteoporosis, taking into account, where relevant, the function (as a determinant of health) and major food sources of protein, carbohydrate (including fibre), fats (mono, poly, saturated and trans), water, calcium, phosphorus, sodium and vitamin D.

does 'addressing' mean 'as a protective factor'?

Basically. But also be aware of the risk factors of each nutrient. So, for example, saturated and trans fats might be risk factors for obesity and diabetes mellitus; the nutrients aren't always protective factors, but they often are.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2015, 04:11:26 pm »
Basically. But also be aware of the risk factors of each nutrient. So, for example, saturated and trans fats might be risk factors for obesity and diabetes mellitus; the nutrients aren't always protective factors, but they often are.

ok cool thank you, so if I get a question that asks for the function of carbohydrates as a determinant of health for example, can I talk about either risk or protective factors or should I discuss both?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2015, 06:40:59 pm »
ok cool thank you, so if I get a question that asks for the function of carbohydrates as a determinant of health for example, can I talk about either risk or protective factors or should I discuss both?

I don't have any particular substance for this, but my opinion is that when it asks for the function, it's best to speak of the positive aspects. I wouldn't really see the excess body weight of saturated fat, for example, a 'function' as such - more of a consequence.

Speaking from experience, I always spoke about the positive aspects of the nutrient when it asked for its function.

I'm not 100% sure about it, though. What do other people think about this?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2015, 10:31:40 pm »
I don't have any particular substance for this, but my opinion is that when it asks for the function, it's best to speak of the positive aspects. I wouldn't really see the excess body weight of saturated fat, for example, a 'function' as such - more of a consequence.

Speaking from experience, I always spoke about the positive aspects of the nutrient when it asked for its function.

I'm not 100% sure about it, though. What do other people think about this?

I think you could justify either positive or negative in my opinion. As long as there's reasoning either should be fine :D

Does anyone have any tips on choosing health promotion programs for NHPA's so that they double up??? I was thinking I could use the same one for injury prevention and control (suicide) and mental health??
Also, what are the things you need to say to get the marks for a health promotion program??

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2015, 08:13:22 am »
Wow thanks so much for your help!
Just to be annoying and double check, would you say these new notes are adequate enough then?

Program descriptions: probably need a bit more detail about how they’re implemented.

Links to health: perfect :)

Links to social model: excellent in some sections, a bit sketchy in others; e.g. in MOTION, one of your explanations was ‘Addresses the broader determinants of health such as social inclusion and connectedness.’  You’d need to expand a bit more (most of that’s just the name of the principle), being more specific about exactly where in the program it demonstrates social inclusion and connectedness, and also naming what type of determinant is being addressed, rather than just ‘broader’ (social determinants).  Just more detail on a couple of these would be good :)

That said, I’m thinking about answering a question in the exam.  I wouldn’t put these details in your notes, as you don’t have to learn them.  This is more a skill, the skill of identifying aspects of the social model/Ottawa Charter from ANY program.  So it's less important to learn some, and more important to practise it in different case studies. (e.g. also try applying Ottawa Charter to these).

i don't really understand when a question asks how does this( whatever they are talking about)  improve global health. i mean when the whole case study is talking about an individual or a community how can you talk about their improvement of health in a global context?
Love how everyone asks the questions I asked too...

Most programs target developing countries; thus, they promote equity in health worldwide by improving the health of a country that’s currently hopelessly disadvantaged, and bringing it up closer to other countries.  Also, a small program contributes to overall improved health – it’s lots of tiny programs working together that promote health worldwide.

I agree it’s stupid, but meh, you just have to know how to answer the question: explain the impact of the program on health status, and then throw in phrases like ‘for all people worldwide’ or (which I prefer as it’s more true) ‘promoting equity in health worldwide’.

I think you could justify either positive or negative in my opinion. As long as there's reasoning either should be fine :D

Does anyone have any tips on choosing health promotion programs for NHPA's so that they double up??? I was thinking I could use the same one for injury prevention and control (suicide) and mental health??
Also, what are the things you need to say to get the marks for a health promotion program??
Just always make sure it’s as relevant as possible, and make 100% sure you really clearly draw the link between the program and burden of disease from that NHPA, in detail.  Obesity-related programs cover obesity, CV health and diabetes mellitus; mental health programs cover what you said; that’s about it.

To describe one program that aims to decrease burden of disease from one NHPA:
1.   name the program
2.   who is running the program
3.   what is the program’s aims
4.   how do they do it (bulk of your response)
5.   the impact of this on the NHPA
Remember to be as specific as possible and include enough detail, especially on point 4.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2015, 01:06:12 pm »

Just always make sure it’s as relevant as possible, and make 100% sure you really clearly draw the link between the program and burden of disease from that NHPA, in detail.  Obesity-related programs cover obesity, CV health and diabetes mellitus; mental health programs cover what you said; that’s about it.

To describe one program that aims to decrease burden of disease from one NHPA:
1.   name the program
2.   who is running the program
3.   what is the program’s aims
4.   how do they do it (bulk of your response)
5.   the impact of this on the NHPA
Remember to be as specific as possible and include enough detail, especially on point 4.

Does the heart foundation tick work for Cardiovascular Health, Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity?? Or should i change it so that it directly links to weight??

So i can use the same program for injury prevention and control and mental health?? so like the 'R U OK? Program'

imaware

• Forum Regular
  • School: Private
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2015, 01:32:06 pm »
Just wondering, in regards with the Health exam pro practice examinations, I've completed the first sample exam. Was wondering if its easier/harder/same difficulty of VCAA papers. I finished 5 minutes late but it was the first exam i've decided to attempt and thought i'd time myself.

Any thoughts anyone?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2015, 05:48:39 pm »
+1
Does the heart foundation tick work for Cardiovascular Health, Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity?? Or should i change it so that it directly links to weight??

So i can use the same program for injury prevention and control and mental health?? so like the 'R U OK? Program'
The Tick is fine as long as you show direct links to the particular disease involved.

Yes, RUOK should be fine as long as you really clearly explain how it'll reduce risk of intentional self-harm/suicide, and will thus reduce injury rates from suicide.

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:42 pm »
hey guys,

does anyone find the engage practise exams very different from VCAA-style questions?
they're just not specific enough? idk if I should spend time on these?

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
Haven't done them so i'm not sure.

How much detail do we need to know the Australian Dietary Guidelines in?? Is knowing the guideline enough ?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2015, 09:38:11 am »
+1
does anyone find the engage practise exams very different from VCAA-style questions?
they're just not specific enough? idk if I should spend time on these?

From the free ones I've seen, they don't look brilliant (though don't write off all after trying one, as there are probably different authors).  I wouldn't do them in full, but probably skim them, answering the questions in your head/verbally - you'll still learn stuff, but not waste two full hours.  Of the ones I looked through last year, only Insight and QATS seemed VCAA-like to me.  Plus hopefully the one I wrote and posted on this board ;)

How much detail do we need to know the Australian Dietary Guidelines in?? Is knowing the guideline enough ?

Yeah, knowing the guidelines (not word-for-word, but pretty thoroughly) should be good enough.  The rest of it is just drawing on your U3 AOS 1 nutrition and health status knowledge to link to how it would improve health status or reduce BOD from specific diseases, which you should be able to make up on the spot.