Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:35:46 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261957 times)  Share 

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Some select entry
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2015, 07:27:05 pm »
+1
would that mean you need about 85% correct to crack the 45+ range?

I have this same question too :) Could anyone clarify please?

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2015, 03:23:39 pm »
I have this same question too :) Could anyone clarify please?

I don't think you can ever be certain, depends on how everybody else performs, your ranking and overall cohort.. As i said a few posts back, Andrew Beaumont said the highest exam mark he saw was a 94%. Open for interpretation on how to get over 45 :) 

emmakate

• Adventurer
  • She thought she could, so she did.
  • School: BW
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »
Hey, lovely people.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out by going over this Unit 4 Key Knowledge point:
• the influence on the health status of developing countries compared to Australia of income, gender equality, peace/political stability, education, access to healthcare, global marketing (of alcohol, tobacco and fast/processed foods) and physical environments
I've got a general idea of it, but it'd be absolutely amazing if someone could briefly summarise it for me, and highlight the main points - maybe even come up with a likely exam question? Thanks heaps in advance, and sorry for asking so much.
Hope everyone's feeling okay in the lead-up! One week to go. :o
"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it - because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman.

2015: Health & Human Development
2016: Psychology | Methods | English Language | Literature | Religion and Society

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2015, 09:05:13 am »
+2
Hey, lovely people.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out by going over this Unit 4 Key Knowledge point:I've got a general idea of it, but it'd be absolutely amazing if someone could briefly summarise it for me, and highlight the main points - maybe even come up with a likely exam question? Thanks heaps in advance, and sorry for asking so much.
Hope everyone's feeling okay in the lead-up! One week to go. :o

if I'm incorrect, no one hesitate to correct me... I haven't really thought about HHD for a while

This dot point is really practical, common sense -- if you're really stuck, just think about how it is in developing countries compared to Australia. eg. Does everyone go to school in developing countries? Is there political stability? Do men and women have the same rights? Is there adequate access to health care? Is there sanitation? ie. the answer to these is generally no, so then you think about what effect this has on citizens of that country.

Exam question would most likely be:
What is the impact of gender equality/global marketing/whatever on the health status of developed compared to developing countries?
(or something along those lines, essentially asking the same thing)

Here are some examples of the influence of these on health status, but there are heaps more that I may have forgotten:
Gender equality
- Men and women have equal access to education, income, social services, etc in Australia > more likely to be able to afford nutritious food, health care > reduced morbidity and mortality from preventable diseases

Peace/political stability
- In developing countries there may be political unrest eg. civil war, protesting > can lead to violence > increased morbidity and mortality from injuries
- War or conflict may prevent access to resources such as health care, food > increased morbidity and mortality from preventable diseases, malnutrition

Income
- Sufficient income > can afford health promoting resources such as nutritious food > don't have to rely on processed foods > less likely to be obese > reduced morbidity and mortality from CVD, type 2 diabetes etc
- Can afford health care > reduced morbidity and mortality from preventable diseases eg. flu and detectable and treatable conditions eg. cervical cancer

Education
- Literate > more likely to get a job > income > can afford health care, nutritious food etc etc etc
(notice that a lot of these are the same so don't stress too much about this dot point I reckon)

Global marketing
- Tobacco, alcohol being marketed in developing countries due to lost revenue in developed countries > people in developing countries are less educated about the harmful effects of these and are therefore more susceptible to advertising by multinational companies. Also, some may desire to be more 'Western' as a result of pop culture etc > people in developing countries smoke, drink etc > increases morbidity and mortality from lung & throat cancer (tobacco smoking), cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes (bad foods > obesity > CVD, diabetes), reduced LE > double disease burden from both communicable disease and malnutrition as well as lifestyle disease caused by Western habits

Physical environments
- Lack of sanitation > increased morbidity and mortality from water-borne diseases eg. diarrhoea, cholera
- Air pollution > chronic respiratory diseases
- Poor housing and overcrowding > increases spread of infectious diseases

Hope this helps, anyone feel free to call out my mistakes
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:07:23 am by tashhhaaa »

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2015, 10:31:49 am »
Hey Guys!!
Hope all your exams have been going well :D

I have a question regarding this question from  the 2014 exam

'Explain how one biological determinant and one social determinant could contribute to the variations in life expectancy between males and females.'

The exam report says this: 'Access to Health care: Due to the ‘macho’ attitude among men, they are less likely than females to access health care, meaning conditions may not be diagnosed or treated in time, increasing morbidity and mortality and decreasing their life expectancy compared to females.'

I don't understand how that's a social determinant, i can see it being behavioural?

Similar with Occupation/Employment: For a social determinant, could you say males are more likely to work in dangerous job settings with machinery etc? or is that a Physical Environment

THANK YOU :D

emmakate

• Adventurer
« Reply #320 on: November 01, 2015, 07:36:33 pm »
Hey all!
I've been planning out the last few days (and trying not to panic - we're running out of days!) and thought I'd get the opinion of some of you. Seeing as the Health exam is in the afternoon (3.00-5.15), what do you think the best way to spend the day is, study-wise? I know it will differ from person to person, but for me I think that squeezing in one or more practice exams will leave me too tired for the real one.
So what did/will you do for your final preparations, come Wednesday?
"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it - because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman.

2016: Psychology | Methods | English Language | Literature | Religion and Society

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #321 on: November 01, 2015, 08:11:16 pm »
have some posts been deleted from this thread? some replies and the question I asked today are missing?

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #322 on: November 01, 2015, 08:42:21 pm »
have some posts been deleted from this thread? some replies and the question I asked today are missing?

yeah thats so strange, i just noticed that too!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #323 on: November 01, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »
Hey all!
I've been planning out the last few days (and trying not to panic - we're running out of days!) and thought I'd get the opinion of some of you. Seeing as the Health exam is in the afternoon (3.00-5.15), what do you think the best way to spend the day is, study-wise? I know it will differ from person to person, but for me I think that squeezing in one or more practice exams will leave me too tired for the real one.
So what did/will you do for your final preparations, come Wednesday?

I didn't revise at all aside from briefly reading some notes (although I didn't really read them - I just sort of held them for peace of mind haha). I certainly didn't want to touch any practice exams.

I went for a walk, played some FIFA and tried to enjoy the sunshine. Best of luck. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:58:43 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

xeon88

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2015, 10:45:28 pm »
Hey guys, how would you define sustainable human development? I can't seem to find the exact definition in the study design.

My textbook (Key Concepts) says: "The capacity of current and future generations to achieve their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accordance with their needs and interests".

A practice exam I did (Engage) says: "The process of people striving to achieve their full potential, lead more productive lives, expand their choices and meet their needs without compromising the opportunities of future generations to meet their own needs."

sunshine98

« Reply #325 on: November 02, 2015, 08:15:20 am »
For this key knowledge
 local, state and federal governments' responsibilities for health and health funding 
how many responsibilities should we know? and like for the funding what do we need to know in particular?
Also for the role of vic health , would this suffice ?
The role of Vic Health : a Victorian state Government imitative which is involved in health promotion and primary prevention of non-communicable diseases in order to promote good health , prevent ill-health and reduce inequalities between population groups in Victoria.
And when analysing data and comparing for Australia and other developed countries my teacher always says we should write 'Australia compares favourably with [insert country]' I always thought this was unnecessary , do we need to do this? 
Also , if a q were to ask the definition of developed and developing countries , would writing  a few characteristics of each into a few sentences suffice? Cause there is no official definition, right?
Thank you  :) :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:19:54 am by sunshine98 »

imaware

• Forum Regular
  • School: Private
« Reply #326 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:05 am »
To those who did Health and methods exams on the same day what were your approaches?
Did you revise for health after the methods exam or did you just chill etc?

emmakate

• Adventurer
« Reply #327 on: November 02, 2015, 11:34:27 am »
+1
I'm doing it this year too, so if this is wrong - anyone feel free to correct me. ;D
Also for the role of vic health , would this suffice ?
The role of Vic Health : a Victorian state Government imitative which is involved in health promotion and primary prevention of non-communicable diseases in order to promote good health , prevent ill-health and reduce inequalities between population groups in Victoria.
This is from Key Concepts -
VicHealth's role is to promote health by targeting the broader social, economic and environmental factors that influence health. VicHealth targets these influences through funding, sponsorship, research and evaluation, and advocating for health promotion policies and programs.
Also , if a q were to ask the definition of developed and developing countries , would writing  a few characteristics of each into a few sentences suffice? Cause there is no official definition, right?
Again from Key Concepts -
Developed country: a country that has progressed adequately with regard to economic, mortality and demographic indicators.
Developing country: a country that has not progressed adequately with regard to economic, demographic and mortality indicators.

Haven't answered all your questions, but hopefully that was some help!  :)

sunshine98

« Reply #328 on: November 02, 2015, 04:30:43 pm »
^ Thank you emmakate  :)
You know if they ask us to define a determinant of health like social determinant do we have to list evvvvverything that they put as an example ? Like if you just said 'aspects of the society and the social environment that impact on health such as poverty ' rather than 'Aspects of society and the social environment that impact on health, such as poverty, early life experiences, social networks and support' would you get full marks ? (Using social determinant as an example was probs not a good idea cause the physical environment is the one that has so many examples) 

RacquelLuntz

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #329 on: November 02, 2015, 04:59:33 pm »
+1
^ Thank you emmakate  :)
You know if they ask us to define a determinant of health like social determinant do we have to list evvvvverything that they put as an example ? Like if you just said 'aspects of the society and the social environment that impact on health such as poverty ' rather than 'Aspects of society and the social environment that impact on health, such as poverty, early life experiences, social networks and support' would you get full marks ? (Using social determinant as an example was probs not a good idea cause the physical environment is the one that has so many examples)

people can correct me if im wrong, but if this sort of question is worth two marks, state the definition and then examples, seeing as theyre looking for two aspects to mark correct. so, for example, one mark for referring to the physical evironment by 'the environment in which we work, live and play and how this affects health', and another sentence displaying examples, such as geographical proximity to health care, air quality, infrastructure :)
(2014) - Business Management 
(2015) - English, Further Maths, Geography, Health and Human Development, German