Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:42:16 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261956 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2016, 04:44:11 pm »
+1
Thanks you! Can you please give me an example of a 3 mark question asking to explain burden of disease?

It would just be like, explain burden of disease, with 3 marks attached :P

But in that case, you'd probably be wanting to talk about the difference between YLL and YLD; if you felt like overdoing it, you could illustrate with examples (e.g. the BOD from, say, mental health is made up mainly of YLD, whereas in cancer it's mainly YLL (I think? don't even know hahaha, making up me stats like a pro))
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

huehue

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:26 pm »
It would just be like, explain burden of disease, with 3 marks attached :P

But in that case, you'd probably be wanting to talk about the difference between YLL and YLD; if you felt like overdoing it, you could illustrate with examples (e.g. the BOD from, say, mental health is made up mainly of YLD, whereas in cancer it's mainly YLL (I think? don't even know hahaha, making up me stats like a pro))

Hi Bangali, thank you for your answer! Another question, is there an official definition for mortality. The definition in the text book is "deaths in a population", however I feel like it won't get me full marks if asked to define mortality.

Edit: One more question, how does mortality rates affect life expectancy?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2016, 11:04:12 pm »
Hi Bangali, thank you for your answer! Another question, is there an official definition for mortality. The definition in the text book is "deaths in a population", however I feel like it won't get me full marks if asked to define mortality.

I used: 'the number of deaths in a population caused by a disease, illness or other environmental factor'.
(basically the same but with more word-padding haha)

Edit: One more question, how does mortality rates affect life expectancy?

Fairly obvious - high mortality rates = lower life expectancy.  Also, the more 'premature' the mortality, the more impact it has on LE (e.g. high rates of infant mortality significantly lowers the LE, whereas when someone dies at 103, that death doesn't exactly lower the LE much... just think about it and it's obvious).

avince

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #393 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:13 am »
Hello everyone,
I have a SAC on Understanding Australia's health Sac 2, NHPAs and the role of nutrition on the 11th of March,
Is memorizing and just doing practice questions from textbook and checkpoints, good revision techniques? do I need to know the role of each nutrient ie: role of calcium, vitamin d and do I need to know the health promotion program for each NHPA in detail? and lastly, do I need to know any statistics for reasons of selection of each NHPA?

Thanks

Biology (41)

English I Chemistry I Further Mathematics I Health and Human Development I Geography I

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #394 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:36 am »
Is memorizing and just doing practice questions from textbook and checkpoints, good revision techniques
Yeah, probably fine, as long as you understand what you're memorising.  And with things like costs and determinants, if you're rote-learning stuff, you're doing it the wrong way.

A good way can simply be to go through each NHPA in turn and ask yourself this set of questions (closed book):
- What are the key features?
- Why was it chosen?
- What are the costs (direct, indirect and intangible to individual and community)?
- What are 5+ determinants that act as risk factors, and why are they risk factors?
- What health promotion program can I talk about, and what's it about?

Then for each nutrient:
- What are 1-2 functions?
- What are 3-4 main food sources?

And for each of the five conditions you have to relate to nutrients:
- What nutrients act as risk factors, and how?
- What nutrients act as protective factors, and how?

Any time you can't answer one of these questions, welp, you know what to study.  Doing this should cover basically everything you need to study.  This works for other SACs and exam revision too.

do I need to know the role of each nutrient ie: role of calcium, vitamin d, and do I need to know the health promotion program for each NHPA in detail? and lastly, do I need to know any statistics for reasons of selection of each NHPA?

Yes, Yes, and No.

With health promotion programs, though, you can often boil it down into a few dot-points, e.g.
- Shape Up
- Aus Govt
- iphone app, 12 week meal planner
- articles on website
- ... and just a couple more details, and then you can pad it out into full explanatory paragraphs including how it aims to impact the NHPA, which sound detailed but in reality rely on 5-6 little fragments of information you learnt :P

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #395 on: March 10, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »
+1
Yeah, probably fine, as long as you understand what you're memorising.  And with things like costs and determinants, if you're rote-learning stuff, you're doing it the wrong way.

A good way can simply be to go through each NHPA in turn and ask yourself this set of questions (closed book):
- What are the key features?
- Why was it chosen?
- What are the costs (direct, indirect and intangible to individual and community)?
- What are 5+ determinants that act as risk factors, and why are they risk factors?
- What health promotion program can I talk about, and what's it about?

Then for each nutrient:
- What are 1-2 functions?
- What are 3-4 main food sources?

And for each of the five conditions you have to relate to nutrients:
- What nutrients act as risk factors, and how?
- What nutrients act as protective factors, and how?

Any time you can't answer one of these questions, welp, you know what to study.  Doing this should cover basically everything you need to study.  This works for other SACs and exam revision too.

Yes, Yes, and No.

With health promotion programs, though, you can often boil it down into a few dot-points, e.g.
- Shape Up
- Aus Govt
- iphone app, 12 week meal planner
- articles on website
- ... and just a couple more details, and then you can pad it out into full explanatory paragraphs including how it aims to impact the NHPA, which sound detailed but in reality rely on 5-6 little fragments of information you learnt :P

unrelated to HHD soz but I thought I'd let you know that I didn't mean to ignore your PM for a month, but every time I want to reply it says that you can't receive PMs O.O

just to add to avince's question, if you know of some stuff real health promotion programs do you can just fluff around and get marks for it (I did anyway) eg. 'The iPhone app contains meal plans and an activity tracker, providing individuals with health knowledge such as correct portion sizes and nutrient intakes for their age and activity level, as well as facilitating their ability to make healthy choices and improve their physical fitness' which is basically what Heidi said anyway but I'm just trying to reinforce the idea that you can make some things up lol

(totally made up and unspecific but hopefully you get where I'm coming from)

huehue

• Trailblazer
« Reply #396 on: March 19, 2016, 03:55:14 pm »
+1
Few questions:
- What do I need to know for each NHPA?
- What do I need to know for each health promotion program?
- What is the difference between explaining and justifying a health promotion program?
- What statistics do I have to remember? I remember my teacher talking about stats regarding to the NHPA's contribution to burden of disease.
- Are there official definitions of the each NHPA? If so, are they needed?
- How do I explain the reason for the selection of a NHPA?

Thanks in advance for all help : ))

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #397 on: March 19, 2016, 04:51:44 pm »
+2
I might be slightly rusty with HHD but in Heidi's absence, I hope that this will be hopeful:

- What do I need to know for each NHPA?

The study design is pretty handy, here.

You should know key features and reasons, determinants that act as risk factors, direct, indirect and intangible costs to the individual and the community, and a relevant health promotion program.

Remember, you should always refer to the study design.

- What do I need to know for each health promotion program?

Things you might like to consider include the name of the program, by whom the program is implemented, how the program is funded, why the program is important (what it addresses), the aim of the program, and how the program operates (what it actually does).

There is some overlap in these things, and you may not need to write about all of them.

EDIT: After reviewing my notes, here are the things I used to talk about primarily:
1. The reason for the program
2. The type of aid involved in the program
3. Implementation of the program
4. Contribution to the achievement of sustainable human development

- What is the difference between explaining and justifying a health promotion program?

Justifying might require an explanation and then also showing why that program is important. If you're trying to justify a program for cancer control, say, show how that program actually addresses the NHPA and makes a positive difference.

- What statistics do I have to remember? I remember my teacher talking about stats regarding to the NHPA's contribution to burden of disease.

Honestly, I don't think many if at all. Perhaps a general idea of which NHPAs carry the greatest burden of disease (in fact, I'd probably recommend this, because it helps in justifying health promotion programs). I'm happy to be challenged on this, but I don't think you'll need to take in too much knowledge of specific statistics.

- Are there official definitions of the each NHPA? If so, are they needed?

Yes, you should be able to define each NHPA. I'm not sure if there are official definitions, but you could check VCAA's glossary for HHD.

- How do I explain the reason for the selection of a NHPA?

I would try to link it back to something like burden of disease. So, because NHPA X has such a great burden of disease, or cost to the community, or whatever, it requires action. Inaction might see a heavy burden fall back onto the public healthcare system.

Best of luck! Please let me know if any of that didn't make sense, or if you disagree with anything. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:55:12 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

huehue

• Trailblazer
« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2016, 12:51:12 pm »
Hello! Another question; when giving an official definition, do I use the one in the "Advice for teachers" or the one given by the official organisation. For example, WHO's definition of mental health is slightly different to VCAA's.

Edit: another question; is this a good answer to "explain the NHPA injury prevention and control"

Injuries are defined as adverse affects on the human body that result from a range of different events. Such events could be accidental (e.g drowning and sporting injuries) or intentional (self-harm and violence). The NHPA itself addresses the effects of injuries, aiming to reduce the impact of injuries to both the individual and community.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:17:44 pm by huehue »

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #399 on: March 23, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »
Hello! Another question; when giving an official definition, do I use the one in the "Advice for teachers" or the one given by the official organisation. For example, WHO's definition of mental health is slightly different to VCAA's.
Advice for teachers; dodgy as this is, with VCE, you stick by the system not by the truth. :P
(jks, normally the system is great and matches with real life which is why it changes so often to keep up -.-)

Edit: another question; is this a good answer to "explain the NHPA injury prevention and control"

Injuries are defined as adverse affects on the human body that result from a range of different events. Such events could be accidental (e.g drowning and sporting injuries) or intentional (self-harm and violence). The NHPA itself addresses the effects of injuries, aiming to reduce the impact of injuries to both the individual and community.
That's fine, though it could be more concise (so it's easier to learn), e.g.
This NHPA aims to reduce the impact of injuries to the individual and community, where injury is physical harm to the body caused by events such as drowning, sporting injuries, burns, self-harm and violence.

randyz

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Melbourne High
« Reply #400 on: March 26, 2016, 11:11:30 am »
I was just wondering if Worksafe is a Health Promotion program? This is for the NHPA of "Injury Prevention and Control"

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2016, 07:52:21 pm »
I was just wondering if Worksafe is a Health Promotion program? This is for the NHPA of "Injury Prevention and Control"

Check with your teacher to be 100% sure. But I'm pretty sure it is!

randyz

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Melbourne High
« Reply #402 on: March 30, 2016, 11:07:25 pm »
Check with your teacher to be 100% sure. But I'm pretty sure it is!
Thanks, unfortunately my teacher hasn't replied yet, so I've decided to go with "National Binge Drinking Strategy"

avince

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »
Hi guys,
I have a SAC coming up around the 2nd week of May on Models of Health, Health promotion ie: The role of Vic health in promoting health and Australia's healthcare system, there are more to this, but this is just a overview of what will be assessed in the Sac.
So, what should I do to revise between now and the upcoming Sac?
Should I read through the textbook and understand concepts?..memorize definitions after understanding it?
Do practice questions ie: VCAA ones and possibly a practice SAC?
Write notes and summarize key information and defintions on cue cards??
Tips??

Sorry for the long post and asking a lot of questions...

Thanks

Biology (41)

English I Chemistry I Further Mathematics I Health and Human Development I Geography I

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #404 on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:40 pm »
Hi guys,
I have a SAC coming up around the 2nd week of May on Models of Health, Health promotion ie: The role of Vic health in promoting health and Australia's healthcare system, there are more to this, but this is just a overview of what will be assessed in the Sac.
So, what should I do to revise between now and the upcoming Sac?
Should I read through the textbook and understand concepts?..memorize definitions after understanding it?
Do practice questions ie: VCAA ones and possibly a practice SAC?
Write notes and summarize key information and defintions on cue cards??
Tips??

Sorry for the long post and asking a lot of questions...

Thanks

For what you should do for revision, check out the relevant dot point on the study design and make notes on everything it lists.

My strategy for the SACs went something like this and it always worked extremely well for me:
1. Complete all the relevant tasks set by my teacher that relate to the SAC eg. textbook questions
2. Write notes about the entire dot point on the study design
3. Do some Checkpoints questions or other exam style questions on the topic
4. Make little cue cards with the definitions I need to know on them and just memorise
5. Do a practise SAC if I could get one under timed conditions

I'd have all this done at least 1 night before and then I would just recite the notes and the definitions because I hated memorising and I needed to have the concepts 100% clear before I could regurgitate any info so I'd leave that to last. I'd even squeeze in some revision on the morning of or right before the SAC. This was my foolproof method, and I rarely dropped marks so give it a go (maybe not in the same order, do what you want) because it definitely works for some people