Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:15:23 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261943 times)  Share 

duniaaaaa

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #570 on: November 05, 2016, 01:57:20 pm »
OMG YES! i'm dying for a copy of the exam i made the biggest mistakes ever!  >:( :'( :-[ :-\

ttruongxo

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Braybrook College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #571 on: December 13, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »
Hi guys !
Can somebody please help me with this question that's about burden of disease:
"If cardiovascular disease kills more people than cancer, how is it possible that cancer contributes more YLL?"
Thank you so much!

RolyPolySpheal

• Adventurer
  • ゴロロゴロロ…/roll roll...
« Reply #572 on: December 13, 2016, 01:48:19 pm »
"If cardiovascular disease kills more people than cancer, how is it possible that cancer contributes more YLL?"

Cancer can go undetected for many years, especially when it comes to melanomas and such, thereby contributing to YLL without people really knowing it. Meanwhile, CVD causes death after the arteries are plugged to a point where blood flow can't occur any more, which would be easier to detect by the affected person and thus it would be easier to bring a person back to a healthy state.

...or something like that.
2015 - Further Maths, IT Apps
2016 - English, Global Politics, Biology, Japanese SL, HHD
2017 - IT/Arts, Monash Uni

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #573 on: December 13, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »
Hi guys !
Thank you so much!

CVD may kill people faster, leading to death quicker after diagnosis, whereas cancer may linger on for far longer, being constantly treated enough to stay alive but not healthy. (e.g. a heart attack is pretty quick and final and could occur fairly soon after CVD begins, I believe)

That's my guess, anyway. :)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #574 on: December 14, 2016, 11:43:35 am »
*facepalms*

Ignore my incorrect answer above; I interpreted YLL as YLD for some reason.  Forgive me. :P

So, I'm pretty sure that cancer, on average, kills people at a younger age than CVD does, so they 'lose' more years of life.  For instance, I haven't heard of a 10yo dying of CVD but cancers can kill children and young adults, contributing more to YLL. :)

EdwinaB19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #575 on: December 29, 2016, 06:51:24 pm »
What exactly do we need to know about the programs for each NHPA? e.g. aims, effectiveness etc.
2016: Biology [37]

2017: Health & Human Development [45], Psychology [44], Further Mathematics [43], English [39]

2018-2023: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Science @ Monash

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #576 on: December 30, 2016, 10:15:35 am »
+1
What exactly do we need to know about the programs for each NHPA? e.g. aims, effectiveness etc.

This was my formula, and as long as you're specific enough you should get full marks:
1.   name the program
2.   who is running the program
3.   what is the program’s aim
4.   how do they do it (bulk of your response - specific details of the actions the program takes)
5.   the impact of this on the NHPA

:)

littledreamer

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #577 on: January 04, 2017, 05:33:00 pm »
Hi guys, can someone help me with this q? Describe the difference between the WHO definition and the Ottawa Charter definition of health. And just for reference - WHO definition: A complete state of mental, physical and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Ottawa Charter definition of health: a resource for everyday life, not the objective of living. Health is a positive concept emphasising social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities.
Thank you!

uuuu

« Reply #578 on: January 04, 2017, 06:04:19 pm »
Hi guys, can someone help me with this q? Describe the difference between the WHO definition and the Ottawa Charter definition of health. And just for reference - WHO definition: A complete state of mental, physical and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Ottawa Charter definition of health: a resource for everyday life, not the objective of living. Health is a positive concept emphasising social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities.
Thank you!

The Ottawa Charter's definition acknowledges that health differs for everyone; people with disabilities can't achieve optimal physical health like those without for example. Essentially, it gives more leeway in terms of classifying "good health" and makes it more achievable.

j.wang

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #579 on: January 05, 2017, 02:53:51 pm »
Hi

For some definitions there's a date and an organisation (?) e.g. (AIHW, 2008)

Do we need to inc this in our definitions

Also what's the definition of mortality?
The number of deaths caused by a particular disease, illness or other environmental factor (includes infant, under 5, adult and maternal)
OR Relates to death. The concept of mortality is often used in relation to deaths in a population or group
OR something else

uuuu

« Reply #580 on: January 05, 2017, 03:02:51 pm »
+1
Hi

For some definitions there's a date and an organisation (?) e.g. (AIHW, 2008)

Do we need to inc this in our definitions

Also what's the definition of mortality?
The number of deaths caused by a particular disease, illness or other environmental factor (includes infant, under 5, adult and maternal)
OR Relates to death. The concept of mortality is often used in relation to deaths in a population or group
OR something else

No need for the date and organization. The second definition for mortality is correct; the first is for mortality rate.

j.wang

• Forum Regular
« Reply #581 on: January 05, 2017, 03:23:35 pm »
No need for the date and organization. The second definition for mortality is correct; the first is for mortality rate.

Thanks heaps  :)

Is mortality rate in AOS 1?

Also for the examples of physical, mental and social health? Do we need to know all of the ones in the textbook or just 3 or so?

j.wang

• Forum Regular
« Reply #582 on: January 05, 2017, 04:13:43 pm »
Few definition questions... I've checked the study design glossary but my teacher has diff ones and she's mia

What are the definitions of YLL and YLD?

For Under 5 mortality rate, which definition is correct? The number of deaths of children under 5 years of age per 1000 live births./ The rate of deaths occurring in children under 5 years of age per 1000 live births.

For mortality, which definition is correct? Relates to death. The concept of mortality is often used in relation to deaths in a population or group./ Refers to death, often at a population level.

For the definition of incidence, do we include the things in the brackets? The number (or proportion/ rate) of new cases of a condition during a given period of time (often 12 months).

uuuu

« Reply #583 on: January 05, 2017, 06:43:39 pm »

Hey jwang!

Mortality rate is indeed in AOS 1. I've included its key knowledge dot point below. Just remember though, when talking about measures of burden of disease mortality is not a measure; mortality rate is.

Spoiler
Different measures of health status of Australians, including the meaning of burden of disease, health adjusted life expectancy and disability adjusted life years (DALYs), life expectancy, under-five mortality rate, mortality, morbidity, incidence and prevalence.

With regard to health examples, I would know around 3. It'll be useful when you're answering health questions that asks how something affects health (or a specific dimension) as it shows your understanding more.

If you're ever confused with definitions, always follow the glossary as they're guaranteed to be correct.

YLL's definition: A measure of how many years of expected life are lost due to premature death.
YLD's definition: A measure of how many healthy years of life are lost due to illness, injury or disability.

Both U5MR definitions are correct but I'll go with the first (as it comes from the glossary).

Both mortality definitions are essentially the same, just worded differently. Take a pick at which one to use.

Regarding incidence's definition, including the things in brackets wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:29:43 pm by uuuu »

hodang

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #584 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:59 am »
+1
Does anyone have the answers for unit 3 and 4 key concepts hhd book the jacaranda one? it sucks how every subjects has answers except this one