Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:13:37 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261935 times)  Share 

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2015, 07:52:41 pm »
With questions that ask to define things such as burden of disease and bilateral aid etc. Do we have to give the exact definition from the advice for teachers glossary??

Losingmotivation

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Some select entry
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
+1
With questions that ask to define things such as burden of disease and bilateral aid etc. Do we have to give the exact definition from the advice for teachers glossary??

Nope, you dont have to give the exact word for word definition :)

imaware

• Forum Regular
  • School: Private
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:27 pm »
I have a question

In regards to Nutrition, when a question asks about the function of a nutrient, does that mean it could be positive or negative ? ( i have heard that you can only talk about positives)
Similarly, when a question asks how a nutrient "adresses" a particular disease, does that refer to the positives only?

Thank you !

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:02 pm »
+4
How would you define sustainable health development? I can't find the exact definition in the study design.

My textbook (Key Concepts in HHD) says: "The capacity for current and future generations to achieve their full potential and lead productive, creative lives in accordance with their needs and interests".

Whereas on a practice exam (Engage) I did, the definition was: "The process of people striving to achieve their full potential, lead more productive lives, expand their choices and meet their needs without compromising the opportunities of future generations to meet their own needs."

Which one would be the most appropriate for the exam?

Engage's is the one I've met before - however, I didn't learn a definition for SHD since it's not on VCAA's glossary and they've never asked it before.  I figured if by some wild chance they did, I'd make it up by combining bits of health, HD and sustainability, primarily the latter two - which is what that Engage definition does.  I think you can safely make it up as VCAA hasn't defined right and wrong there (except to say it's a combination of health, HD and sustainability).

For this key knowledge
 local, state and federal governments' responsibilities for health and health funding 
how many responsibilities should we know? and like for the funding what do we need to know in particular?

Try our notes here and the HHD cheat sheet on the Wiki :)  I'd go with like 3 each (though more in case they ask you about a specific one and who arranges it).

Also for the role of vic health , would this suffice ?
The role of Vic Health : a Victorian state Government imitative which is involved in health promotion and primary prevention of non-communicable diseases in order to promote good health , prevent ill-health and reduce inequalities between population groups in Victoria.

That would be fine; it's the sort of thing you definitely don't have to learn though (if they asked it, you should be able to make it up on the spot by drawing from their mission and strategic priorities - remember if you meet something you're not sure of not to panic because invention is the greatest HHD skill!)

And when analysing data and comparing for Australia and other developed countries my teacher always says we should write 'Australia compares favourably with [insert country]' I always thought this was unnecessary , do we need to do this? 

Honestly don't know for sure; I did that bit just to be sure and to show that you're actually making a comparison rather than stating random data, but can't guarantee either way.

Also , if a q were to ask the definition of developed and developing countries , would writing  a few characteristics of each into a few sentences suffice? Cause there is no official definition, right?

Yep, string together a few characteristics into a coherent definition would work (probably would be better than that key concepts one, too).

To those who did Health and methods exams on the same day what were your approaches?
Did you revise for health after the methods exam or did you just chill etc?

I relaxed for a bit (after reassuring myself that I hadn't done as bad as I thought on the morning exam :P), but then I definitely studied, and I can say that it made a difference to my score - for instance, it was during that study session that I first learnt the 'global health' definition that came up in the exam :P  Basically, I went quickly over study design checking that I knew everything, read, EVERYTHING I could think of that they might possibly ask (as I was aiming for a 50).

But what you do straight before an exam depends on the person; some people get stressed by more study, other people (read: me) wouldn't survive without that cram time.  If you don't know the course so well, avoid trying to learn heaps of new stuff - instead, focus on really solidifying a few key areas and leave the rest to chance.  Don't let yourself panic and start flurrying and scurrying between different parts of the course; pick specific things to learn and just revise them, rather than trying to do everything at once.

You won't be penalised for a couple of wrong words, but my take on it as someone who's marked SACs is that the further you get away from the definition, the more doubt you seed in the marker's mind of whether to give full marks or possibly take one off (since there aren't half-marks) - the closer you are, the less the risk.  Even the pickiest examiner sent straight from hell to plague you can't take a mark off if you're basically word-for-word.

I have a question

In regards to Nutrition, when a question asks about the function of a nutrient, does that mean it could be positive or negative ? ( i have heard that you can only talk about positives)
Similarly, when a question asks how a nutrient "adresses" a particular disease, does that refer to the positives only?

Thank you !

I'd probably go positives for the function - however for things like saturated and trans fats, normally people use the negatives, so I don't think it really matters.

For how a nutrient 'addresses' it, I'd go with positive because that sounds like protective nutrients only.  However, if the question is 'discuss the role of nutrition in addressing X condition', you could say 'reducing consumption of *bad nutrient* will (reduce the buildup of plaque on arterial walls, thus reducing risk of cardiovascular disease....)'.

Don't know if this makes sense :P
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2015, 10:29:49 pm »
For the definitions, i alway get confused between each other because they're so similar. And like i always mix up the words injury/disease/illness :( Shouldn't matter too much???

Also: how do you know if you should go to the positive or negatives of a question. Like How does world peace impact on global health and sustainable human development. . Can you say without world peace there will be . . . therefore if there is peace . . . .

Edit: I found a question on a practice exam: 'Explain how differences in political stability contribute to the difference identified in part a (Australia has lower U5MR and male adult mortality rates that pakistan)
- So could i say that: In australia we have political stability which means we have less deaths due to violence and war hence reducing the child and adult mortality rates in comparison to Pakistan who experience political instability and therefore . .

and for MDG #5 -> increasing access to reproductive health services, is that having trained people at the birth, or having a place where women can seek advice about family planning etc?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:51:13 am by girl1234 »

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2015, 10:58:13 pm »
for this question:

Explain how one of the UN action areas aims to promote global health and sustainable human development (4 marks)

Action area: World peace and security

Explanation: Preventing conflict and keeping peace leads to a safer environment where individuals are not at a safety risk. Therefore, they may be able to continue to work and go to school, enabling them to develop to their full potential and enhancing their capabilities and choices as they are empowered to have wider employment options. If tensions are resolved it is unlikely that they will arise again in the future which enables both current and future generations to have same same ability to attend school and work. This means they are more likely to have better employment prospects in the future, allowing them to be able to afford health promoting resources such as nutritious food, thus reducing morbidity and mortality from malnutrition and improving the health status of the country, leading to equity in health status worldwide.

There weren't any questions like this on VCAA exams (that I remember...) or in Checkpoints, so do you think it is unlikely to get such a lengthy question on the exam?

There were a lot of links to be made and I didn't really know how to approach this

ty in advance :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:12:54 pm by tashhhaaa »

imaware

• Forum Regular
« Reply #336 on: November 03, 2015, 12:05:57 am »
In regards to why an MDG is important, what is the safest link to make?
Should we link it to a health status indicator or HD or just generally?

Thanks

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #337 on: November 03, 2015, 11:28:32 am »
+2
As always, my answers may not be fully coherent, so don't feel bad/please ask me to clarify if needed!

And yay, negotiated with work so I get tomorrow off, so I'll be here all of tomorrow to answer any last-minute questions!  (Obviously anyone else can jump in too, sorry for taking over this thread LOL ::)).

For the definitions, i alway get confused between each other because they're so similar. And like i always mix up the words injury/disease/illness :( Shouldn't matter too much???

If you fully understand in your mind exactly what each health status indicator is about, then you can reel through the definitions in your mind until one exactly matches the concept.  Before learning a word-for-word definition, you've got to understand what the indicator actually is or does - I found doing that made definitions much easier, especially easier not to mix up.  Any particular examples you struggle with.

Injury/disease/illness doesn't really matter, no.

Also: how do you know if you should go to the positive or negatives of a question. Like How does world peace impact on global health and sustainable human development. . Can you say without world peace there will be . . . therefore if there is peace . . . .
Edit: I found a question on a practice exam: 'Explain how differences in political stability contribute to the difference identified in part a (Australia has lower U5MR and male adult mortality rates that pakistan)
- So could i say that: In australia we have political stability which means we have less deaths due to violence and war hence reducing the child and adult mortality rates in comparison to Pakistan who experience political instability and therefore . .

You're fine either way.
Re the edit, that's the perfect general way to answer that sort of question question, well done! :)

and for MDG #5 -> increasing access to reproductive health services, is that having trained people at the birth, or having a place where women can seek advice about family planning etc?

Both, I think.

Explain how one of the UN action areas aims to promote global health and sustainable human development (4 marks)
Action area: World peace and security

Explanation: Preventing conflict and keeping peace leads to a safer environment where individuals are not at a safety risk. Therefore, they may be able to continue to work and go to school, enabling them to develop to their full potential and enhancing their capabilities and choices as they are empowered to have wider employment options. If tensions are resolved it is unlikely that they will arise again in the future which enables both current and future generations to have same same ability to attend school and work. This means they are more likely to have better employment prospects in the future, allowing them to be able to afford health promoting resources such as nutritious food, thus reducing morbidity and mortality from malnutrition and improving the health status of the country, leading to equity in health status worldwide.

There weren't any questions like this on VCAA exams (that I remember...) or in Checkpoints, so do you think it is unlikely to get such a lengthy question on the exam?

There were a lot of links to be made and I didn't really know how to approach this

I can fully imagine a VCAA exam asking this, personally; you could even get a 6-marker like this (probably split into two, i.e. 3 marks for GH and 3 for SHD).

I might start it with: The UN employs disarmament, peacekeeping and conflict mediation, which could decrease risk of disputes turning into violent conflicts.  Then I'd move straight into the mode of 'how does conflict impact HS/HD' from U4 AOS 1, and just explain a couple of specific ways that conflict influences GH and SHD - like, destroying infrastructure like schools and medical facilities; crop destruction; injury from military action; governments paying for weapons not healthcare/education; etc.  Just pick 1-2 and run with those, explaining their impact on GH and SHD, and ignore the rest.

So it's not hard: link to UN, then explain a couple of specific impacts on GH and SHD, and you've earned 4 marks.

In regards to why an MDG is important, what is the safest link to make?  Should we link it to a health status indicator or HD or just generally?

Any or all.  You just want to show why the current state is bad (because it leads to low health status, inhibits HD, etc.), and thus why we need this MDG.  Just think of the biggest baddest impacts of poverty, no education, gender inequality, child mortality, etc., and then explain it - and you should get full marks.  If it asks for two reasons, I'd probably go with health status for one and HD for the other to make them as distinct as possible, but again, it's flexible.

So I just need to clarify something about sustainability:
Question: Explain how undernourishment in developing regions may impact health, HHD and sustainability
That question was in our SAC and I talked about SEE whereas my friend used AAE and both our teachers marked it right.
I'm just confused which one is right because I always used AAE to assess a program and there wasn't any program given in the question.  :-\

SEE is much easier - I can't quite see how you would link this to AAE, anyway.  But since AAE is just about how the aspects of something makes it more sustainable/likely to continue in the future, if you can use it appropriately, I imagine it should get marks.  But use SEE.  (If you gave me an example of how they answered that question, I could be clearer on this).

When it comes to answering questions on sustainability and sustainable human development, what's the difference?

Sustainability = Sustainability
SHD = Sustainability + Human Development (+ in higher mark questions, Health)

So for sustainability questions, you would explain how something influences future generations without compromising the present, and link to social/economic/environmental sustainability; for SHD questions, that would only make up half to one-third of your answer, as the rest would be on HD and possibly health.

VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #338 on: November 03, 2015, 11:54:30 am »
+1
As always, my answers may not be fully coherent, so don't feel bad/please ask me to clarify if needed!

And yay, negotiated with work so I get tomorrow off, so I'll be here all of tomorrow to answer any last-minute questions!  (Obviously anyone else can jump in too, sorry for taking over this thread LOL ::)).

omg!! you're so kind!! ( and you're not taking over this thread haha!!)

thanks for your help once again :D

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »

I can fully imagine a VCAA exam asking this, personally; you could even get a 6-marker like this (probably split into two, i.e. 3 marks for GH and 3 for SHD).

I might start it with: The UN employs disarmament, peacekeeping and conflict mediation, which could decrease risk of disputes turning into violent conflicts.  Then I'd move straight into the mode of 'how does conflict impact HS/HD' from U4 AOS 1, and just explain a couple of specific ways that conflict influences GH and SHD - like, destroying infrastructure like schools and medical facilities; crop destruction; injury from military action; governments paying for weapons not healthcare/education; etc.  Just pick 1-2 and run with those, explaining their impact on GH and SHD, and ignore the rest.

So it's not hard: link to UN, then explain a couple of specific impacts on GH and SHD, and you've earned 4 marks.

so is this an improved answer?
(I only added a couple of sentences at the start, can you please clarify this further?) :)
The UN employs disarmament, peacekeeping and conflict mediation, which could decrease risk of disputes turning into violent conflicts. Conflict leads to crop destruction, destroyed infrastructure and injury from violence. Preventing conflict and keeping peace leads to a safer environment where individuals are not at a safety risk. Therefore, they may be able to continue to work and go to school, enabling them to develop to their full potential and enhancing their capabilities and choices as they are empowered to have wider employment options. If tensions are resolved it is unlikely that they will arise again in the future which enables both current and future generations to have same same ability to attend school and work. This means they are more likely to have better employment prospects in the future, allowing them to be able to afford health promoting resources such as nutritious food, thus reducing morbidity and mortality from malnutrition and improving the health status of the country, leading to equity in health status worldwide.

and wow you took a day off for us?! you're more dedicated than all of my teachers combined, thank you!

imaware

• Forum Regular
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »
For Unit 4 AOS 2 when we have to learn a program on literacy, food security, HIV/Aids etc does it have to be a program that has already been implemented, or could we make it up?
And if we do make it up should we given it a name to make it sound realistic?
For example " The United Nations Global Immunisation Initiative" or something like that?

Thanks

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2015, 03:28:56 pm »
Can someone please clarify the difference between incidence and prevalence
I know the defintions, just need a clarification

sunshine98

« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »
Can someone please clarify the difference between incidence and prevalence
I know the defintions, just need a clarification
While prevalence is the number or proportion of cases of a particular condition present in a population at a given time (definition) , incidence is the number or rate of NEW CASES of a particular condition in a given time

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2015, 04:16:52 pm »
While prevalence is the number or proportion of cases of a particular condition present in a population at a given time (definition) , incidence is the number or rate of NEW CASES of a particular condition in a given time

So if the exam q asked u to explain the difference u would say that?
Basically incidence new cases, prevalence old ?

iClinton

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2015, 04:17:09 pm »

So if the exam q asked u to explain the difference u would say that?
Basically incidence new cases, prevalence current?